Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Abu Kamara: next cab off the rank?

Just wondering if anyone had seen Abu play? His goalscoring record is really good, and he'll be 20 next summer... he's scored 8 in 7 games for the U21s this season, after 15 in 27 last season. Hugill needs to be shipped out in January, and Idah has never looked like being a regular goalscorer for us... could he be a potential successor to Pukki if we're strapped for cash?

I disagree on Idah. He’s been very unlucky with injuries (who hasn’t in our squad at this point thought tbh? Bigger issue there??) but I believe there is a version where he and Pukki can link up and score goals ala the Steipermann connection

We have some really good kids in the academy and good god will we need them when we offload a load of players and don’t buy any new ones

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I disagree on Idah. He’s been very unlucky with injuries (who hasn’t in our squad at this point thought tbh? Bigger issue there??) but I believe there is a version where he and Pukki can link up and score goals ala the Steipermann connection

We have some really good kids in the academy and good god will we need them when we offload a load of players and don’t buy any new ones

He had a couple of decent games alongside Pukki, but he can't score goals as a lone striker (as evidenced both at NCFC and the ROI national team) and is relatively ineffective in a supporting role.

Yes he's been unlucky with injury, but he's scored four league goals in 49 games for us, and none in 13 for ROI. Would love to see him come good, but don't see it happening myself. He'll probably forge a decent career for himself at Championship/L1 level, a la Carlton Morris, but no more than that.

One thing that can be agreed on, though, is that Hugill must be binned off at the earliest opportunity to give more pitch time to others, be that Idah, Kamara, Rowe or anyone else.

I can't go with the Idah negativity same as I couldn't with Josh. These players get better with age and experience.  I think at a recent presser Deano used thephrase 'joint compromised athlete' about Adam. Hopefully that's something that can be managed.

• Like 2

"four league goals in 49 games for us..."

You are ignoring the tiny number of minutes he has played. Idah has been given just 8 career League starts, including at Man Utd & at Spurs, with many of his appearances off the bench coming very late in games.

Like Srbeny, Idah's goal-return is very much dimiished by the lack of opportunity to build up a rhythm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I can't go with the Idah negativity same as I couldn't with Josh. These players get better with age and experience.  I think at a recent presser Deano used thephrase 'joint compromised athlete' about Adam. Hopefully that's something that can be managed.

Idah has already played 50-odd senior games for us and is nearly 22, though. He's had plenty of opportunities. I'm just questioning whether it might be wiser to try out a 19-year-old striker who's averaging a goal a game for our U21s. If he takes to the first team like a duck to water then great; if he doesn't, we can send him back to the U21s to continue his development.

I haven't seen a great deal of improvement in Idah's game since he first played for us. He's decent at everything, but excellent at nothing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Just wondering if anyone had seen Abu play? His goalscoring record is really good, and he'll be 20 next summer... he's scored 8 in 7 games for the U21s this season, after 15 in 27 last season. Hugill needs to be shipped out in January, and Idah has never looked like being a regular goalscorer for us... could he be a potential successor to Pukki if we're strapped for cash?

I've never seen him play live but he's had a really good record at u23 level for a couple of years

Dickson-Peters and Omotoye were sent out on loan but Kamara never was for some reason. He was in the squad for the Brighton game last season so I reckon he is seen as the next striker in line

I'd love him to either get a loan in January or a spot on the bench

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

You are ignoring the tiny number of minutes he has played. Idah has been given just 8 career League starts, including at Man Utd & at Spurs, with many of his appearances off the bench coming very late in games.

Like Srbeny, Idah's goal-return is very much dimiished by the lack of opportunity to build up a rhythm.

I hadn't realised quite how little he has played overall, thanks for setting me straight.

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/adam-uche-idah/465872/

Clearly injuries have hampered his progress, but in all the time I've seen him, he's never looked confident in front of goal apart from that one cup game at Preston. I just don't think he's good enough, personally, although I'll happily eat a huge slice of humble pie if he comes good and starts banging them in!

