Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

The run in

55 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I predict 11 to 14 points for us.. 

Well, I would but given how inconstant we are I really don't know 

I think 12 or 13. Looking at the Blackburn fixtures that should be enough, especially as Blackburn are playing Millwall on the last day. 

If we can get four points from the Rotherham and Boro games then the rest of our season is pretty friendly. Still can't believe we're in contention, but not complaining.

• Like 1

I think injuries could be the massive obstacle for us. Potentially enough to get through Monday although Hugill may enjoy a physical battle vs Sorensen...

After that, we have to hope Gibson is back very soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think injuries could be the massive obstacle for us.

Probably right, but it would be ironic if our 'bloated' squad came through for us in the last six games. Not too many clubs who could have dealt with the loss of McLean, Hanley and Gibson and won like we did yesterday.

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Probably right, but it would be ironic if our 'bloated' squad came through for us in the last six games. Not too many clubs who could have dealt with the loss of McLean, Hanley and Gibson and won like we did yesterday.

I'm interested to see if we call up any youth defenders.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm interested to see if we call up any youth defenders.

Delicate judgment, isn't it? It's got to be right for the young players concerned. Getting chucked in before they're ready could really set them back. I don't know anything about who we have in the u23s and whether they're in contention or not, I just hope we get it right. Obviously a shame that Tomkinson's out on loan.

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I agree. But imagine Sorensen or Omo get a knock? We are really struggling.

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Delicate judgment, isn't it? It's got to be right for the young players concerned. Getting chucked in before they're ready could really set them back. I don't know anything about who we have in the u23s and whether they're in contention or not, I just hope we get it right. Obviously a shame that Tomkinson's out on loan.

Coming out of the academy and into the first team did not do Omobamidele any harm. And if Hanleys injury is so bad that he misses a chunk of next season too then we will need all the backup we can get

Just now, hogesar said:

I agree. But imagine Sorensen or Omo get a knock? We are really struggling.

Totally. If you want a further irony, imagine Isaac Hayden coming in and delivering some heroic performances at centre-half, thereby securing promotion and triggering his permanent signing...

• Haha 2

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Totally. If you want a further irony, imagine Isaac Hayden coming in and delivering some heroic performances at centre-half, thereby securing promotion and triggering his permanent signing...

You've got me dreaming..

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Coming out of the academy and into the first team did not do Omobamidele any harm.

Sure, but he was clearly ready (and Farke was a genius at integrating young players). That's my point. Not saying those currently in the U23s aren't ready, just that it's a delicate decision.

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If I'm not mistaken, the permanent deal is partially linked to appearances, and I doubt he'd make enough to trigger it even if he played every game for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If I'm not mistaken, the permanent deal is partially linked to appearances, and I doubt he'd make enough to trigger it even if he played every game for the rest of the season.

Yes, I think you're right. I was mostly joking, tbh. But it would be funny if, having missed virtually all season, he did come back at the death and play a crucial role in getting us up.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah think it's fair to say that while on paper Hayden seems like a good deal and just what we need.. It's not worked out in practice and chances are he's back to Newcastle where upon I feel he will ever get released on a free or get sold cheaply

I'll reserve judgement until after Monday, there have been too many false dawns this season. I am hopeful that the injuries will galvanise the guys that remain fit, Sorensen has rarely let us down in defence, Gibbs looked like the player I hoped he would be yesterday, the energy in the side was on another level from what I have seen at home, can we reproduce it? Cant wait to find out!!

Blackburn, -2 goal diff(!) with a game in hand, have to play 3 of the top 6 and another 2 of the 'second 6' in their run in.  Their spot is surely up for grabs by someone.  Preston from 12th to 8th in 2 games are worth watching and while they have to play 3 of top 6 and 1 of 2nd 6, so not many easy games for them, they're right behind us now and they worry me.  We appear to have the 'easiest' run in of all top 12 teams for our last games with only Boro and WBA to play, which probably worries me too.  This and the bottom of the Premier League, cracking end to the season this year.

5 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It’s a big ask. Our injuries are horrendous . And there will be twists and turns . 

As someone once said. I hope I’m wrong. 

You'll probably be right. But the one cause for optimism is that weirdly the injuries take a bit of pressure off the players who are still fit. We're almost underdogs for the first time this season. I'm actually looking forward to it - and I won't be too disappointed if we miss out: hopefully we'll at least see some sparks of hope for next season.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don’t think we were ever any further than conjecture re: what would trigger Hayden’s permanent signing - it seemed to be assumed it was promotion and/or appearances.  If he came in and played well for the next 6/8/9 games, who knows…

Impossible to confidently predict anything when it comes to the Championship and the season finale.

Some teams will crack under pressure, others will thrive. Some teams will be on the beach, others will play without fear or expectation.

Roll the dice!

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

He did play there for Newcastle for a few games I seem to recall.  May even be a bit easier physically for him than coming straight back in to midfield given how sluggish he seemed for his first few appearances earlier in the season.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that.  How unlucky are we as a club with injuries to multiple centre backs at the same time though ?!

If we keep the five in midfield then I think we will compete better than of late. I think we will be far more solid in midfield and Sara can play on the front foot. On paper you would expect 13 points from the remaining and that would no doubt see us in post season.

Its normally mid 70 points to make it but 70 did not so long ago. This year it might well be low 70s so we have a chance.

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think we'll finish 5th, which seems extraordinary 

Screenshot_20230408_051204_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.16f55219d50ae515bdbef8231d7813b0.jpgScreenshot_20230408_050840_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.5165135c0b01370acf2c028a5787453d.jpgScreenshot_20230408_050826_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.d04dc311813fb6cd03fd6cbc7c6e83b6.jpgScreenshot_20230408_050803_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.e465eafc65210203e0d8bfde6c8ee864.jpg

I did the usual exercise around teatime - the kind I do every year, forecasting the results of a few teams (this time with the whole 24). And I also have us finishing 5th (on 73 points). If this happy thing happens then it's difficult to know whether our play off would be against Boro or Luton (separated by only one point in my fantasy projections). Milwall being 6th. A whole host of teams end up in 7th spot! And Reading or QPR to join Blackpool and Wigan.

How one result yesterday has changed my whole outlook for our team!

Edited by sonyc

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I did the usual exercise around teatime - the kind I do every year, forecasting the results of a few teams (this time with the whole 24). And I also have us finishing 5th (on 73 points). If this happy thing happens then it's difficult to know whether our play off would be against Boro or Luton (separated by only one point in my fantasy projections). Milwall being 6th. A whole host of teams end up in 7th spot! And Reading or QPR to join Blackpool and Wigan.

How one result yesterday has changed my whole outlook for our team!

I had us 5th with 73 points with Blackburn missing out. I think Millwall will batter their way into 6th.

Let's just go for it. If we concede 4 then we'll score 5 mentality.

I loved the spontaneity of yesterday's performance. I'd far rather watch that than turgid possession football with no end product.

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think we were ever any further than conjecture re: what would trigger Hayden’s permanent signing - it seemed to be assumed it was promotion and/or appearances.  If he came in and played well for the next 6/8/9 games, who knows…

My guess is that the obligation would be triggered based on promotion with Hayden playing a certain amount of games, probably about half or a little bit more. 

We might still have an option though, but even if we do, I doubt we'd be keen on taking it up unless Hayden comes in and does really well in a successful promotion charge.