canarybubbles

"He's very well liked in the dressing room"

On 12/08/2022 at 15:06, Monty13 said:

Sargent is 22. He did ok in a team that was woeful last year.

Every time I’ve seen him play I’ve mainly seen a raw player with potential.

Are you out of your mind? Sargent is absolutely woeful. Not sure what you’re smoking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

You made a factual mistake when you said that Smith gave Omo his break; I corrected it.  

I said absolutely nothing of the sort. You claimed that, "Smith couldn't recognise a player with great potential if you stuck a 16-year-old Messi in front of him". I corrected your ridiculous claim by listing several young players that Smith has advanced since his arrival. That list also includes (20yr-old) Omobamidele because Smith has continued to develop the young player, making him a regular starter in front of Gibson. Feel free to explain how that shows Smith has failed to recognise Omobamidele's potential. Also feel free to list all the young City players whose potential you believe Smith has neglected. Your self-declared irrational hatred of Smith really is quite pathetic. 

Edited by horsefly

What's so difficult about recognising a player with potential?

We can all do that to a greater or lesser extent, and we hardly need coaching badges either.

Our well-funded academy should be readily turning out a constant supply of such youngsters. That's its purpose. In addition, the manager has an expensive collection of football minds behind him in order to get advice as to the progress of all these youngsters.

It's the way they are used that is the crux.

Smith's 'toes into the water' approach contrasts sharply with Farke's bravery when it comes to promoting potential.

I think young Rowe should have been given a start last season, for example, and especially when the team were doomed to relegation. He had shown enough and would have benefitted from such belief. Furthermore, I believe that Farke would have done just this in the same way he was willing to start Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell.

We now seem to be seeing a repeat with Gibbs, despite shining brightly in midweek and before.

We were not privileged to see enough of Springett to come to such a conclusion, although many consider him the better prospect.

In the meantime, both Mumba and Martin two very bright sparks on my horizon have been shipped out presumably to benefit player and club. We could sure do with Mumba now.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Here's a thread which needs a bump 😉😉

Perhaps the OP should retitle it.

He's very well liked in the dressing room and very well liked by Norwich fans. 🙂 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He's very well liked in the dressing room and very well liked by Norwich fans. 🙂 

As the old adage goes, “goals change forums”. 

Some of the Sargent comments here from just two weeks ago.

I'm starting to worry there won't be any egg left for my face for some of my anti-Dean Smith comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When he landed awkwardly and needed treatment yesterday, my stress level immediately rose. For a minute or so, I was thinking 'oh no, another key player crocked.' I realised he's now right up there in the bracket of those who I would least like to see pick up an injury or suspension.

So lively, even when out on the right, still had a great presence in the penalty area.

I was worried in pre-seaon and first couple of matches. But wow,  now we're really seeing there is so much to his game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Some of the Sargent comments here from just two weeks ago.

I'm starting to worry there won't be any egg left for my face for some of my anti-Dean Smith comments.

Its ok, you've still got a few in the bag re Dean Smith - cling onto them!

It's an interesting thread now, for sure. But I think that the answer to @canarybubbles' original question is that attitude can take a player a long way when he's out of form or struggling for it. Even last season, when he couldn't score into an open goal, you could see Sargent's qualities, notably his workrate and tenacity. That's the sort of stuff that can keep you going and make you an asset to the team even if you're not playing that well. Now he's stuck a few away and is playing with tonnes more confidence, he looks a decent player. The more flair players like Tzolis and Rashica don't really have that to fall back on - if they're not creating or scoring, what are they actually doing to help the team? So it's easier to write them off, rightly or wrongly. Actually, Sargent's renaissance is making me hopeful that their time will come, too.