Sadly I think Idah is never going to reach his potential due to injury.  As nutty says, they're talking about a joint compromised athlete. I think he's always going to have to be 'managed' - ie not play every game 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Idah has already played 50-odd senior games for us and is nearly 22, though. He's had plenty of opportunities. I'm just questioning whether it might be wiser to try out a 19-year-old striker who's averaging a goal a game for our U21s. If he takes to the first team like a duck to water then great; if he doesn't, we can send him back to the U21s to continue his development.

I haven't seen a great deal of improvement in Idah's game since he first played for us. He's decent at everything, but excellent at nothing.

His performance against Everton is probably my only highlight of last season's PL campaign. He'd put a marker down at West Ham the week before. I really hope he can get fit and stay fit...

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

His performance against Everton is probably my only highlight of last season's PL campaign. He'd put a marker down at West Ham the week before. I really hope he can get fit and stay fit...

He did play extremely well that day, granted. I too hope he can get fit and stay fit, I'm not suggesting we should try and offload him or anything. I just have my doubts that he'll ever be a consistent goalscorer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

He's also often been played out wide and not up front. Last season, he was played up front and scored... similar sort of argument with Sargent really. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He did play extremely well that day, granted. I too hope he can get fit and stay fit, I'm not suggesting we should try and offload him or anything. I just have my doubts that he'll ever be a consistent goalscorer.

I think he needs a lone. I fear he could be the next Ryan Jarvis if not, a player who showed really good potential early on but then was stifled by lack of playing time and no loans to progress him. Obviously with Idah there is some injury too. That said, he should have been loaned out the season after we were relegated after project restart, to get regular games and more experience in the tank.

I think Carlton Morris is a good example of what loans can do to make your career - even with periods of injury earlier on. Arguably Cantwell of old too. 

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

He's also often been played out wide and not up front. Last season, he was played up front and scored... similar sort of argument with Sargent really. 

He scored one goal last season, and that day he played in a front three with him and Sargent just behind Pukki.

Edited by Feedthewolf

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

I think he needs a lone. I fear he could be the next Ryan Jarvis if not, a player who showed really good potential early on but then was stifled by lack of playing time and no loans to progress him. Obviously with Idah there is some injury too. That said, he should have been loaned out the season after we were relegated after project restart, to get regular games and more experience in the tank.

I think Carlton Morris is a good example of what loans can do to make your career - even with periods of injury earlier on. Arguably Cantwell of old too. 

I'd only loan him out if we think Kamara is up to stepping up (and/or Rowe is nearly fit again), because I don't want Hugill anywhere near our team. But yes, he has been hindered by injuries and also by not being able to go and perform on loan. Agree that our previous Championship season would have been an excellent time for him to go and get that experience.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

He scored one goal last season, and that day he played in a front three with him and Sargent just behind Pukki.

Yup, but previously he'd been subbed on for Cantwell etc, bar the run of a couple of games in the premier league.

I do think it hangs in the balance though, what happens next for Idah could define how far he goes in his career. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Yup, but previously he'd been subbed on for Cantwell etc, bar the run of a couple of games in the premier league.

I do think it hangs in the balance though, what happens next for Idah could define how far he goes in his career. 

Yep, big second half of the season for him for sure. Let's hope he gets a good chunk of pitch time to show what he can do, whether that's here or elsewhere.

• Like 1

Idah has been hampered by the fact he has spent about three or four seasons now in a strange state of limbo where he's good enough to be part of the squad and be a backup, but not good enough to be a regular. As a result, he has barely developed in that time. Had he gone on loan for a season somewhere and had a decent run, or even if Pukki had picked up a mid/long term injury, Idah's development would've been totally different. It's a shame, and it's not really his fault.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd only loan him out if we think Kamara is up to stepping up (and/or Rowe is nearly fit again), because I don't want Hugill anywhere near our team. But yes, he has been hindered by injuries and also by not being able to go and perform on loan. Agree that our previous Championship season would have been an excellent time for him to go and get that experience.

It's why I could see some truth in the Vydra link, poss on a short term deal, or the loan move for the Brighton striker. We have too many strikers for how we set up anyway, and like you say, better to have Kamara in the wings (he's trained with the first team) and given opportunities than a player we're not likely to use.

Pukki, Sargent, Idah.

