Sign in to follow this  
baldy09

Cantwell

I suppose my question is, if he comes back and starts playing well, can we really build a team round him when we know how flaky he can be?

7 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I suppose my question is, if he comes back and starts playing well, can we really build a team round him when we know how flaky he can be?

I just can't see him getting back in the squad in any circumstance. I suspect he'll go for peanuts to a mid-table Champ side. 

But if he were to stay, I'd expect him to be on the periphery until he proves he can be trusted otherwise. To build a squad around him wouldn't be clever, but he could yet prove to be an ace up our sleeve if (massive if) he can turn things around.

On 20/05/2022 at 09:39, rock bus said:

Actually more interested in report that Sinani will be back with us for pre season -he's been decent at Huddersfield and I thought they had option to buy which theyd take up.

Smith has said that though. I believe he said something like he is looking forward to getting a look at him in pre-season but understands Huddersfield have an option so is waiting to hear from them about that first.

15 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Is Cantwell back and can he technically start today?

No can't play, not registered in prem squad

I'd be surprised if Cantwell plays for us again properly unless we offer and he signs a new contract - maybe a couple of sub appearances to remind others he is here and available. 

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No can't play, not registered in prem squad

But was he not registered start of the season? I’m not sure of the technicalities 

16 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I just can't see him getting back in the squad in any circumstance. I suspect he'll go for peanuts to a mid-table Champ side. 

But if he were to stay, I'd expect him to be on the periphery until he proves he can be trusted otherwise. To build a squad around him wouldn't be clever, but he could yet prove to be an ace up our sleeve if (massive if) he can turn things around.

Depends really 

who / why did he fall out ?

was it him ? not training etc ?

was it serious personal issues ?

was it broken promises ? 

was it a broken down transfer ?

could be a million and one things and always a way back depends how many bridges have been burnt 

as for the fans he would have to build the trust again but it is possible 

24 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

But was he not registered start of the season? I’m not sure of the technicalities 

Yes but taken out by default the moment he signed for Bournemouth 

16 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Depends really 

who / why did he fall out ?

was it him ? not training etc ?

was it serious personal issues ?

was it broken promises ? 

was it a broken down transfer ?

could be a million and one things and always a way back depends how many bridges have been burnt 

as for the fans he would have to build the trust again but it is possible 

Could be a million things, but from what we can surmise - 

1) He has had contract issues in the past and Webber has made one or two pointed comments over time, suggesting there were problems in that relationship.

2) We also know he has been left out of the team two seasons running for lack of focus, as said by Farke - and a clear falling out this season.

3) We also know he has had personal issues too, which although unspecified, this was said several times by Farke early this season and before the showdowns over him not being allowed in the team until he proved his fitness.

So really, apart from personal issues - which anyone can have - he looks to have fallen out of favour with Webber and Farke for different reasons - and then Smith could not get a tune out of him, then neither could Scott Parker. 

So he has a lot to do to get back in the team - fitness, attitude, training - just to get in the team - and then once in the team to show good form to allow him to stay there and show the fans he has what it takes. Only then can he win the fans round. If he has another season with us on the fringe of the squad, barely getting game time because others are doing better, then his career really has stuttered. Too much baggage imo, probably better off rebuilding elsewhere in the championship.  We saw with Pritchard that a talented player can have too big an ego and lose their way.....the thing about Pritchard is that he has buckled down and kept going and rebuilt some momentum in his career with Sunderland - and that is what Cantwell needs to do - let his ego go, buckle down and work hard - and whether that is with us or not, his career depends on him doing just that. 

• Like 1

Unless he signs a new deal (do we even want him to given his current trajectory?) he needs to go this summer for whatever we can get, hopefully someone will take a punt in sorting him out.

I don’t see any point in keeping him while his contract winds down, either he’s not good or he is but potentially still won’t sign a new contract because now others will be interested again.

From everything that’s happened and particularly comments from Bailey about Dean and Shaky trying “every trick with him” I just don’t see him playing for us again.