Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Webber is due to be away climbing over the World Cup break

4 hours ago, chicken said:

Webber is crap because he;
- Plays table tennis every Wednesday evening.

Boris Johnson had a table in his office when he was mayor. Is he crap too? Oh wait...

7 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Boris Johnson had a table in his office when he was mayor. Is he crap too? Oh wait...

<Rush of people across the world removing tables from offices>

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, chicken said:

Ah yes, that old one... so what your saying is that it's a cover up... 

Good god, yet more conspiracy theories.

I think I get your user name... how long ago did you ingest the entire contents of that can? 

You take the biscuit of disingenuous posters.

Why would that imply a cover up or a conspiracy? Daft suggestion.

The much more obvious answer is that as this is a prepared, scripted interview the PR team have been able to craft his responses to the question. And no follow ups to challenge the position. It should be taken with a mountain of salt not used as any kind of evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

You take the biscuit of disingenuous posters.

Why would that imply a cover up or a conspiracy? Daft suggestion.

The much more obvious answer is that as this is a prepared, scripted interview the PR team have been able to craft his responses to the question. And no follow ups to challenge the position. It should be taken with a mountain of salt not used as any kind of evidence.

What challenge would you want to the position that he wants more of a work life balance? Unless you remain to be of the, incorrect, position that it wasn't about work life balance?

Oh, and by the way, if this is scripted, I am pretty sure the PR people would be saying "Whatever you do Stuart, don't tell them you don't care about what they think..."

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I’m really not bothered what he said I’ll judge him on the clubs performance from recruitment to manager he is so steadfast behind. Nothing but a big improvement and promotion is a success, miss out and the judgement must be failed!

Then don't argue so hard otherwise?

I suspect that if there is a full takeover he could well go. I could be joining dots up wrong here, but if Attanasio does complete a takeover over the next year or so, I suspect that Webber will go. I say that because when he was given the rolling contract, he said one of the reasons he chose to stay was due to covid preventing Europe for him being viable at this time. Well, we're on from that now for the most part, but he and Zoe had a part to play in Attanasio buying into us. That part was quite large, Attanasio mentioned in his interview several times that he is friends with the Liverpool owners, which is where Webber was... 

3 hours ago, WD40 said:

Absolutely it was all wrapped up in ‘I could walk away anytime’. Basically ‘I don’t need this’. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chicken said:

So what he does in his own time is fair game if we aren't doing well, but if we are, who cares? That's your argument?

Pretty damned daft.

Webber out.

He took a bath at 3.15pm on a Sunday... WHEN HE SHOULD BE SCOUTING NEW PLAYERS! 

You're making it sound like this is something he's doing on his weekends, rather than something he had to ask for significant time off for in his contract negotiations.

And it isn't a remotely daft argument. If I was in a senior role in a company and all was working smoothly and we were delivering profits etc I'd imagine shareholders would be less concerned about me taking a sabbatical or similar. However if I was in charge of a company that was struggling and my performance was in question, I'd imagine a pretty dim view would be taken of me taking extra time off to climb a mountain. It isn't that hard to understand.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Sheer Fùck!ng hubris , he certainly is .

Edited by Mengo

8 hours ago, chicken said:

Spot on. With trimmings. 

I almost posted somewhere else that this mountain rubbish really has no relevance. If we were winning no one would be bothered by it at all. Sudden interest in what he does in his own time as a stick to beat him with is weird to me. Unless it brings our club into disrepute (I'm thinking of the F1 Mosley Nazi sax dungeon fiasco) then who cares? 

The point of my post was to question what bearing it might have on our willingness or ability to change coach, given the common line of thought that if we do it it’s likely to be during the World Cup. It’s relevant that he is going to be up a mountain for 3 weeks because he won’t be able to deal with recruitment during that period and one would imagine he is the key player in that process. Perhaps it means any act will happen before the World Cup. One thing though is clear it should not be a factor in our decision and if it is then the mountain thing has become a problem. 

56 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The point of my post was to question what bearing it might have on our willingness or ability to change coach, given the common line of thought that if we do it it’s likely to be during the World Cup. It’s relevant that he is going to be up a mountain for 3 weeks because he won’t be able to deal with recruitment during that period and one would imagine he is the key player in that process. Perhaps it means any act will happen before the World Cup. One thing though is clear it should not be a factor in our decision and if it is then the mountain thing has become a problem. 

This is just a load of hypothetical ramblings.

37 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is just a load of hypothetical ramblings.