So if we bring in a loan, I suspect Kamara will be considered as a future option and step up if one of the others is injured. I'd also say Rowe is a winger rather than a striker, but you could easily play him off a more traditional target man if you wanted to add a bit of pace further forward. 

1 hour ago, Chichcan said:

I've never seen him play live but he's had a really good record at u23 level for a couple of years

Dickson-Peters and Omotoye were sent out on loan but Kamara never was for some reason. He was in the squad for the Brighton game last season so I reckon he is seen as the next striker in line

I'd love him to either get a loan in January or a spot on the bench

He was on the bench at BHA primarily because there were nine First-Teamers who were unavailable!  (inc Sarge, Placheta & Idah).

It is disappointing that no-one with an objective eye has bothered to attend U23s fixtures and can come up with a depth-chart for those below First Team level. 

If only we had a local newspaper with three full-time employees covering one football club ...

If Kamara is the next one on the conveyor belt, let’s get him out on loan, the focus should be on his development not being a bit part in our first team squad.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Interesting  Nuttyo, hadnt  heard that. I had thought  that AI would grow into himself and he may yet , Ive seen a massive change in what was a nimble and agile light of foot striker to a somewhat lumbering and awkward  but mostly inñefective  ' front man'. He is a big unit and may be having a second growth spurt  and has to adapt, hope so.  This is not me having a go  , just my honest opinion and i want him to come good, for many reasons. Best schoolboy from this area i ever watched. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

It's why I could see some truth in the Vydra link, poss on a short term deal

Vydra signed for somebody today, gone home to the Czech Republic.

• Like 1

The club definitely missed the boat on getting a loan for Idah. He should've gone out after scoring that hat trick in the cup but was kept back due to us having injuries. I think there's also an element of truth that Farke liked keeping some players back to help them develop instead of loaning them elsewhere. The bigger mistake in my view was signing Hugill to be the backup in the championship. Hindsight is obviously wonderful as Idah struggled with injuries but it can't have been great for his confidence to see Hugill in the door. The Hugill signing was only made to look worse by the fact we signed Sargent a year later and loaned Hugill as he wasn't deemed good enough for the PL. There's also been Pukki as a roadblock which no one has displaced for a reason. Sargent is basically a year older than Idah but at his age had played basically twice as much football. Obviously now injuries may take their toll but if we manage him well we should have 2 young strikers who are more than capable.

23 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Interesting  Nuttyo, hadnt  heard that. I had thought  that AI would grow into himself and he may yet , Ive seen a massive change in what was a nimble and agile light of foot striker to a somewhat lumbering and awkward  but mostly inñefective  ' front man'. He is a big unit and may be having a second growth spurt  and has to adapt, hope so.  This is not me having a go  , just my honest opinion and i want him to come good, for many reasons. Best schoolboy from this area i ever watched. 

Yes I have wondered about all those things. But I'm still hopeful. Players like Adam, and Josh to a certain extent, keep developing well into their 20s. Iwan got better as he got older. Carlton Morris is now a decent championship striker. But I think Adam and Josh are better than that and hopefully both have learned from their time with Pukki.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Vydra signed for somebody today, gone home to the Czech Republic.

Well that's one we can rule out I guess then. Perhaps he saw the game... 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Idah has been hampered by the fact he has spent about three or four seasons now in a strange state of limbo where he's good enough to be part of the squad and be a backup, but not good enough to be a regular. As a result, he has barely developed in that time. Had he gone on loan for a season somewhere and had a decent run, or even if Pukki had picked up a mid/long term injury, Idah's development would've been totally different. It's a shame, and it's not really his fault.

He's also had a lot of injuries though... look at how many games his missed due to them... 

Capture.PNG.d9e78dcbb6e3561db047e3d0ea4a3002.PNG

Its a bit of a problem that this season despite our poor performances, we still have two decent strikers. If they had better service and if one wasn't shoved out left, they would walk into most teams at this level.

And I'm sure both would want to be the only striker in a 4231. A coach has to bite the bullet and tell one of them they are on the bench. For the good of the team.

So I think we can afford to let Idah go out on loan. I know he isn't the greatest but Hugill would still be available.