Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

ricardo's report v Newcastle

a pleasant bright morning in Norwich but I didn't realise how blustery and cold the wind was until I rode down to the ground. Again I had great grandson for company and thought it might be a good omen since his last match heralded a victory.

After last weeks defensive errors I wasn't surprised to see Gibson on the bench and in the early minutes Zimmerman seemed to be fairly assured. Indeed it was mainly all midfield, safety first stuff in the early stages until suddenly in the 7th minute a flighted ball into the penalty area found Murphy with a clear chance chance from near the left corner of the City box, Fortunately his shot across goal went a yard wide of the far post.Two minutes later City had an almost identical chance when Norman dropped the ball over a defender into the path of Keiron Dowell who in all honesty should have done better than sky his lob over Dubravka, the bar and high into crowd.

The game to'd and fro'd without any real pattern or excitement until just before the 20 minute mark when PLM broke up a Newcastle attack and carried the ball forward forty yards before releasing Pukki to his right, who appeared to have a clear run on goal. From my position at the other end it looked like the City Talisman took the ball too far and had to attempt to jink round Dubravka who had advanced to narrow the angle. Eventually Pukki had to lay it back to PLM who could only scuff a weak effort over the bar. It was a bad miss and I had a feeling then that we would pay for it. Just before the half hour we almost did when Burns glanced a header from a corner right across goal, just beating the far post.

San Maximin always looked a class above anyone else on the pitch with his speed and quick passing and it was he that laid the pass on for Joelinton to put the visitors in front ten minutes before the break. City vainly appealed for offside from Murphy's back heel that set the move up but VAR confirmed it was ok. The annoying thing was that the goalscorer had time to collect and turn before firing across Krul into the far top corner.

As so often happens one quickly became two as the City defence was caught square and two Newcastle player broke through the centre. Hanley did well to get in a challenge but Joelinton was again totally in the clear when the ball came across goal and he netted from a narrow angle with ease.

At halftime I regailed my great grandson with memories of comebacks but it was hope more than expectation and anyway this quickly went out of the window within five minutes of the restart. Krul inexplicably tried to play out through the centre and presented the ball to Gulmares on the edge of the box. He merely had to knock it into the centre of the net for game over. How quickly everything falls apart.

It was all very depressing although Dowell did bring a good save out of Dubravka from a twenty yard free kick and when Rowe came on for Norman on the hour, he did show a few flashes especially with a nice pass to put Pukki through. The angle was just too tight and I think a deflection took it past the far post although a goal kick was given, much to the City strikers annoyance. City seemed to be unable to get closer to the Newcastle net than twenty yards before just running out of ideas or being crowded out.

At the other end Krul had to make a couple of diving stops but by this time the visitors were good value for their victory. In a nutshell the game was much like the entire season. A few flashes of hope at times but never any real feeling that we were good enough in most departments. I try to remain upbeat and optimistic but this was all on the cards before Autumn had changed to winter.

With a couple of minutes left I was freezing cold and somewhat dispirited and along with thousands of others made a beeline for the exit. I almost never leave before the end but 88 minutes of that was more than enough.

Hanley, I thought did ok and Rowe, when he came on. The rest meh. Glad to get home and warm up with a cup of tea.                         

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Thanks Ricardo. 

Pretty sure it was Dowell again who was on the end of Pukkis pullback in the first half. Both were decent but difficult chances.

Speaking with Newcastle fans on the way back, until they scored they thought we were the better team in a surprisingly open game. As is so often the case with us, one goal is enough to kill any confidence or momentum. Never really looked like getting back into it.

9 minutes ago, yellowandgreen said:

Thanks for the report. Missed the last few games through illness but sounds like I was lucky to be tucked up in my warm bed.

Roll on next season. 

You made the right choice, get well soon.

We were in the game  til the first goal but the second goal took all the fight out of us. Should’ve been 1-0 up at this stage. Pukki has to put that chance away.

Yes we were in it and had chances to score. But when we didn't take those chances everyone knew what would happen. And once they scored the brittle confidence disappeared and it was game over 

I thought Sam Byram did as well as any and didn't look out of place when moved central. If he stays fit he could be a big player for us next season. Oh, and Kenny didn't hide when the going got tough.

Nice to see Jacob get a good welcome and he appreciated it applauding the city fans before kick off.

39 minutes ago, Cosmic Twin said:

Thanks Ricardo. Hope you’ve warmed up now. 
How was Zimmermann?

LOST

Thanks Ricardo. 

I too thought it was Dowell who missed from the Pukki pullback but won't know for certain until I watch it on Sky tomorrow.

It was a relative sitter for Dowell from Pukki's pull back. Leant back, wrong foot, awful really. If you don't take your chances you lose.

58 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thanks Ricardo. 

Pretty sure it was Dowell again who was on the end of Pukkis pullback in the first half. Both were decent but difficult chances.

Speaking with Newcastle fans on the way back, until they scored they thought we were the better team in a surprisingly open game. As is so often the case with us, one goal is enough to kill any confidence or momentum. Never really looked like getting back into it.

Yeah it was Dowell - Lees-Mellou was left flat on his back 25 yards out after playing a great through ball. 

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo. 

I too thought it was Dowell who missed from the Pukki pullback but won't know for certain until I watch it on Sky tomorrow.

Probably correct. Niether my glasses nor my eyesight are as good as they used to be.

I'm getting to the stage where I need a note book.

Edited by ricardo

Just now, ricardo said:

Probably correct. Niether my glasses nor my eyesight are as good as they used to be.

Same here - I have to watch on the TV afterwards to see what happened in the River End! 👀

Just now, Badger said:

Same here - I have to watch on the TV afterwards to see what happened in the River End! 👀

Did Pukki just carry it too far or did he have time for a snap shot? To me it seemed that he waited too long.

It looked to me that he carried it too far and could have shot earlier rather than go round the keeper - someone said on the Canary Call, I think, that his first touch was heavy, but I didn't notice it at the time.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes we were in it and had chances to score. But when we didn't take those chances everyone knew what would happen. And once they scored the brittle confidence disappeared and it was game over 

I thought Sam Byram did as well as any and didn't look out of place when moved central. If he stays fit he could be a big player for us next season. Oh, and Kenny didn't hide when the going got tough.

Nice to see Jacob get a good welcome and he appreciated it applauding the city fans before kick off.

Yet I thought he was culpable for the first goal. Rather than throw himself at the ball he just stuck out a leg and missed it completely. I agree he might be better in the centre as he isn't as good as Max when attacking.

• Like 1