Sign in to follow this  
SwearyCanary

Tech help - emojis in blank boxes

Anyone know why people’s posts where they show emojis are just a blank box for me all of a sudden? Use my iPhone to browse the forum so this anything to do with it?? 

Edited by SwearyCanary

5 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Anyone know why people’s posts where they show emojis are just a blank box for me all of a sudden? Use my iPhone to browse the forum so this anything to do with it?? 

They all show up as a question mark in a blue box on my iPad and PC. No idea why.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ......and Smith must score. said:

They all show up as a question mark in a blue box on my iPad and PC. No idea why.

Glad it isn’t just me 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This place has gone downhill since Pete left

It was going down hill a lot longer ago than that 😅

It's possible that whatever image files the forum is looking for are no longer on the server so the browser is putting the default emoji next to a placeholder. I.e. the forum has it's own set of emoji image designs but for whatever reason the image files are missing so your browser is replacing them.

But yes I have the same issue. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

soz.png

Brilliant. Or they'll go down the EA route and each emoji can be unlocked for 12 months for 99p 😂

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm on firefox, its the same with me, emojis often take ages to show up.

3 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Use Google and Safari and it’s the same for both. 😓

Ditto, on an iPhone.

Edit: I also don’t see embedded Tweets properly - no images or videos, but they do work in Safari.

Edited by Nuff Said

I use MS Edge and Samsung's own Internet browser on my phone. I'm also a subscriber 😲. Edge seems to be okay with the emoji's, but the Samsung Browser also has the square box by the emoji's. Annoying, a symptom of the lack of care of the site, but not a deal breaker ATM.

Agree, it’s not essential but irritating. If it does continue to decline I think I might just call my forum life off - I expect I’ll not notice much difference. 

maybe I should start a separatist movement where forumites can meet and discuss all our petty and completely pointless ****e on midweek evening at a pub. 

Wednesday, Coach and Horses, 8pm - I’ll wear a tartan scarf and be glugging a staropramen, exclusively in the proper glass though. You heard it here first - lol 

21 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I use MS Edge and Samsung's own Internet browser on my phone. I'm also a subscriber 😲. Edge seems to be okay with the emoji's, but the Samsung Browser also has the square box by the emoji's. Annoying, a symptom of the lack of care of the site, but not a deal breaker ATM.

Just using Edge must make you fairly unique, but combined with the Samsung browser AND subscribing, you must be in a group of 1!

Agreed it’s not a huge issue. In a fast moving environment with many overlapping inter-dependencies (or are dependencies always overlapping?), there are always going to be glitches but this and the problem with embedded tweets do seem to have persisted now. I wonder how often the forum software gets patched?

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

......... In a fast moving environment with many overlapping inter-dependencies (or are dependencies always overlapping?), there are always going to be glitches but this and the problem with embedded tweets do seem to have persisted now. I wonder how often the forum software gets patched?

WTAF does all this mean ? 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

WTAF does all this mean ? 🙂

It’s all about the software paradigm, having a vision of what good looks like going forward and how to the business can best go to market to deliver optimum value. 

… sorry, got stuck in work BS mode for a moment.