Sign in to follow this  
non-scoring strikers

Desperately need a new striker

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Because that's not actually how it was. Buendia's position on the first relegation was he wanted to be parted of being promoted again to rectify things. 

Did you completely miss when he was publicly dressed down for being “unfocused” because of transfer rumours and dropped from the squad?

This is what Davitt wrote at the time:

“Buendia was similarly linked to Leeds at the start of this infernal transfer window. That trail went swiftly cold.

But those recent comments attributed to him in an interview not sanctioned by his club should be seen through a simple filter.

Not of a player who expects to be at Carrow Road beyond next month’s deadline but of one who needs to have his name front and centre, should any potential interested parties wonder why he had dropped off the transfer radar.

This is a murky business and Farke is sick of it.”

This is what Emi said:

“From the first day I have been happy with the relationship with them. They understand my situation and they know my dream is to be in a Premier League team.

“I’m still here, I will fight for the team but if a very good offer for me arrives they are open. We’ll decide what’s best for everyone.

“Me and my family have loved the city since we arrived but I want to play in the best league in the world and would like to stay in a Premier League team.”

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Did you completely miss when he was publicly dressed down for being “unfocused” because of transfer rumours and dropped from the squad?

This is what Davitt wrote at the time:

“Buendia was similarly linked to Leeds at the start of this infernal transfer window. That trail went swiftly cold.

But those recent comments attributed to him in an interview not sanctioned by his club should be seen through a simple filter.

Not of a player who expects to be at Carrow Road beyond next month’s deadline but of one who needs to have his name front and centre, should any potential interested parties wonder why he had dropped off the transfer radar.

This is a murky business and Farke is sick of it.”

This is what Emi said:

“From the first day I have been happy with the relationship with them. They understand my situation and they know my dream is to be in a Premier League team.

“I’m still here, I will fight for the team but if a very good offer for me arrives they are open. We’ll decide what’s best for everyone.

“Me and my family have loved the city since we arrived but I want to play in the best league in the world and would like to stay in a Premier League team.”

Fair point, missed that, but it only reinforces the fact that his head was easily turnable. They may have persuaded him to buckle down and see it through then during the season, but he did lose focus and probably the promise of allowing him to move in the Summer was core to getting his head back in the game. 

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Fair point, missed that, but it only reinforces the fact that his head was easily turnable. They may have persuaded him to buckle down and see it through then during the season, but he did lose focus and probably the promise of allowing him to move in the Summer was core to getting his head back in the game. 

Bailey reported specifically there was no agreement to let him leave the following summer. Believe that may have come from Webber or he may have confirmed that.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Bailey reported specifically there was no agreement to let him leave the following summer. Believe that may have come from Webber or he may have confirmed that.

At the end of the day, you've pointed out yourself how disruptive it was keeping him against his will the first time, so it's hard to see how it was going to be any easier the second time. 

Keeping him would have been a stupid decision when he was even more determined to leave. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

29 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

At the end of the day, you've pointed out yourself how disruptive it was keeping him against his will the first time, so it's hard to see how it was going to be any easier the second time. 

I’ve pointed out we kept him and he was absolutely phenomenal. Those are the facts, anything else is conjecture.

Edited by Monty13

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’ve pointed out we kept him and he was absolutely phenomenal. Those are the facts, anything else is conjecture.

We kept him and he went considerably off the boil in reaction to outside interest that caused some disruption that made it necessary in Farke's view to publicly call him out.

You've made your point that you think we could have forced him to stay and he'd have played his socks off, and I just think you're wrong, but we'll never know. 

To be fair, when pukki plays in theory he should attract defences attention so Sargent should be able to come in from wide and have space to attack, but he rarely does that, or atleast we try to find pukki with 2 or 3 defenders around him insteD of trying to find Sargent.

He should be he heading danger Pukki isn't 

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We kept him and he went considerably off the boil in reaction to outside interest that caused some disruption that made it necessary in Farke's view to publicly call him out,. 

Agreed, as far as I know no one is denying him being disruptive to try and engineer a move. However then he stayed, reintegrated and was the Championship player of the season and got us promoted.

How easy that was or would be again is conjecture, but we know no promises were made.

