I like the way we play, but there’s also a time when pragmatism should be a consideration - there’s no problem playing yourself in a bit.  If we don’t get 350 minimum, it’ll be pretty criminal….though you never know what Anderson-Broad might produce.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

I like the way we play, but there’s also a time when pragmatism should be a consideration - there’s no problem playing yourself in a bit.  If we don’t get 350 minimum, it’ll be pretty criminal….though you never know what Anderson-Broad might produce.

Yeah I find Stokes is one of the worst offenders for this. Obviously when it comes off it is great but when it doesn't coming out swinging like that can cause huge momentum swings.

Someone just had this posted on the Beeb live text (not me, I hasten to add!):

Seems like 'Bazball' has worked for most of England's batting line up except for Stokes, who was arguably the most Bazball to begin with. Almost like he feels the need to out Bazball everyone else, but ends up giving his wicket away cheaply. No doubt he's led an absolute revolution in Test cricket, but it feels like he's less of a threat with the bat now because of his tendency to attempt to get 18 runs off the first two balls he faces...

…hard to disagree with that!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Seems like 'Bazball' has worked for most of England's batting line up except for Stokes, who was arguably the most Bazball to begin with. Almost like he feels the need to out Bazball everyone else, but ends up giving his wicket away cheaply. No doubt he's led an absolute revolution in Test cricket, but it feels like he's less of a threat with the bat now because of his tendency to attempt to get 18 runs off the first two balls he faces...

Excelling as a captain though.Root needed to be free of that role too before potentially ruining his test career. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Excelling as a captain though.Root needed to be free of that role too before potentially ruining his test career. 

Totally. Love Root but his captaincy was woeful. 

Now we need him and JB to get a hundred partnership and resettle everything so Mooen can come in and hit freely.

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Absolutely. And the most annoying thing is that the pre-Bazball Stokes was really good at playing his way in... you'd often see him get about 10 from his first 40 deliveries before accelerating brilliantly. We've got five whole days FFS!

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

The sledging gets a bit OTT sometimes but there’s more sportsmanship than ever will be in football

Best Ashes sledge:

Rod Marsh to Ian Botham: "Hi Beefy. How's your wife and my kids?"

Ian Botham to Rod Marsh, quick as a flash: "The wife's fine, but the kids are retarded."

• Like 1

I think we have to give Stokes a bit of leeway. All rounders are so useful to a team and England have always preferred one. So is it Stokes or Bairstow. Probably both.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Going to be over 400 runs on the first day. Back in the day 250 was the norm, great start to the series.

Root is losing partners... so I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Root is losing partners... so I doubt it.

Allowing for Australia to score a few too should get to the 400. 

Just now, Herman said:

Declared!!!😲

Bloody brilliant. It must be so unsettling for the opponent playing a team like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Declared!!!😲

Always seems crazy to me with so much time left but it appears to be the new way to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Always seems crazy to me with so much time left but it appears to be the new way to play.

Stokes is a brave captain and getting the deserved results. 

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's a bit of a shock this new way but it does make the game more exciting. Which in fairness it did need to keep it relevant in the age of T20.

Just now, Herman said:

It's a bit of a shock this new way but it does make the game more exciting. Which in fairness it did need to keep it relevant in the age of T20.

Boycott shakes his head. 

True but batting first is about making full use of your innings but wtf do I know. The game seems to have moved into a different dimension.

Perhaps they are worried about the weather forecast.

Edited by ricardo

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Boycott shakes his head. 

😂

I bet he's fuming.

It will inevitably lose us some matches, possibly this one, but it will win us more than it loses us I reckon.

The openers will be heading to the crease ****ting themselves, wanting a shower and to put their feet up but instead they're getting Broad chucking balls at them at 80+ mph. Whereas the England players will be buzzing, confident and fired up.