Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

I love Onel Hernández🇨🇺

And it's fair to say he very much loves us too but that's not the point. Well, sort of. The main point is that these last few games he's really been at his very best and he's been so much fun to watch. Scoring, getting assists in back to back games.. Sure, I'll admit he can come across as a bit of a passion merchant from time to time.. But he's our passion merchant. (And on that note he really needs to hurry up and sign a new contract with us..)

• Like 2

Yeah. Nice to see him starting to flourish under Wagner.

We all knew he had the ability to be beat players for fun. It was picking out teammates at the end of his mazy runs that was often missing.

The fact that he also comes across as a lovely guy is a bonus.

Really happy to say that I underestimated him at the start of this season. And great to see someone who obviously loves the club so much flourishing. He's like the anti-Rashica

• Like 5

The guy I sit with was a semi professional full back in his youth. He says he would have **** himself if he'd had to play against Onel. 

I don't know if Wagner has taught him how to cross it or if he's taught the other players where to go when Onel gets the ball. Whichever it is, it's worked. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Well worthy of a new contract.

Absolutely, especially since he's not at all the type of guy to take his foot off the gas once he's got one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The guy I sit with was a semi professional full back in his youth. He says he would have **** himself if he'd had to play against Onel. 

I don't know if Wagner has taught him how to cross it or if he's taught the other players where to go when Onel gets the ball. Whichever it is, it's worked. 

So many issues under Smith in an attacking sense have been solved by just getting more bodies into the box. More bodies in the box = more chance someone in yellow is getting to a cutback or cross first.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Genuine question: Did Farke ever get as much out of Hernandez as Wagner has?

Simple answer is no, only flashes.  Smith had started to use him as an impact sub which worked ok, but he’s definitely flourishing under DW.

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Simple answer is no, only flashes.  Smith had started to use him as an impact sub which worked ok, but he’s definitely flourishing under DW.

Feels a long time ago, admittedly, but Farke got a lot out of Onel in our first promotion season. 8 goals and 9 assists. He's not come close to replicating it since!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

People forget that he had 18 goal contributions in the 2018/19 promotion seasons: 8 goals and 10 assists.

The fact that he was injured for the majority of the 2019/20 PL season - and shipped out on loan last season - is also forgotten.

Having said that, Wagner does seem to commit more players into the box when he is in a good position.

Edited by Yellow and Green

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Feels a long time ago, admittedly, but Farke got a lot out of Onel in our first promotion season. 8 goals and 9 assists. He's not come close to replicating it since!

I’d looked his stats up before replying - my answer remains the same, only in flashes. 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d looked his stats up before replying - my answer remains the same, only in flashes. 

I think considering it was Onel's first full season in English football as well, to get that many goals and assists showed that Farke really was getting the "best" out of Onel.