Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Maddison

With Leics down, I expect James will be off. Though whether that relegation might mean a lower fee is a moot point. My understanding is we get 15% of any sum over £25m - or thereabouts. £45m would mean £3m. Which would be a welcome amount given we are bankrupt, £30m in debt, a few days away from liquidation etc ..... according to the usual suspects on here.

Aarons fee is an unknown. He is in the U21 squad, but in the last year of his contract, so I fear we maybe in for a shock either way. We should also get at least our money back on Rashica, and if we get a 'silly' offer for Omo, that should leave us with enough to sign some decent players. However, the problem is not one of scarcity of money, but how well we spend it.

Which has been pretty much hit and miss recently.

Edited by PockthorpePete

Maddison needs, for both our and Leicester's sakes, two clubs, at least, desperate to sign him.

It does seem, however, and contrary to that, whilst there is interest in him-Newcastle and Tottenham as we are led to believe-neither seem desperate to sign him and there hasn't been a flurry of stories, like there is with McAllister and Liverpool or Mount and Man Utd-about a move, pending or otherwise.

A sign of a buyers market or that whilst clubs will be interested, he isn't a priority for anyone at the moment, maybe because there could be equivalent players, better players maybe, available in Spain, Germany, Portugal etc, for a similar or even lower price.

It's going to be a slow burner. But then when we sold him, weren't Leicester the only club who were interested?

I think the days of £25m (?) for Godfrey have passed. Maddison is now 26 with Aarons being 23. Less playing days left in them than Godfrey. And much of the transfer market is still a chain. I am sure there are players we would sign but need to be certain of money from Rashica and Maddisons sell on first (not down to passing round the blanket just yet though 😏)

I fear any deal for Maddison will be laden with add-ons now. £45m might be the final price subject International caps, Champions League qualification etc etc, but will mean we either get a lower £ amount or having to wait until the add-ons materialise, which could be never.

Maddison is good but he's not in that world class. 

59 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I fear any deal for Maddison will be laden with add-ons now. £45m might be the final price subject International caps, Champions League qualification etc etc, but will mean we either get a lower £ amount or having to wait until the add-ons materialise, which could be never.

Maddison is good but he's not in that world class. 

i don't think addons are carried forward If they are as you suggest then Coventry would be entitled to more money when JM played for England at Leic etc We get a percentage of the difference between what we sold JM for, and what Leic sell him for.

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

i don't think addons are carried forward If they are as you suggest then Coventry would be entitled to more money when JM played for England at Leic etc We get a percentage of the difference between what we sold JM for, and what Leic sell him for.

It will depend on how the clauses are worded. I think Coventry did actually get a payment from us when Maddison started his first competitive International.

In a better side Maddison is absolutely on the highest level. He is an England international at 26, overlooked due to Gareth Boregate’s strategy in playing those he trusts in a system he trusts. He is also a player with years of EPL under his belt, so is ready made to start without adaptation. He will achieve big enough money we will get a chunk of it in my opinion. £45 million I would suggest is the bottom of an amount he would go for surely. 

• Like 2

£45m was merely a figure used to illustrate what we would be due (£3m), rather than it being any projection as what is the likely amount. And had I used say, £65m - it would, I have no doubt, turned the thread into claims I was way out.  It is about how much we can generate, and from where.

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

£45m was merely a figure used to illustrate what we would be due (£3m), rather than it being any projection as what is the likely amount. And had I used say, £65m - it would, I have no doubt, turned the thread into claims I was way out.  It is about how much we can generate, and from where.

Mac Allister has been sold to Liverpool for £55m per today's press reports. Madds is probably on a par, so £45m to £65m is surely not unrealistic.

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Mac Allister has been sold to Liverpool for £55m per today's press reports. Madds is probably on a par, so £45m to £65m is surely not unrealistic.

Maddison only has one year left on his contract and Leicester, following relegation, have a far weaker hand than Brighton, in the sense that Maddison clearly won't want to play Championship football and they are more in need of the money. 

7 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Which would be a welcome amount given we are bankrupt, £30m in debt, a few days away from liquidation etc ..... according to the usual suspects on here.

I must have missed those posts so could you please point me in the right direction as to where that has been said recently ?

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

MacAllister's fee was a buyout clause I believe, but I don't disagree with your overall valuation.  His goal return from midfield alone should put him in that bracket and he offers creativity as well in the right team.

That said, I think I read somewhere in the last couple of days that Leicester would consider bids north of £40m. Given that is the figure touted for JWP as well, we could definitely do with an auction !

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

It is rare for a player to be sold for what might be thought his worth. It is what the other club are willing/able to pay. Ben Gdfrey. A £65m fee would net as a handsome £6m, assuming the OP figures are correct.

It does usually require one hefty sale to get the ball rolling, as the money then gets dispersed further done the pecking order. Maddison to Spurs, if they sell Kane ?

Newcastle is Saudi, they have deep pockets. Deep enough to buy the PGA into completely u-turning on their ‘principles’, so paying 50+ million for Maddison is nothing to them. 

On 06/06/2023 at 22:34, PockthorpePete said:

It is rare for a player to be sold for what might be thought his worth. It is what the other club are willing/able to pay. Ben Gdfrey. A £65m fee would net as a handsome £6m, assuming the OP figures are correct.

It does usually require one hefty sale to get the ball rolling, as the money then gets dispersed further done the pecking order. Maddison to Spurs, if they sell Kane ?

"Tottenham have learned the price it will take to sign James Maddison this summer.

Reports claim that new Spurs manager Ange Postecoglou has asked for the England playmaker to be made his first signing in north London as he looks to install an exciting, attacking brand of football.

Per the Daily Mail, Tottenham will have to splash out £60m to land Maddison, who is almost certain to leave Leicester after their relegation from the Premier League.

That is despite the player having just one year left on his contract in the East Midlands, with the Foxes said to be hoping that rival interest between Spurs and Newcastle will protect that hefty price tag."   Evening Standard

£60m would net around a £5m payout for us.

56 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

"Tottenham have learned the price it will take to sign James Maddison this summer.

Reports claim that new Spurs manager Ange Postecoglou has asked for the England playmaker to be made his first signing in north London as he looks to install an exciting, attacking brand of football.

Per the Daily Mail, Tottenham will have to splash out £60m to land Maddison, who is almost certain to leave Leicester after their relegation from the Premier League.

That is despite the player having just one year left on his contract in the East Midlands, with the Foxes said to be hoping that rival interest between Spurs and Newcastle will protect that hefty price tag."   Evening Standard

£60m would net around a £5m payout for us.

The only way he’s going for that much is if there’s a bidding war, so not surprised Leicester are desperate to create that narrative.

On 06/06/2023 at 12:39, PockthorpePete said:

Aarons fee is an unknown. He is in the U21 squad, but in the last year of his contract, so I fear we maybe in for a shock either way

I suspect 15-20 million. 

Fortunately he's a player that isn't going to be looking to screw the club to force a move.