My only issue is making out we did “the right thing”, it’s utterly subjective and unknowable.

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Agreed, as far as I know no one is denying him being disruptive to try and engineer a move. However then he stayed, reintegrated and was the Championship player of the season and got us promoted.

How easy that was or would be again is conjecture, but we know no promises were made.

My only issue is making out we did “the right thing”, it’s utterly subjective and unknowable.

It is, and saying it's 'the wrong thing' is also subjective and unknowable, but it doesn't stop people bashing the club over the head with it in spite of that, regardless of the fact that it was clearly a reluctant sale of a player who clearly wanted out. 

Sargent has a bit of pace, showed his movement off the ball, gets his head on things and runs his socks off, if he can add hitting the target more often he’d be an instant hit! Is he our next Iwan, took him a few seasons to take off!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It is, and saying it's 'the wrong thing' is also subjective and unknowable, but it doesn't stop people bashing the club over the head with it in spite of that, regardless of the fact that it was clearly a reluctant sale of a player who clearly wanted out. 

Either is a valid opinion based on what occurred and a message board is for opinion but when you say:

“It just underlines we did the right thing by cashing in on Emi”

It sounds like you’re saying it’s undeniable fact, not your opinion. If that’s just your opinion, fair enough agree to disagree.

“Clearly a reluctant sale” again that’s you claiming fact isn’t it? I don’t think it was reluctant at all.

Wohhh!   Steady on!   Regardless of he said this and she said that, the principal remains if a player expresses a desire to leave (however temperamental), surely it’s the same thing…. Please Mr Webber can I leave, yes you can if we get an acceptable  offer.   Well Teemu only has 1yr left so it shouldn’t take much.  

But we can hardly refuse a reasonable offer now can we!   

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Wohhh!   Steady on!   Regardless of he said this and she said that, the principal remains if a player expresses a desire to leave (however temperamental), surely it’s the same thing…. Please Mr Webber can I leave, yes you can if we get an acceptable  offer.   Well Teemu only has 1yr left so it shouldn’t take much.  

But we can hardly refuse a reasonable offer now can we!   

Well based on what Pukki's agent said, we're hanging onto him come what may. Possibly the club is stung by the unfair attacks for selling Buendia for an absolute fortune when Buendia wanted out. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Well based on what Pukki's agent said, we're hanging onto him come what may. Possibly the club is stung by the unfair attacks for selling Buendia for an absolute fortune when Buendia wanted out. Who knows?

Very possibly….. and about time!   These lads are quick to sign the contracts, they should be honoured on our terms.   

That said if we create expectations by improved performance then dash them with failings in the transfer windows (both promotions these players weren’t supported with improvements to the team) then the better ones will want opportunities to reach there potential and ambitions and in that regard Buendia, Aaron’s and Pukki, even Cantwell should reasonably desire to be in the EPL.    

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

would you drop sarge and put him straight back in the team ? 

If he's fully fit, yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If he's fully fit, yes.

I certainly wouldn’t as he’s not been a shadow of himself for whatever reason, we looked far more threatening with Sargent up top. Everyone in the squad should earn their place and those who perform should retain their starting place if fully fit! 
Would you drop Gibbs too? Or Sinani for Rashica?

58 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Or perhaps the club doesn’t think they can get away with selling the teams best player again, especially when that money was squandered so badly last time and he isn’t worth anywhere near what his value is to us.

Or perhaps the whole if a player doesn’t want to be here we have to sell them argument is just a convenient excuse when selling suits other objectives, when it doesn’t we aren’t so compliant.

Perhaps a lot of interpretations.

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

I certainly wouldn’t as he’s not been a shadow of himself for whatever reason, we looked far more threatening with Sargent up top. Everyone in the squad should earn their place and those who perform should retain their starting place if fully fit! 
Would you drop Gibbs too? Or Sinani for Rashica?

Wouldn't drop Gibbs or Sinani. Pukki is a vastly superior striker to Sargent and has been our top scorer by miles for each of the last four years. We've played three games so far, he deserves more time than that to find form and fitness. So for me, if he's fully fit, I'd start him on Friday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Wouldn't drop Gibbs or Sinani. Pukki is a vastly superior striker to Sargent and has been our top scorer by miles for each of the last four years. We've played three games so far, he deserves more time than that to find form and fitness. So for me, if he's fully fit, I'd start him on Friday.

