Sign in to follow this  
Richard Richard

Women's football

Just opened the Sky Sports app to see the top headline: "Liverpool held by Everton after confusion over disallowed goal".

"International break isn't it?" I thought to myself before reading a couple more lines and realising it wasn't men's football but the NEW men's football - WOMEN's football.

It's everywhere. Sky and BBC have clearly made policy decisions to report on games just like men's results, mentioning player's names like they're household names - "Yeah, you know Lisa McFootballer and Jess Van Soccer, they're lionesses, of course they are".

Well, if I want to watch a women's match or find out a score (I don't want to do either) I can look it up thanks very much.

Unfortunately, as is the way with modern media, it's front-loaded on every possible platform so there's no bleeding escape from it. How about WE (the media) tell YOU (the public) what you're supposed to like? We've gotten pretty good at it over the years. The current thing to push will be, erm, I know - women in football! Let's report on it, and get female commentators in and then make them celebrity's so they can go on to host games shows. Great idea! Aren't we so inclusive - high five!

My problem is not actually with women playing football - fine! Enjoy, be an inspiration for youngsters, make a career of it, a legend in women's football, whatever.

My problem is that the standard is utter dross. I've tried watching a few games and have had to turn it off after a few minutes. The goalkeeping is comical, watching them dive over the top of a shot from 20 yards dribbling over the line at 3mph. 

"But women are not as physically strong and fast as men!" I hear you cry. Correct. Which is why their game is so poor in comparison.

Point in case was the Australian Women's national team beaten 7:0 by a club team's 15 year olds in 2016. Highlights the HUGE difference in quality and the reason I just can't bare to watch it.

Touchy subject I know. I'll await the deluge of accusatory replies from those who manage girl's teams and who actually champion women's football for their own reasons.

Not for me though.

COYY

• Like 2

Id say there's enough on telly that if you really dislike womens footy.....watch something else  ...or better still,  DO something else. 

I dont watch romcoms or chick flicks, doesnt bother me that theyre on though.

• Like 2

Wait  till MOTD becomes truly inclusive....alternate mens/ womens games on the show...... B B B B Baby you just aint seen nothin yet. Gonna be some burst blood vessels. 

You've gone on a multiparagraph rant because the sky sports app showed you the result of a women's game. 

I bet you also call people snowflakes.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Wait  till MOTD becomes truly inclusive....alternate mens/ womens games on the show...... B B B B Baby you just aint seen nothin yet. Gonna be some burst blood vessels. 

That's an interesting concept (and probably inevitable). On a serious note Corky - would you still watch it?

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

You've gone on a multiparagraph rant because the sky sports app showed you the result of a women's game. 

Not quite as black and white as that KC. Multi-paragraph rant, I grant you. It's as much about being force-fed someone else's agenda as it is the poor quality of women's football (in my opinion of course).

Sky Sports app this morning just a trigger, not my sole reason for ranting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

That's an interesting concept (and probably inevitable). On a serious note Corky - would you still watch it?

Don't often watch it as it is, but nah wouldnt bother  me much, by the time 1030 comes , im either in the sack or not in tbe right frame of mind for telly anyway.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Some people ARE snowflakes. Anyone ever discussed the  Body density of black people with someone under 30...and the effect  that has on their  prospects of being top class swimmers? ...i did, and was met with " you cant say that"... despite it being a fact. I had to resort to finding  a Guardian( see what i did there) article called something like      " tbe uncomfortable truth"to calm said offended youngster down... they still werent happy though.....didnt fit their view of the world.   Now there are other factors such as lack of acces to training facilities etc but a fact remains a fact. 

• Like 1

If you don't like it don't watch it.

If you don't like it and rant about it on an Internet message board, get a life.

I can't stand Rugby Union, but I don't **** my pants and weep over my computer's keyboard when I see a Six Nations result on the BBC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Some people ARE snowflakes. Anyone ever discussed the  Body density of black people with someone under 30...and the effect  that has on their  prospects of being top class swimmers? ...i did, and was met with " you cant say that"... despite it being a fact. I had to resort to finding  a Guardian( see what i did there) article called something like      " tbe uncomfortable truth"to calm said offended youngster down... they still werent happy though.....didnt fit their view of the world.   Now there are other factors such as lack of acces to training facilities etc but a fact remains a fact. 

Praise the Lord, first reply with any substance to it!

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

If you don't like it don't watch it.

If you don't like it and rant about it on an Internet message board, get a life.

I can't stand Rugby Union, but I don't **** my pants and weep over my computer's keyboard when I see a Six Nations result on the BBC.,

No pant-sh!tting or weeping here CD. 

Presumably your reaction to hearing a Six Nations result is one of "I don't care"?

Why can't I have the same reaction to women's football? Wouldn't you object if you suddenly had a deluge of rugby players flooding social media, on the news, being held up as new superstars? Not a great example to use but the same principle applies.

13 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

No pant-sh!tting or weeping here CD. 

Presumably your reaction to hearing a Six Nations result is one of "I don't care"?

Why can't I have the same reaction to women's football? Wouldn't you object if you suddenly had a deluge of rugby players flooding social media, on the news, being held up as new superstars? Not a great example to use but the same principle applies.

You can have the same reaction.

Posting a multiparagraph rant isn't the same as 'I don't care.'

