NeymarSmith

Next ncfc manager options, from a non DS happy clapper

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

In my eyes, that fact is more a measure of you than them. 

That’s fine, it’s your prerogative to think that. 

21 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm not one of these revisionists who try and make out that Russell Martin was crap for us, he wasn't. He was brilliant, managed well over 100 EPL games for us.

However, he's done nowhere near enough for a job like Norwich. If he'd never played for us not a single person would consider him. I'd love to see him manage here one day, but he'd need some notable success on his CV first.

That’s why Swansea are in the top 6. M K Dons didn’t do so bad under his tenure either!

50 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

That’s why Swansea are in the top 6. M K Dons didn’t do so bad under his tenure either!

If they're still top 6 in a few months then he can justifiably say he's done well in both his gigs, but if Smith was sacked tomorrow he'd be a massive gamble and wouldn't be considered but for his links with us.

10 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

If they're still top 6 in a few months then he can justifiably say he's done well in both his gigs, but if Smith was sacked tomorrow he'd be a massive gamble and wouldn't be considered but for his links with us.

I dunno, if you forget the Norwich link , he fits the mould of more recent appointments better than Smitho,.... Alex Neil, Farke were young ish coaches with strong ideas , much like Russ. Smitho kinda falls into Steve Brucelite territory for me. .... unremarkable in every way.  

I accept that his outward lack of.               ' charm '  doesn't, help and I just don't find him interesting. Maybe his skill set is totally player/ game focused and I should chilll about him and let results speak for themselves . 

Seems like we've had a change in Ethos though, it was under Farke .." good performances bring good results ' under Smitho it seems, to me,  to have become ' keep getting the results and performances will improve '. 

As someone said earlier, doubt Smithos going anywhere soon anyway, we'd have to melt and plummet like Icarus after the points we've got so far.

I’d love to have a go at getting Marcelo Bielsa now he’s no longer at Leeds. Failing that Carlos Corberan who got Huddersfield to the play off final and worked under Bielsa would also be fine by me. 

dream worlds though as smith isn’t getting the sack this season regardless of how we play 

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I dunno, if you forget the Norwich link , he fits the mould of more recent appointments better than Smitho,.... Alex Neil, Farke were young ish coaches with strong ideas , much like Russ. Smitho kinda falls into Steve Brucelite territory for me. .... unremarkable in every way.  

As someone said earlier, doubt Smithos going anywhere soon anyway, we'd have to melt and plummet like Icarus after the points we've got so far.

Steve Bruce has been considered a footballing dinosaur for ages now, so surely you are not suggesting that Dean Smith falls into that category? That's not allowed.

When you see the pair of them standing on the sidelines and when you assess the quality of a lot of the football we've been privileged to lately, then this thought has to enter the head of any canary fan.

We have to hope that there's a lot more to our managerial team than that damning comment, however, and therefore rely upon the good reputation that they both have built up within the higher echelons of the game. Performances since they walked through the door have hardly been inspiring, though.

Of course, he's (Smith) safe for the time being and, in realty, the season unless, of course, results dip alarmingly.

It's very hard not to feel a bit "meh" about the way things are at the moment, despite our lofty position in the league.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I am no fan of Dean Smith at all and agree with the OP re: Farke, but its a bit ridiculous to suggest Smith should be sacked tonight.

We are top of the league. You dont sack a manager top of the league.

Having said that I believe it is a false position and in no way indicates we are either moving in the right direction or Dean Smith will be a success in the Prem with Norwich.

I believe it is a false position because the teams we have played so far have been utterly woeful, League 1 standard. The Championship has dropped in quality since Farke's last title win.

The second we come up against a decent side in Reading we struggled. Bristol were the better team and we got away with it as we have the best 2 strikers in the League.

Prestion werent great but were solid and organised and executed there counter attacking game plan well.

Last 4 games have not been great. Draw with West Brom, narrowly beat a poor Blackpool side, draw with Reading and a loss to Preston.

Next 6 games will be telling I think as its a tough run with Watford, Burnley, Stoke, Sheff Utd and QPR in the mix. 

If we are still top then we will just have to accept this is the Dean Smith way, Farkeball is gone and its as good as its gonna get. The problem for me is that the Championship is so poor and most teams are closer to League 1 standard than Prem standard. There are only a handful of decent teams, Norwich, Reading, QPR, Watford, Burnley. Rest of the league is utter dross.

So we may well get promoted, but this current team and the way we play, I dont see how it survives in the Prem, and I just dont see that Smith is building a Prem survival team. In my opinion we are top because for the most part we have played League 1 quality teams.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt Morriss said:

I am no fan of Dean Smith at all and agree with the OP re: Farke, but its a bit ridiculous to suggest Smith should be sacked tonight.

We are top of the league. You dont sack a manager top of the league.

Having said that I believe it is a false position and in no way indicates we are either moving in the right direction or Dean Smith will be a success in the Prem with Norwich.

I believe it is a false position because the teams we have played so far have been utterly woeful, League 1 standard. The Championship has dropped in quality since Farke's last title win.

The second we come up against a decent side in Reading we struggled. Bristol were the better team and we got away with it as we have the best 2 strikers in the League.

Prestion werent great but were solid and organised and executed there counter attacking game plan well.

Last 4 games have not been great. Draw with West Brom, narrowly beat a poor Blackpool side, draw with Reading and a loss to Preston.

Next 6 games will be telling I think as its a tough run with Watford, Burnley, Stoke, Sheff Utd and QPR in the mix. 

If we are still top then we will just have to accept this is the Dean Smith way, Farkeball is gone and its as good as its gonna get. The problem for me is that the Championship is so poor and most teams are closer to League 1 standard than Prem standard. There are only a handful of decent teams, Norwich, Reading, QPR, Watford, Burnley. Rest of the league is utter dross.

So we may well get promoted, but this current team and the way we play, I dont see how it survives in the Prem, and I just dont see that Smith is building a Prem survival team. In my opinion we are top because for the most part we have played League 1 quality teams.  

I would dare say  going up this season would be a disaster as it's  a little clear we are not yet a fully settled side under Smith despte the wins. Still unsure on formations and we are missing a lot of players. We may be joint top but I feel we need another season in the championship to get things settled, you know?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I thought we would survive both seasons under Farke, blind optimism most likely.

So maybe under Smith where we look far from ready for the Prem, maybe we will all be surprised.

Under Farke we blew away everyone and were by far the best team in the League, and it done us no favours at all in the Prem. 

If another club, Watford for instance, sacked their manager in the position we are in now we would think they were nuts. And they would be....

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 20:24, canarydan23 said:

Possibly, but presumably our goal is to get established in the EPL and the only teams who've gone up and managed that in the past decade are;

Crystal Palace, Brighton, Wolves, Leeds, Villa and Brentford.

Only Palace (Holloway) and Brighton (Hughton) had Premier League experience. And whilst the former was quickly binned off for another EPL experienced coach, the latter was replaced by Potter.

I suspect at least one of those ‘ established ‘ will be relegated this year and if you want, throw Leicester into the equation.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would dare say  going up this season would be a disaster as it's  a little clear we are not yet a fully settled side under Smith despte the wins. Still unsure on formations and we are missing a lot of players. We may be joint top but I feel we need another season in the championship to get things settled, you know?

Depends what you mean by settled. Trouble is if we don't get promoted next season's squad will look hugely different. We've several players out of contract including Pukki and Cantwell, and likely Webber won't be here either.

All with the under-current of 2 seasons of failure with Smith at the helm.