I haven’t seen that this season! Pukki has been a little ineffective and lost out of the game (I’ve seen two live games and highlights) so for me Sargent did enough to start Friday! He’s gained a little confidence and it would be harsh to drop him. It’s up to Pukki to displace Sargent in my book!

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I haven’t seen that this season! Pukki has been a little ineffective and lost out of the game (I’ve seen two live games and highlights) so for me Sargent did enough to start Friday! He’s gained a little confidence and it would be harsh to drop him. It’s up to Pukki to displace Sargent in my book!

Agree to disagree on this one. Feed a ball into a striker's feet inside the area, and I know who I'd rather have on the receiving end of it.

Very impressed with Sargent's attitude and application, and he finished his goal nicely, but he's still something of a blunt instrument compared to the surgical precision of Pukki. I agree that Teemu hasn't looked at his best in the first three games, but it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

Noticeable last night that we got 3 decent crosses in after good moves; superb move early doors and Sarge heads narrowly over, Sarge headed goal, Hugill forces a decent save from their keeper late on. Those crosses/chances don't happen with Pukki in the team. 

It's not the end of the world if Pukki gets injured or loses form, but how that pans out across the whole season who knows!

43 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Agree to disagree on this one. Feed a ball into a striker's feet inside the area, and I know who I'd rather have on the receiving end of it.

Very impressed with Sargent's attitude and application, and he finished his goal nicely, but he's still something of a blunt instrument compared to the surgical precision of Pukki. I agree that Teemu hasn't looked at his best in the first three games, but it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

so what is the point of players playing well and scoring as Sargent did then get dropped ?

i am by far a Sargent fan !! but if you play well when you have the chance you stay in 

NOW this is not throw Pukki away this is Sargent keeps his place until his form dips 

that might be friday it might be 5 games who knows 

this is not just about Pukki this Any player Form keeps you in

this season Sargent is in better goal scoring form than Pukki and thats a fact ( never thought i would say that )

8 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Unfortunately you are correct.

Sell Milot, then we just might. 

19 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

so what is the point of players playing well and scoring as Sargent did then get dropped ?

i am by far a Sargent fan !! but if you play well when you have the chance you stay in 

NOW this is not throw Pukki away this is Sargent keeps his place until his form dips 

that might be friday it might be 5 games who knows 

this is not just about Pukki this Any player Form keeps you in

this season Sargent is in better goal scoring form than Pukki and thats a fact ( never thought i would say that )

Agree to disagree. Although they could both play, potentially.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

And the opposition that the OP says 'offered nothing except what we gave them' with this formation and personnel, finished last championship season in 3rd place. 

It's just more evidence that the overall formation and philosophy is working, which is undermined by the odd individual error, but those errors are becoming less frequent as evidenced by the shift last night from losing to bottom end Championship teams to winning against a top-end championship team. 

They’ve downgraded their manager and playing staff this season.

as evidenced last night they will likely be in for a much tougher season.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Agree to disagree. Although they could both play, potentially.

Have to drop one of Cantwell or Sinani, or Dowell and move Sinani across.

I’m not sure I’d drop any based on last game. That’s great though, team used to pick itself now there is genuinely some competition.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Have to drop one of Cantwell or Sinani, or Dowell and move Sinani across.

I’m not sure I’d drop any based on last game. That’s great though, team used to pick itself now there is genuinely some competition.

Yeah, absolutely. And if Pukki's foot is still a bit sore, what a great option to bring on for the last half an hour with a point to prove.

• Like 2

The problem with selling any player is that you have to find somebody who wants to buy them.

Edited by Yellow Wal
clarity

15 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I will die on this hill, Clarke-Harris is who we should be going for. 

Scored goals in this league for a relegated posh. 

I will die on the same hill, and second this for the umpteenth bl**dy time time. Also Veton Berisha, Fedor Chalov and that bloke Blackpool signed from Linfield, Shayne Lavery of whom i've all mentioned at least once before.