Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England team- No Pickford, Maguire returns and Toney in

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is it me or is that rather light on midfielders?

Gonna be 5-2-3! 🙂 Southgate won't want to risk things!

I just can’t get on board with Southgate’s England. How Sancho gets picked when he is playing poorly but then hits form and is dropped from the squad is boggling to me. Why Shaw and Maguire are there is odd too. 

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is it me or is that rather light on midfielders?

I would have considered adding Conor Gallagher to the squad, appreciate he's not played a great deal this season so far though.

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I just can’t get on board with Southgate’s England. How Sancho gets picked when he is playing poorly but then hits form and is dropped from the squad is boggling to me. Why Shaw and Maguire are there is odd too. 

Experience I should think. Shaw and Chilwell are the two natural left backs so I think that's fine. 

Going to have the usual Phillips and Rice pairing. Boring. Its international football. Give it a go. Club football is different but internationals are a showpiece.

12 hours ago, AJ said:

I would have considered adding Conor Gallagher to the squad, appreciate he's not played a great deal this season so far though.

Experience I should think. Shaw and Chilwell are the two natural left backs so I think that's fine. 

"Well they always play fine for England.." seems to be the go to line

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Well they always play fine for England.." seems to be the go to line

Who would you pick as your two left backs, out of interest?

Southgate had always said that he would pick a squad based on form. Poppycock and hogwash. Maguire hasn't featured for the past 4 games, same as Shaw, Phillips has had a couple on mins on the pitch. No, Southgate, who has to be the luckiest manager in England history to inherit such a dearth of talent and **** it away with his negative approach goes back to his old favourites but form players (aside from Toney) don't get a look in. No wonder people tune out these days when England are on

27 minutes ago, AJ said:

Who would you pick as your two left backs, out of interest?

On form you'd have to go Rico Henry, especially as he's the only English LB that appears to be playing regularly. 

• Like 1

The squad looks pretty balanced, and I would not have said any of the players who have been left out are significant upgrades, although opinions are what make a forum.  

Southgate is the most successful England manager I have seen in post.  Not quite sure what fans are hoping for?  Seems a little like Ipswich wanting Mick McCarthy out, by any sensible measure a risky change.

Although I agree he does set up a relatively safe team, I wouldn’t swap to get keegan back for instance.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That is indeed a very good question.

And a very non committal answer! Suddenly Shaw and Chilwell with all their experience seem like good choices 😅

3 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Seriously, 12 defenders and 5 Midfielders!!!

Anything to avoid picking Maddison 

Even allowing for 3 cbs we shouldn't need more than 10 maximum 

Then add Maddison and Gallagher from Chelsea or Gordon from Everton, someone that can run and beat players

Edited by glory.win or die.