No. No it’s not. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

You're making it sound like this is something he's doing on his weekends, rather than something he had to ask for significant time off for in his contract negotiations.

And it isn't a remotely daft argument. If I was in a senior role in a company and all was working smoothly and we were delivering profits etc I'd imagine shareholders would be less concerned about me taking a sabbatical or similar. However if I was in charge of a company that was struggling and my performance was in question, I'd imagine a pretty dim view would be taken of me taking extra time off to climb a mountain. It isn't that hard to understand.

Is he though. He literally said he was giving us 24/7 and wanted to have more work-life balance. Can you prove that his contract says he is given more annual leave than anyone else or that he has been given special dispensation to have extra time off? No, of course you cant.

He went away in the summer, to combine both a mountain and scouting etc, the mountain got called off for bad weather if I remember correctly and we landed Sara.

What is hard to understand is how folks have suddenly gone from "urrr he said dat 90% effort" to now "it's in his contract". Seriously, how nuts, yes, literally nuts, do you have to be to make stuff up? 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

That won't be a decision for during that period, it'll be a decision for before that period.

If they are thinking about it now, they'll already be having a cursory glance around. The same as with signing players, we know for a fact that they work at least 6 months in advance with signings, almost certainly longer than that.

Reality is if a player is at the world cup they'll be entrenched in their team camps. So the work would have had to have been done before the tournament otherwise it starts to get into riskier territory. I've said for ages how this tournament was not only corrupt but a complete mess. It disrupts all of European football in a way never quite seen before.

If it was in the summer there is no doubt that Krul, for example, would have made the squad. Equally, players may have moved in the summer giving teams time to find a replacement... as we all know, if a player plays well at a Euro, Africa Cup of Nations, World Cup etc, then clubs suddenly become very interested in them. January could get a little crazy which is all the more reason to have done the homework earlier and already be a bit more advanced than - oh, he looks good.

The last thing I will say is that many people attributed at least some of the good signings to Kieran Scott. If that is true, as in he had a good hand in things, it is likely Neil Adams does now too, as well as other people on that side of things. Webber was in South America over the summer, potentially he could have been needed elsewhere.

If I'm honest, what worries me more right now are some of the decent players that will be out of contract come next summer.

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Is he though. He literally said he was giving us 24/7 and wanted to have more work-life balance. Can you prove that his contract says he is given more annual leave than anyone else or that he has been given special dispensation to have extra time off? No, of course you cant.

He went away in the summer, to combine both a mountain and scouting etc, the mountain got called off for bad weather if I remember correctly and we landed Sara.

What is hard to understand is how folks have suddenly gone from "urrr he said dat 90% effort" to now "it's in his contract". Seriously, how nuts, yes, literally nuts, do you have to be to make stuff up? 

You’re writing a lot on this thread for someone who clearly hasn’t read the interview.

“Delia and Michael didn’t want me to leave. So I said, ‘Listen there’s only one thing which matters to me in this negotiation, it’s not about money, titles or kudos. The only thing I want is the chance to go and achieve a dream and my dream is climbing Mount Everest. Before that I’m going to need some pockets of time off’.”

"I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’ But they wanted me to stay and I’m incredibly grateful to them for that."

• Like 1

If he didn't need extra time of for it why would it need to mentioned in contract negotiations?

Climbing Everest itself takes on average 3 months. He's climbing several other mountains in preparation. From the Climb podcast he did and the reporting around the time it was announced, one of those climbs involves being away for 3 weeks, Killamanjiro was at least 9 days and there are two or three others listed. Unless you think Norwich City have one of the most generous annual leave allowances going then yes I'm going to assume he's getting more time off than the average employee.

It's pretty rich to claim everyone else is nuts and making stuff up when you clearly haven't done even a cursory bit of research into what's involved. 

• Like 2

That won't be a decision for during that period, it'll be a decision for before that period.

If they are thinking about it now, they'll already be having a cursory glance around. The same as with signing players, we know for a fact that they work at least 6 months in advance with signings, almost certainly longer than that.

Reality is if a player is at the world cup they'll be entrenched in their team camps. So the work would have had to have been done before the tournament otherwise it starts to get into riskier territory. I've said for ages how this tournament was not only corrupt but a complete mess. It disrupts all of European football in a way never quite seen before.

If it was in the summer there is no doubt that Krul, for example, would have made the squad. Equally, players may have moved in the summer giving teams time to find a replacement... as we all know, if a player plays well at a Euro, Africa Cup of Nations, World Cup etc, then clubs suddenly become very interested in them. January could get a little crazy which is all the more reason to have done the homework earlier and already be a bit more advanced than - oh, he looks good.

