ricardo

Annual Report

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Wages (Staff costs) nearly doubled - £118 million - up from £67 million. 

Really struggle to get my head around this number.

I'm assuming it is more than just player wages but £118m seems absurdly high all things considered.

Just now, king canary said:

Really struggle to get my head around this number.

I'm assuming it is more than just player wages but £118m seems absurdly high all things considered.

I've posted the breakdown on previous page.

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What fascinates me about you is you dismiss the validity in the use of statistics to try and evaluate performance and plan for the future, while somehow believing everybody running the club should actually be capable of magic, look into their crystal balls, and see whether any decisions they make will actually work, because that's the standard you seem to judge them by. 

Data led scouting brought us one of the "top 10 fastest players in Europe", Placheta. I'm so so grateful.

I guess AI can't tell us whether a player has any balls, that still needs human intervention. 

As for the xG thing, I can't be bothered to reply in detail as you've perverted what my actual point was, which was primarily that it is useless at predicting outcomes. I don't have issue with the "evaluating performance" element, if used sensibly, although I still think it's highly flawed, its the idea that we will be OK going forward because our historic xG for is high and our xGa is low. It's complete dogsh*t when used for that purpose. 

• Like 1

As ricardo has said 10th November and it is at 7.30pm in The Norfolk Lounge.

Up for re appointment are Delia, Zoe Joanne Webber and Michael Martin Foulger.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Breakdown of staff costs -  wages were £91 million, up from £55 million - which excludes loan players as far as I can see.

image.png.b033aa360c1f12ff88dea1ac35610800.png

Aren't the players on some sort of deal where they earn 50 percent more in the top tier, so that accounts for more than half of that.

Does make me wonder how much Deano and Shakey are on though! 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've posted the breakdown on previous page.

Thanks- in this case does loan costs just mean their wages or would it include fees?

Edited by king canary

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Award for the least apt username goes to...

Well, unless you consider yours to be two of the coolest, calmest, classy players you could think of to combine...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Income.

image.png.313739cef79e7f3beafd69a10057ab53.png

Somebody donated £1000 to the club?

Very nice of them but it's not 1952, doubt that pays for the boards pre-match alcohol consumption for one game.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I guess AI can't tell us whether a player has any balls,

They can check that at the medical!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Well, unless you consider yours to be two of the coolest, calmest, classy players you could think of to combine...

Or unless you're a vegan.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Thanks- in this case does loan costs just mean their wages or would it include fees?

£91m for the permanent players we had still seems staggering to me. 

Yeah it is staggering isn't it, especially as few players will be on huge money in terms of the premier league.

I also suspect that the reason we haven't heard much in terms of some of these out of contract players being offered new terms is that we could be waiting to see where we are to be able to know who we can offer to and how much. Dangerous game. We have quite a few coming up to being out of contract next summer.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

£91m for the permanent players we had still seems staggering to me. 

It's about what we spent last time we were in the premier league. (£88.9 million)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or unless you're a vegan.

Doesn't particularly work that.

So the loss of 23million on player purchases surely confirms Webber did waste money as we aren’t going to make up that amount with the current squad we currently have! 

Is this the thread where we all hold the club to account over stuff we don't understand?

Where are all the FPAs?

Tangie come on down...

• Like 2

Just now, TheBaldOne66 said:

So the loss of 23million on player purchases surely confirms Webber did waste money as we aren’t going to make up that amount with the current squad we currently have! 

Might make it up in wage shrinkage - though I will leave that to more versed posters to confirm. Also depends very much where we are come the end of the season too I should think.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

It's about what we spent last time we were in the premier league. (£88.9 million)

Who'd have thought it. Good job we were not trying to do things on the cheap...

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It certainly shows that trying to buy success at staying up is extremely difficult, as Fulham and others have found in previous years.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is this the thread where we all hold the club to account over stuff we don't understand?

Where are all the FPAs?

Tangie come on down...

Yes.

Why aren't we going to games at Postwick yet? How come the foundations for the new ground there haven't even been laid. Who has kept Tom Cavendish locked in the flag cupboard with Tilly on guard duty all this time?

I need answers! ANSWERS!

Yours Sincerely
Fox Moulder

Edited by chicken
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

It certainly shows that trying to buy success at staying up is extremely difficult, as Fulham and others have found in previous years.

But we have always been told by Webber we buy players to make a profit on them later, how many of those we signed improved their values? None. 

I find it staggering just how much we spent on wages when you consider just how poor our squad was in comparison to all the other teams we were trying to compete with. I really think we totally lost our way with recruitment. 

The whole point of trying to squeeze the most out of a less talented squad is that the wages should be significantly lower. On the face of it we signed a bunch of poor players on really high wages.

Might make it up in wage shrinkage

I think wage austerity will be the consequence of our poor transfer business should we fail to win promotion, will be a 2017 level reset when we shed Ruddy, Bennett et al, with Bennett being the biggest surprise. 

Cantwell, Krul, Dowell, Pukki, that will be the starting point. 

Webber has taken us full circle. After bashing the McNally regime we're now in the same place.

The question now should be whether he should be given the opportunity to sort out his own mess, because McNally wasn't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I know, because your username is very apt.

No.

Because Vegans like animals.

For me to be a vegan and my forum name to clash, it would have to be roast beef, or chicken dinner or something.

My username is apt because it was a nickname given to me by high school friends owing to the way I used to play football, something about stopping, starting, stopping, starting. That's how long I have been on the various versions of this forum.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

I find it staggering just how much we spent on wages when you consider just how poor our squad was in comparison to all the other teams we were trying to compete with. I really think we totally lost our way with recruitment. 

The whole point of trying to squeeze the most out of a less talented squad is that the wages should be significantly lower. On the face of it we signed a bunch of poor players on really high wages.

For that to be true, we'd have to have one of the highest wage budgets... 

Just now, chicken said:

No.

Because Vegans like animals.

For me to be a vegan and my forum name to clash, it would have to be roast beef, or chicken dinner or something.

My username is apt because it was a nickname given to me by high school friends owing to the way I used to play football, something about stopping, starting, stopping, starting. That's how long I have been on the various versions of this forum.

When I was about 10 I called a woman "chicken woman" owing to the way that she walked. She took her high heels off, called me a horrible little sh*t and and tried to throw them at my head.

It wasn't until a bit later in life that I realised I was the bad person in that exchange, and she probably had some sort of genetic bone condition or neurological disease.  

And... that's the most random thing I've ever posted on this forum. 

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Somebody donated £1000 to the club?

Very nice of them but it's not 1952, doubt that pays for the boards pre-match alcohol consumption for one game.

Was this not an old gent who sadly passed away, and basically in his will gave £1000 for the players to have a drink.  They did, and raised a glass to him.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I really think we totally lost our way with recruitment. 

Yep, we've f*cked it. 

Serious cloth cutting coming now in the absence of any eight figure saleable playing assets.

Gone full circle to that time we released a load of players shortly after Webber arrived.

For that to be true, we'd have to have one of the highest wage budgets... 

Not at all. If our wage budget wasn't the lowest in the Premier League by a significant margin then we've overspent relative to our performance. Having an average Premier League wage budget while performing so poorly is an absurdity. I had assumed we must be offering way below average wages, hence our struggle to attract decent players. Our recruitment has been worse than I could have imagined. 

1 minute ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Was this not an old gent who sadly passed away, and basically in his will gave £1000 for the players to have a drink.  They did, and raised a glass to him.  

I do remember that, but i think that was £100 and in a previous financial year.