Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

That magical 18-19 season. What went right?

Beacause quite honestly I have no idea. I'm still a little confused by it all. Afte all, this was a season coming off of the last season in which we had drawn 0-0 twice to Burton Albion, would have lost to Ipswich if not for that famous last second Klose goal and in the end did in fact finish the season worse off than Ipwich who finished 12th while we finished 14th.. And god knows how we would have done that season without Maddison given he was our top goalscorer with 14 goals with our second highest being Oliviera with just 8.

So Needless to say coming into the 18-19 season things did not exactly look or feel great. it was somewhat gloom and negativity..All very apathetic among the fanbase. And yet what ended up happening? Pukki, the 'Scotish flop' not just being the top goalscorer for us but the top goalscorer in the entire divison with an amazing 29 goals. Three, yes, three highest scoring 4-0 wins for us with us winning 4-0 over Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton and QPR with the only real negative result of the season being a 3 nill loss to Leeds.  Only 6 loses all season, a GD of 36 and a remarkable finish to the season with 94 points, automatic promotion and us playing some of the best free flowing fast almost brazilian tiki taka this club has ever seen at times with the club and fanbase riding one hell of a great high.. And don't forget the binners eyes full of tears as we swatted them aside like a fly with an easy 3-0 victory that never once looked in doubt.

But how do we think things went so right? After all, fair to say nobody was expecting it. It really did seem to come out of nowhere. Given the following team is the fist team we put out at the start of the season for the first match (in a 2-2 draw against Birrmingham) I'm still at a bit of a loss to ty and explain this season myself. But how did you think it all just clicked? Was it luck? Was it all a fluke? Or was Farke some kind of German magical flawless messiah who rode into Carrow Road on a white horse and who saved us all from that deaded midtable championship wilderness that many clubs do seem to get stuck in? What theories do you? Regardless I'm sure the vast majority of us can at least agee that it sure was one hell of a season.

ladsldads.png

Total waste of time looking back to that. We need to look forward from what we have now as we are really underachieving. 

I don't think the squad is worse, far from it, even without Emi, but Smith is struggling to make sense of it all. For some reason it isn't working for him here.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Total waste of time looking back to that. We need to look forward from what we have now as we are really underachieving. 

I don't think the squad is worse, far from it, even without Emi, but Smith is struggling to make sense of it all. For some reason it isn't working for him here.

Trouble is he's had long enough, but now apparently realises what the problems are and will address them in the WC break.

Only 1 problem as far as I can tell........The Management (or lack thereof)

It was magical for several reasons.

1. Farke - and his being able to get german league players in who contributed so much

2. Farke - and his ability to get youngsters to the first team.

3. Farke - and his no nonsense approach to those who chose to try and rock the boat. 

4. Farke - and his ability to get a togetherness and connection with fans. 

6. Farke - being able to persuade Pukki this was a great project. 

Webber got Buendia, the icing on the cake  but the magical season was down to Farke. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Trouble is he's had long enough, but now apparently realises what the problems are and will address them in the WC break.

Only 1 problem as far as I can tell........The Management (or lack thereof)

Not only one problem though is it? It’s the idiot who hired him too who is to blame and we all know which mountaineer that was 😡

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

1. Farke - and his being able to get german league players in who contributed so much

3. Farke - and his no nonsense approach to those who chose to try and rock the boat. 

5. As well as talking absolute bollox regularly you can’t count as this comes between 4 and 6 🤣🤣🤣

Webber got Buendia, the icing on the cake  but the magical season was down to Farke. 

Edited by TheBaldOne66

Because, when you've got a solid plan which you've spent 14 months diligently drilling into everything the club does, things inevitably start to click. It turns out that all that 'messing about at the back' had a purpose. 

We had a philosophy and an identity with established patterns of play which caused teams problems and consistently created goals. We became the best team without having the best individuals. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It was Teemu's partner who told him to come here. 

Buendia wasn't the icing on the cake. He was the cake. 

• Like 1

We had the best squad in the league, Villa probably the 2nd best and they were never a serious promotion contender. Sheff U and Leeds' success was more down to their managers compared to us imo. WBA may have gone closer if they had appointed a decent coach instead of Darren Moore. 

Like with most of our promotions, there was a coherent plan, a number of individual elements all aligned to give us the best opportunity, confidence was gained and then flowed, and finally everyone was pulling together, club, manager, team and supporters.

None of this is true right now and I think that’s basically why we aren’t currently successful even with a much better squad.

Pukki literally did not miss a chance in the first half of the season.

A great number of the squad  contributed purple patches of their best form for 10-15 game spells. Vrancic, Trybull, Hernandez, Leitner etc.. 

18 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Pukki literally did not miss a chance in the first half of the season.

A great number of the squad  contributed purple patches of their best form for 10-15 game spells. Vrancic, Trybull, Hernandez, Leitner etc.. 

Yup, at the time he just could not miss. One shot would be one goal, unlike now in which it seems he can get all the chances in the wold and seem to miss every one. Maybe it's due to the loss of hair? Rather more serriously however it is amusing that both how his fist and second goals for us that season were rather lucky deflections only to then go and hardly miss a single shot that season

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Due to the lack of quality in the league this season...this should actually be one of the more straightforward promotions in our history

There's no one of the kind of quality in it who we have been up against previously...and not of the kind of club who've been promoted in recent seasons when we've been in the prrmier league i.e Fulham, Leeds,Wolves

The fact that we've been poor for three quarters of the season so for but are still 5th says it all.

This is such an open goal that Smith isnt capitalising...even if we were just playing well , not even spectacularly ,it would be more than enough for top 2

I think one of the biggest things in the Farke system was having two full backs with genuine pace. Once Aarons and Lewis came into the team it helped to make the overall system work. That and Buendia, and Pukki playing through the middle.