Sign in to follow this  
pete

World-class Academy

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Tomkinson is 21, 2 months older than Omo and was sitting on the bench in League 2.

I didn't follow what was going on in League 2 to know why or how many minutes he played - was it that they had a better CB, or did he pick up a knock?  

I felt he looked pretty good for us in the cup matches, I would've played him ahead of Gibson based on those few watches.  But not a fan of Gibson, like AO they're both prone to making stupid mistakes.  At least Grant brings a physical lump and an incredible knack of winning freekicks from defensive positions.

Tomkinson seems like he brings that same business approach to the backline.

Edited by Google Bot

27 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It seems to me Mr Fruit is the only one who knows about our academy teams and Hoggy is the only one who listened to the interviews. 

It's that old perspective again...

As for Starmer - he's aiming for a middle ground. That half-way house that folk yearn for but doesn't exist. Looking like if I vote at all I'll vote green.

Starmer has 38 free hits then

I think our u21 seem so sparse at the minute because most of the players who could still be in it have already graduated to the first team (or gone out on loan). When people talk about a conveyor belt of talent, it's more that you hope 1/2 come through a year, not a player in every position. The u21s as I see it now have a squad of players who will probably be leaving the club once their deals are up. Omo and Rowe both hit the first team at 18, Gibbs at 19. If we were a bigger club then they'd probably both still be playing in that team but the nature of where we are means they come up earlier. It's one of the reasons we'll be able to sell Omo for a good fee this summer. 

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not at all. Yes, I would have kept DF and sacked him. Whatever goes on the rest of the club, the team is the most important. And the club and especially we, were let down by Webber and the Board in that first season in the EPL. We can't get rid of the board and I wouldn't advocate that. But we can replace the man in the middle.

Yeah, we can do. But presumably the board are happy enough with the "overall progress" the club has made on and off the pitch since Webber first came in. Our first poor Championship season since the one he joined is definitely disappointing and definitely a failure but I don't think it requires a sacking unless the board believe they can find someone better or move in a different direction. And to be fair, Webber said exactly that himself. 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, we can do. But presumably the board are happy enough with the "overall progress" the club has made on and off the pitch since Webber first came in. Our first poor Championship season since the one he joined is definitely disappointing and definitely a failure but I don't think it requires a sacking unless the board believe they can find someone better or move in a different direction. And to be fair, Webber said exactly that himself. 

Of course we have no say but that is the whole point of this debate. Its the only say we have especially us ex pats.

1 hour ago, tsj1999 said:

"world class academy" but our u21s are below average and our u18s are the worst in the country?

I think it was Sir Alex Ferguson that used to say that it was an issue if your youth teams were winning too much because if they are the players aren't being tested. Our u23s are particularly young, mostly 18 and 19 year olds with older players being sent out on loan.

14 minutes ago, repman said:

I think our u21 seem so sparse at the minute because most of the players who could still be in it have already graduated to the first team (or gone out on loan). When people talk about a conveyor belt of talent, it's more that you hope 1/2 come through a year, not a player in every position. The u21s as I see it now have a squad of players who will probably be leaving the club once their deals are up. Omo and Rowe both hit the first team at 18, Gibbs at 19. If we were a bigger club then they'd probably both still be playing in that team but the nature of where we are means they come up earlier. It's one of the reasons we'll be able to sell Omo for a good fee this summer. 

This is true and it's why it's unfair to look at the youth teams' league positions and be too critical 

If you look at the U21s starting teams they change a lot week by week as the better players get shifted up to the full squad and sometimes people from the 1st team drop down for game time (often at short notice)

It's not conducive to making a consistent team so the league position generally means nothing

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

This is true and it's why it's unfair to look at the youth teams' league positions and be too critical 

If you look at the U21s starting teams they change a lot week by week as the better players get shifted up to the full squad and sometimes people from the 1st team drop down for game time (often at short notice)

It's not conducive to making a consistent team so the league position generally means nothing

surely its the same for all the other teams too? just means we are awful

28 minutes ago, tsj1999 said:

surely its the same for all the other teams too? just means we are awful

Not really, because we are have more U21s breaking into our 1st team than most so it applies to us more than others

4 hours ago, king canary said:

My point is those stats are a bit massaged in my view.

I don't think Liam Gibbs is an academy graduate frankly. He was 18 when he joined, had first team football under his belt at Ipswich and was training with the first team last season too. To me having spent 6 months in our academy when you've spent 4 or 5 years in someone else's means he isn't a Norwich academy graduate.

I'm aware not everyone will agree but there we go.

"A Club Developed Player is a player who has been registered with the relevant club for a minimum of 12 months prior to the end of his Under-19 season"

That's the rule for all football clubs, whether you like it or not. 

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or is it because we were in the EPL and Ispwich in L1? And talking of the Murphys, Cantwell is in the past. Stop keep going on about the past. Its now that counts. Our academy is not producing the same quality at the moment and our signings hav been left wanting even at Championship level.

I was replying to a comment that made erroneous claims about what happened in the past. Correcting a lie is hardly going on about the pasr.Understand the difference between comment and reply.

20 minutes ago, percy varco said:

World Class is a business buzzword adjective that is put infront of many things. 
What does it actually mean?

'Best in class' is another buzz phrase but perhaps would be more relevant. However if you don't aim for world class you've got no ambition Buh.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

'Best in class' is another buzz phrase but perhaps would be more relevant. However if you don't aim for world class you've got no ambition Buh.

We have World Class so must be aiming for Over the Moon class next

1 hour ago, percy varco said:

World Class is a business buzzword adjective that is put infront of many things. 
What does it actually mean?

I see it as wherever we're pulling players from we can demonstrate a standard that is better, if not equal to what they are already accustomed to.