You clearly care otherwise you wouldnt have felt moved to post. It isn't that hard.

And no I wouldn't object. For example I don't care about golf but I don't object that when there is a big golf tournament on that it's on the TV or that Sky advertise it, or that it on yhe front page of bbc sport. Because other people do care and more power to them.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

You can have the same reaction.

Posting a multiparagraph rant isn't the same as 'I don't care.'

You clearly care otherwise you wouldnt have felt moved to post. It isn't that hard.

Fair point KC.

It amazes me how keen people are to win the most pathetic thread of the year award.

But congratulations to the OP for such a pathetic and embarrassing post, a great attempt.

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It amazes me how keen people are to win the most pathetic thread of the year award.

But congratulations to the OP for such a pathetic and embarrassing post, a great attempt.

That's the spirit Rock Bus - dismiss and mock an opinion simply because you don't agree with it. The key to a successful thread.

Care to comment on any of the original content? Is/should women's football being forced on us? Should we have a say in what's reported or highlighted in the media? Is it in fact of a poor standard? Does anyone dare admit, secretly, that it's actually not very good?

6 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

That's the spirit Rock Bus - dismiss and mock an opinion simply because you don't agree with it. The key to a successful thread.

Care to comment on any of the original content? Is/should women's football being forced on us? Should we have a say in what's reported or highlighted in the media? Is it in fact of a poor standard? Does anyone dare admit, secretly, that it's actually not very good?

But...why is it an issue? I don't understand. Nobody is forcing you to watch it. You might see some adverts or a match report. So what? I see adverts and reports on loads of stuff that I'm not interested in.

It isn't for you. Fine. Great. Move on. I don't watch it that much. However I've got friends who love it and are delighted it is now much easier to watch and read about that it was. And im pleased for them. I've got friends with daughters who were inspired by the Lionesses. Why is this a bad thing? Extra focus on the women's game doesn't take anything away from you. 

So I ask, what is the actual issue with it? 

• Like 1

As a modern male I'm usually too busy doing housework, laundry, ironing, shopping, cooking or hoovering when Women's football is on.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I quite like it 

AAF5E38D-3447-45A6-B1CA-C0925FD053CA.jpeg

Youve been hacking Tillos private files again havent you Franko?

• Haha 1

Just now, Mello Yello said:

As a modern male I'm usually too busy doing housework, laundry, ironing, shopping, cooking or hoovering when Women's football is on.....

What a square!! Us real men get up extra early and do all that so that we can sit down with our ' better' halves and watch Loose Women WITH THEM. ...And take particular delight at the ads that ridicule men.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What a square!! Us real men get up extra early and do all that so that we can sit down with our ' better' halves and watch Loose Women WITH THEM. ...And take particular delight at the ads that ridicule men.

Hang on Corkio? 

Are you saying you DON'T have staff? 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

But...why is it an issue? I don't understand. Nobody is forcing you to watch it. You might see some adverts or a match report. So what? I see adverts and reports on loads of stuff that I'm not interested in.

It isn't for you. Fine. Great. Move on. I don't watch it that much. However I've got friends who love it and are delighted it is now much easier to watch and read about that it was. And im pleased for them. I've got friends with daughters who were inspired by the Lionesses. Why is this a bad thing? Extra focus on the women's game doesn't take anything away from you. 

So I ask, what is the actual issue with it? 

As you asked KC, I'll try and explain (although it'll win me even less friends).

Women's football is fashionable. It's the latest thing to get behind and show your support for. The latest bandwagon for companies and organisations to get behind in order to seek recognition for backing the latest craze. Hence why it's everywhere at the moment.

But what's it's really about is the reaction to going against the grain, daring to disagree with the majority. Most people's reactions on here just confirm to me that it's alright to have an option on these sorts of subjects - as long as it's the opinion held by the majority. Otherwise it's just dismissed and derided. The irony.

There'll be more to come on here for me I'm sure.

On reflection, my OP was probably a bit too ranty and less-measured than I'd usually post (put it down to being ill and up at 0400 with a puppy).

As I've said, I hope girls and women love the game, succeed and achieve their dreams.

Doesn't mean I want to hear or see about it every time I watch the news, open my phone or listen to the radio.

54 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Does @cambridgeshire canary have competition? 😉 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Richard Richard said:

As you asked KC, I'll try and explain (although it'll win me even less friends).

Women's football is fashionable. It's the latest thing to get behind and show your support for. The latest bandwagon for companies and organisations to get behind in order to seek recognition for backing the latest craze. Hence why it's everywhere at the moment.

But what's it's really about is the reaction to going against the grain, daring to disagree with the majority. Most people's reactions on here just confirm to me that it's alright to have an option on these sorts of subjects - as long as it's the opinion held by the majority. Otherwise it's just dismissed and derided. The irony.

There'll be more to come on here for me I'm sure.

On reflection, my OP was probably a bit too ranty and less-measured than I'd usually post (put it down to being ill and up at 0400 with a puppy).

As I've said, I hope girls and women love the game, succeed and achieve their dreams.

Doesn't mean I want to hear or see about it every time I watch the news, open my phone or listen to the radio.

What makes me smile is the women's football wants to be recognized in it's own right, which is fair enough, but the media and all puts them on the mens games' coat tails. Can't have both. 

• Like 3