19 minutes ago, Herman said:

We've given ourselves a chance. Just need to cut out the stupid shot choices.

That’s easier said than done - we’ve resorted to the Aussie short ball tactic, their runs dried up and we have taken wickets; there’s nowhere to go to score unless you take it on (where you’ll get out before long) or go for the random (how Brook got out) - and look stupid in the process.  V strange Test.

• Like 1

That answers the question from the other day with Smiths catch also touching the floor but still being given out, he had his fingers under whereas Starc didn't. You learn something new 👍

13 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

That answers the question from the other day with Smiths catch also touching the floor but still being given out, he had his fingers under whereas Starc didn't. You learn something new 👍

It is strange though as I felt Starc had the ball firmly in his grasp the whole time and before it touched the grass. Whereas the catch for Smith seemed to pop through his fingers and it looked like the turf helped support the catch? I know he had a finger under the ball, but the ball was in no way locked into his hand the same way it was for Starc at all IMO.

Game over either way, expected they’ll rip through us by lunch tomorrow…

• Like 1

I think there’s been a couple of catches recently v India where Aussie got the decision.

It’s an interesting one - he definitely had it under control but no one can argue that he does drag the ball on the ground whilst still moving, so it’s not out. Bit fortunate for England, but I doubt it will make that much difference in the final reckoning.

Edited by Branston Pickle

It's an interesting one especially as Strauss thinks the Starc one was wrong, and Ponting thinks the Smith one was wrong.

Laws of cricket - caught

"33.3 Making a catch

The act of making a catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement."

I haven't seen the catch. If he grounded it while diving, I would expect it to be  not out 

There was a time before cameras, replays and slo-mo when players would own up if they thought their catch was in some way unfair.

The benefit of doubt was always given to the batsman in any case.

In batting it was called "walking."

The last great walker was Adam Gilchrist who, incidentally, was the first great bazballer.

Edited by BroadstairsR

21 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

There was a time before cameras, replays and slo-mo when players would own up if they thought their catch was in some way unfair.

The benefit of doubt was always given to the batsman in any case.

In batting it was called "walking."

The last great walker was Adam Gilchrist who, incidentally, was the first great bazballer

Gilchrist was a great player for sure. and to be fair to Starc, he is a fantastic player and I don’t think he ‘cheated’.

These days you won’t find many ‘walkers’, they say it’s up to the umpires. And to be fair, they will undoubtedly have had plenty of poor decisions against them so imo that’s fine.

Stopped watching it once we were all out in the first innings  it was game over being a 100 runs behind against such a good team. And TBH i hate watching the aussies P**s all over us, you cant play one day cricket in a test match against this lot you have to use your brain and hold back at times. 

Edited by Dame to Blame
  • Like 1

I'm geoblocked, so unable to see the link that @Branston Pickle has put up

I'll try to see if I can find a video tomorrow 

From what I've read, Duckett was on his way to the pavilion before he stopped.

Walking was honourable, but difficult to accept as normal as the batter still had to go when they had a bad decision against them. I remember Nasser Hussain getting some really rough decisions for some time

I guess its possible that Mitchell Starc didn't fully understand the law. I didn't, until I looked it up.

Australia have been the best team in this test, and I expect them to win. It would need something extraordinary from England to get close. Stokes and Bairstow are capable of it  but it's the longest of shots 

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Gilchrist was a great player for sure. and to be fair to Starc, he is a fantastic player and I don’t think he ‘cheated’.

These days you won’t find many ‘walkers’, they say it’s up to the umpires. And to be fair, they will undoubtedly have had plenty of poor decisions against them so imo that’s fine.

Probably not intentionally, but there's cheating and there's cheating:-

(As I said, there's 'benefit of doubt.' ) 

Mitchell Starc grounds his catch at Lord's -The umpires are right – Mitchell Starc did not complete the catch

Betting odds in cricket are absurdly poor.

England 7/2 to win. 7/2 for a record breaking run chase when they’re already 4 down with a long tail?

I know that’s not how the odds are calculated but I’d guess are actual chances are more like 50 to 1?

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Betting odds in cricket are absurdly poor.

England 7/2 to win. 7/2 for a record breaking run chase when they’re already 4 down with a long tail?

I know that’s not how the odds are calculated but I’d guess are actual chances are more like 50 to 1?

No value in those odds. Keep your money in your pocket.

Killer wicket. 

Carey has been fantastic behind the stumps this series. Bairstow has been a liability for us. Makes a big difference.

You do feel that’s it, but you never know.  Carey is a very good keeper, sadly Bairstow isn’t a patch on him or we’d have won the first test comfortably

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You do feel that’s it, but you never know.  Carey is a very good keeper, sadly Bairstow isn’t a patch on him or we’d have won the first test comfortably

Miracles can happen but I'd be  shocked if we get more than 250/270.