Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Carlton Morris

One problem of having a striker as good as Pukki is that it becomes difficult to develop anyone else. I think Idah has suffered from this, and we now have the Pukki/Sargent dilemma.

It might be easier if the young player had a similar playing style to Pukki, because perhaps then he could replace Pukki and come on at the end of games if we weren't chasing them, but that's never been the case. Sargent can't do what Pukki can (and vice-versa), so we almost need two playing styles/formations according to which striker is on the pitch.

I just want to stress this is not in any way a criticism of Pukki. It's a problem we have simply because he is so good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can say similar for Harry Toffolo as well

It took them both until they were 24/25 to start playing regularly in the championship. Not sure the club can be expected to hold on to them forever. Also goes to show how important it is to play regularly, as soon as they both managed that they showed their ability.

2 minutes ago, repman said:

It took them both until they were 24/25 to start playing regularly in the championship. Not sure the club can be expected to hold on to them forever. Also goes to show how important it is to play regularly, as soon as they both managed that they showed their ability.

Yeah, this.

At the point when we sold Morris, we were about to get promoted to the Premier League and Morris was a 24-year-old who had a League One record of 14 goals in 91 appearances and a Championship record of no goals in nine games.

We kept hold of Morris for far longer than we'd ever kept any youngster in the hope that he'd come good, but ultimately we had reached the point where we had to sell him or play him.

And imagine the backlash from the fans had we thrown a player with that record into the team at Premier League level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, this.

At the point when we sold Morris, we were about to get promoted to the Premier League and Morris was a 24-year-old who had a League One record of 14 goals in 91 appearances and a Championship record of no goals in nine games.

We kept hold of Morris for far longer than we'd ever kept any youngster in the hope that he'd come good, but ultimately we had reached the point where we had to sell him or play him.

And imagine the backlash from the fans had we thrown a player with that record into the team at Premier League level. 

Yep. Complaining about letting Morris go is pure hindsight.

He held his registration for ages, and he never really got close to the first team.  When him and Godfrey went to Shrewbury, it was Godfrey who looked a world beater whilst Carlton was okay.

We then had Idah coming through, we had just lost that other striker (do not recall his name), and Chelsea were aggressively after Idah, I suspect Stuart felt he was not going to break through and a few hundred pounds was good business, and allowed him to develop.  Everyone a winner, and he has a better career for leaving.

I agree that saying we should have kept of Morris is pure revisionism his championship record although improving is similar to Hugill.

That said well done to him always great to see ex canaries doing well elsewhere it seems to happen all to rarely.

Maybe the club should be applauded for keeping him on the books for so long and standing by him after he did is acl rather than releasing him after quite a few unsuccessful loan spells.

58 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, this.

Absolutely - football is often about timing, the coaches obviously thought he had something or he’d have not been kept so long, but he was never in a position where he could break into the side.   If anything, him doing well kind-of proves them right, but letting him go was clearly best for both parties.

He's such a good player, and someone I have enjoyed watching from the time I first saw him live playing in that FA Youth Cup team that won the cup that year.

Really pleased to see him developing to his full potential. I doubt he would have achieved it by staying here.