The last thing I will say is that many people attributed at least some of the good signings to Kieran Scott. If that is true, as in he had a good hand in things, it is likely Neil Adams does now too, as well as other people on that side of things. Webber was in South America over the summer, potentially he could have been needed elsewhere.

If I'm honest, what worries me more right now are some of the decent players that will be out of contract come next summer.

I agree with you about the contract situation. Ok I get that some see it as a positive as it will help with the wage bill but how can you possibly build a fully committed team when half a dozen of them know they won’t be here next season and may even have agreed to sign for someone else. I don’t think it should have been allowed to get this this stage without some of the contract situations being resolved. 

12 hours ago, chicken said:

Then don't argue so hard otherwise?

I suspect that if there is a full takeover he could well go. I could be joining dots up wrong here, but if Attanasio does complete a takeover over the next year or so, I suspect that Webber will go. I say that because when he was given the rolling contract, he said one of the reasons he chose to stay was due to covid preventing Europe for him being viable at this time. Well, we're on from that now for the most part, but he and Zoe had a part to play in Attanasio buying into us. That part was quite large, Attanasio mentioned in his interview several times that he is friends with the Liverpool owners, which is where Webber was... 

I haven’t been arguing, you have me confused, read my responses back and you can see that I merely mentioned that his original interview was said in a very arrogant way which he then had to explain in his next interview nicely set up.

The rest is as I said it doesn’t bother me if he goes or stays has zero impact on my life!

I would have thought that any club thinking of sacking a manager over the world cup break would come to that decision and act before it started, however unless a new manager has been chosen then it may be necessary to spend a lot of that time sorting it out. As we know from last season Webber clearly didn't have a succession plan when Farke was sacked.

However Webber like anyone of us is actually allowed to have a life outside of work, how he choses to spend it is his business, whether he has a holiday on a beach sunbathing or climbing mountains is irrelevant. Is it better he has his holiday when the season is in hiatus or when it's in full swing? I can only imagine the comments if he swanned off mid season while we were playing games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnDaBall said:

I can only imagine the comments if he swanned off mid season while we were playing games.

To be fair he's done that too

3 hours ago, king canary said:

If he didn't need extra time of for it why would it need to mentioned in contract negotiations?

Climbing Everest itself takes on average 3 months. He's climbing several other mountains in preparation. From the Climb podcast he did and the reporting around the time it was announced, one of those climbs involves being away for 3 weeks, Killamanjiro was at least 9 days and there are two or three others listed. Unless you think Norwich City have one of the most generous annual leave allowances going then yes I'm going to assume he's getting more time off than the average employee.

It's pretty rich to claim everyone else is nuts and making stuff up when you clearly haven't done even a cursory bit of research into what's involved. 

This just can’t be right King, Webber’s just Joe Everyman looking for some work/life balance so he can climb mountains after work and at weekends like the rest of us. 😉

12 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

No. No it’s not. 

To be fair, all the books I read about successful sports men and women business people, all state how they are not driven or full focused on achieving their goals but like to give 90% and can take it or leave it..you also always read about how this attittude inspires their colleagues and employees..

I'd repeately call those that don't agree silly and stupid if I was an arrogant asre with an god complex...

😜

Edited by Kenny Foggo

17 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

To be fair, all the books I read about successful sports men and women business people, all state how they are not driven or full focused on achieving their goals but like to give 90% and can take it or leave it..you also always read about how this attittude inspires their colleagues and employees..

I'd repeately call those that don't agree silly and stupid if I was an arrogant asre with an god complex...

😜

As he didn't say he was going to 'give 90%' when doing his job it's not relevant.

• Like 1

To they have good telephone signals up mountains? Just in case an opportunity to strengthen the football team arises... think there isnthe festival of football in the middle east that could interest a sport director of a (ex) top 26 professional footie team!

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

To they have good telephone signals up mountains? Just in case an opportunity to strengthen the football team arises... think there isnthe festival of football in the middle east that could interest a sport director of a (ex) top 26 professional footie team!

Yes, they do.

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

As he didn't say he was going to 'give 90%' when doing his job it's not relevant.

You can debate about what 90% Webber was referring to. Time, energy, focus, attention etc. 

Whatever the true answer it was a ridiculously arrogant thing for someone in a leadership position to say about any aspect of what they will give to their role.