Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Was London built by migrants and refugees?

Migrants played a massive part in the building and the history of our cities, especially London. So, yes, he's partly right.

As the Grandson of a Russian immigrant and he married an Irish immigrant, I'm not sure is Cambridge is being ignorant or trying to stir it up.

If he wants to stir it, I'm sure there are plenty of ELF marches he can go on.

37 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

As the Grandson of a Russian immigrant and he married an Irish immigrant, I'm not sure is Cambridge is being ignorant or trying to stir it up.

If he wants to stir it, I'm sure there are plenty of ELF marches he can go on.

The history of the British Isles has had so many epochs that brought different races to these shores and for many and varied reasons, not one race, creed or colour can entirely lay claim to that which has formed our culture and country. I have a diverse ancestry as have many, and I hugely enjoy and appreciate all the positives that this diversity brings to us all. 

As for Cambridge, I'm sure he will reflect on his post and come to a similar conclusion...

• Like 2

Meanwhile, in northern England, the Vikings certainly played their part. If you see a village/town with a name ending in "by", "thorpe" or "thwaite" then it was probably originally founded by the Vikings.

Yes it was. Like most things are. Generally as They're cheap labour! 

I've not heard the quote in context so don't know what his point was but I'd also say that a main reason the City is so great is because of the multiculturalism.

Edited by The Raptor
Bears

47 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Meanwhile, in northern England, the Vikings certainly played their part. If you see a village/town with a name ending in "by", "thorpe" or "thwaite" then it was probably originally founded by the Vikings.

Norfolk too, very high number of "by" ending settlements here.

According to my dna I have Saxon, Norman and Viking ancestors. So they all came here from somewhere else.

I doubt any of them came here looking to be cheap labour.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

According to my dna I have Saxon, Norman and Viking ancestors. So they all came here from somewhere else.

The Vikings were well known for their "flexible" plumbing rates.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The Vikings were well known for their "flexible" plumbing rates.

Trouble is, they would disappear for a days looting and pillaging and leave you without a working bog.

• Haha 1

On 22/06/2023 at 23:16, keelansgrandad said:

Trouble is, they would disappear for a days looting and pillaging and leave you without a working bog.

I was in Norway at the time of the Omagh bombing. We were at a dinner party hosted by a friend of our host. The subject of Omagh and the Good Friday agreement came up and someone piped up: "It is all the fault of you English." to which I replied, "If you Scandinavians hadn't turned up in Great Britain raping and pillaging us lot, maybe we wouldn't have got the taste for it ourselves in the first place!"

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 20:46, ricardo said:

@ricardo

DNA is fascinating isn't it?  I assumed my mother was as close to 100% English as you can get but apparently not. 

The history of Norwich is just as interesting as London. Many of our streets have names ending in gate which is a Scandinavian word meaning street. 

Most importantly, our club's nickname derives from the canaries brought here by Dutch and Flemish weavers. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Thanks 1

The RWNJs got a note added to Khan's tweet. It got taken away because they don't know their own history. ****wits. 

3 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

most of the east London Docklands now serving hedge funds and banks with an abode, were built by french prisoners of war, afaik.

And when all the offices are empty in Docklands because people are working from home or Frankfurt, they will become effigies of greed and excess. Then people can wonder why we left it to China to manufacture everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1