Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

out of contract players

"... Pukki, Todd Cantwell, Kenny McLean and Sam Byram all being free to open talks with overseas clubs" in January. As are Onel Hernandez, Danel Sinani and Kieran Dowell.

If we go up, I can only see Cantwell, Pukki and perhaps McLean being up to it. If we don't then Sinani and Dowell need to improve to be offered a new contract. Onel, maybe. Byram looks classy, but can we risk another injury and so we a left paying his wages while he sits out what could be months ?

I think they’re all off.

Would love Pukki to stay though. Still think he’s got another couple of seasons at a high level,  he could easily be sat right now in double figures. And that’s with a system totally unsuited to him and low confidence and motivation levels. Sadly, only a move away is likely to re-ignite that. 

If we lose Pukki and Cantwell, aside of Aarons, Andrew O and possibly Nunez who else in this side is a top championship/PL player?

Not sure those are the right ones to clear out. Smith and Shakespeare need to be first gone, their replacements can then have a fresh look but those listed are very capable players..

Dowell and Sinani are probably worth moving on in January, ideally for a small fee, just to get them off the books and free up wages for someone decent. Hernandez and Byram are useful squad players for now but I can't see much of a long term future for either here, unless Byram is prepared to hang around as a backup for a modest wage.

Pukki and Cantwell are worth keeping, but there's still a long while to go and things change so quickly in football. Cantwell has probably done enough to deserve a new deal, so we should probably be looking to tie him down as soon as we can.

McLean is a tough one. He could do a job as a squad player, but we've got a lot of midfielders now and considering that large parts of the support see him as public enemy number one, it could be best to let him go.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

If we lose Pukki and Cantwell, aside of Aarons, Andrew O and possibly Nunez who else in this side is a top championship/PL player?

Here’s a clue for one:

64D9DA35-9336-4632-A249-A0308D74273C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Here’s a clue for one:

64D9DA35-9336-4632-A249-A0308D74273C.jpeg

Yeah but I'm sure Smith will still find a way to play him out of position still 😅

5 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think they’re all off.

I agree. I think it'll be reset time and we'll go with a core of youngsters again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pukki off in January so we can get a fee, but doubt we'd get much/anything for any of the others.

If Onel is prepared to be a career impact sub just to boost the crowd and petrify tired opposition full backs then I'd give him a 3 year contract.

It he expects to get a lot of starts then time to part ways.

I'd like Cantwell and Pukki to stay but can't see it happening. 

Byram really depends on wages doesn't it. Suspect he'd be having to take a huge pay cut to reflect his frequent injuries, if he was on squad player money then I'd keep.

Dowell, Sinani, McLean I'd let go. McClean is a big call but just think we need to move on, Gibbs is his replacement in that box to box spot. 

The OP is missing Hugill and McGovern who are also out of contract. Likely to be released. Shocking that we'll be releasing a £5m purchase though. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If Pukki's not playing, Sargeant plays as centre forward. 

Do you state the complete obvious just to annoy people?

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If Onel is prepared to be a career impact sub just to boost the crowd and petrify tired opposition full backs then I'd give him a 3 year contract.

It he expects to get a lot of starts then time to part ways.

I'd like Cantwell and Pukki to stay but can't see it happening. 

Byram really depends on wages doesn't it. Suspect he'd be having to take a huge pay cut to reflect his frequent injuries, if he was on squad player money then I'd keep.

Dowell, Sinani, McLean I'd let go. McClean is a big call but just think we need to move on, Gibbs is his replacement in that box to box spot. 

The OP is missing Hugill and McGovern who are also out of contract. Likely to be released. Shocking that we'll be releasing a £5m purchase though. 

You could see Hugill ending up somewhere like Luton and scoring 15 goals for them!

Id actually consider keeping Hugill if wages were realistic, assuming Pukki leaves. We need a back up / different option from the bench similarly to how we used Rhodes. He’s always bang up for it, and I like that - especially with the current squad malaise.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Do you state the complete obvious just to annoy people?

Nope, he also states the completely ridiculous too. It's a multi pronged display of daftness. 

He puts a lot of work into this. 

Nothing has beaten Chelmos assertion that Mumba scoring while out on loan being , and I quote ":a bitter pill".... Facking laughable.

Edited by wcorkcanary

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

You could see Hugill ending up somewhere like Luton and scoring 15 goals for them!

Luton actually play nice football with the ball on the floor with a progressive manager so I can't see that one myself unless somebody pinches Nathan Jones.

But I do get, and understand, your broader point.... swap Luton for Preston / Birmingham / Millwall and you are probably right. Less pressure to perform at clubs that don't have the budget to expect a top 6 finish though.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just posted this in the Contract Conundrums thread, but thought I'd post it here too as it was this thread that prompted me to update it in the first place.

Assuming that all extra year options are activated, here are the first-team players that are out of contract either at the end of this season or the end of next.

This year (11): Pukki, Cantwell, Byram, Hernandez, Sinani, Dowell, Hugill, McLean, McGovern, Hayden (loan), Ramsey (loan).

Next year (7): Aarons, McCallum, Krul, Gibson, Giannoulis, Sorensen, Idah.

Assuming we're not willing or able to extend the contracts of any of those players who are out of contract next summer, that leaves us with the following first-team players for next season:

2024 Aarons, McCallum, Płacheta, Krul, Barden (+1), Gibson, Giannoulis, Sørensen (+1), Idah
2025 Rashica, Gunn, Mumba (+1), Hanley, Sargent, Rowe, Tomkinson, Gibbs
2026 Tzolis, Omobamidele, Sara (+1), Núñez, Springett

So, by position:

GK: Krul, Gunn, Barden
DF: Aarons, McCallum, Gibson, Giannoulis, Hanley, Tomkinson, Omobamidele
MF: Sorensen, Mumba, Gibbs, Sara, Nunez, Springett
FW: Placheta, Idah, Rashica, Sargent, Rowe, Tzolis

If we fail to get promotion this season you'd have to assume that Krul and Aarons would be on their way, plus Placheta and Rashica are unlikely to be here either I'd say. Which would leave the following:

GK: Gunn, Barden
DF: McCallum, Gibson, Giannoulis, Hanley, Tomkinson, Omobamidele
FW: Idah, Sargent, Rowe

Whatever division we're in, it looks set to be a busy summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

If we fail to get promotion this season you'd have to assume that Krul and Aarons would be on their way, plus Placheta and Rashica are unlikely to be here either I'd say. Which would leave the following:

GK: Gunn, Barden
DF: McCallum, Gibson, Giannoulis, Hanley, Tomkinson, Omobamidele

FW: Idah, Sargent, Rowe

I kind of like that as a more focussed squad, nothing a couple of good midfielders wouldn't put right, plus bringing some more of the youth squad on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I kind of like that as a more focussed squad, nothing a couple of good midfielders wouldn't put right, plus bringing some more of the youth squad on!

Keeping Cantwell, Byram and Pukki would be ideal, but realistically I think Byram's the only one likely to sign on. I guess Onel would sign if offered an extension too, wouldn't be averse to that given how much he loves the club.

I'd only offer Cantwell a deal out of those who are up at the end of the season. I'd be half tempted by Dowell too but I think there's a chance he might want a new start. 

Ideally I would like to keep Pukki but you'd think he's going to want a 2/3 year deal on good money and we're not really in a place to be handing out contracts like that.