TeemuVanBasten

Should Delia Put The Club Up for Sale?

Should Delia Put The Club Up for Sale?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Delia Put The Club Up for Sale?

• Yes
    • No

Well, in the guardian today she's already said if any reasonable offer was made itd be put to the fans to vote on.

Thats about as fair as it gets in my book.

• Like 8

Just now, hogesar said:

Well, in the guardian today she's already said if any reasonable offer was made itd be put to the fans to vote on.

That's definitely different to putting the club up for sale though.

If somebody is looking for a football club to buy there is no shortage of options, a seller needs to be motivated to attract their attention. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's definitely different to putting the club up for sale though.

If somebody is looking for a football club to buy there is no shortage of options, a seller needs to be motivated to attract their attention. 

A motivated seller attracts an opportunistic buyer. Not the person I’d want personally. 

Being open to a sale I’m happy to see, “putting the club up for sale” I’m not convinced on depending what you mean.

Edited by Monty13

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or should she continue her plan to gift her majority shareholding to Nephew Tom?

Is that the plan?

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

A motivated seller attracts an opportunistic buyer. Not the person I’d want personally. 

When you bought your house, did you knock on the doors of random houses that you liked the look of and make them an offer to buy, of did you go on Rightmove or look at the Property supplement of the EDP to see what was on the market?

• Like 3

A- She's said she would never accept any offers for the club (Didnt she also joke about 'Not wanting camels in Norwich'?)

B- She has claimed (with no evidence I must add..) that there has been no interest in our club from any potential buyers

C- Nepotism Tom is already set to take over when she retires, I have no doubt

• Like 2

How about saying we are 100% genuinely interested in selling the club. If you don't do that you are lying about your intentions. Delia owns it and she doesn't want to sell. It's all about her and MWJ. End of... Zero point in discussing.

• Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

When you bought your house, did you knock on the doors of random houses that you liked the look of and make them an offer to buy, of did you go on Rightmove or look at the Property supplement of the EDP to see what was on the market?

Yes that’s completely analogous.

How do you think rich people sell hugely expensive unique assets? On rightmove?

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is that the plan?

It is unless it has changed since her interview with The Times in 2016, where she said that her shares would be put in trust and passed on to her nephew Tom.

It is unless it has changed since her interview with The Times in 2016, where she said that her shares would be put in trust and passed on to her nephew Tom.

Well I continually posted an interview from 2019 that Delia and Michael say differently. Is there another one today?

Is there some imbalance inside you that makes you attack the female of the species?

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yes that’s completely analogous.

How do you think rich people sell hugely expensive unique assets? On rightmove?

These would use high end business brokers, of which there are many.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is there some imbalance inside you that makes you attack the female of the species?

Yes it definitely has everything to do with the absence of a c*ck, and nothing to do with us being humiliated again in a Premier League campaign.

• Like 3

Life inside Norwich City appears to be too comfortable and cosy...and nice!.

Which I suspect is why when the team is struggling we get so many insipid gutless performances.

These would use high end business brokers, of which there are many.

Yes so not in any way analogous to selling a normal house.

If Delia/Michael wants to sell all they need to do is make it known they are open to it.

There are approximately 40 PL or potential PL size clubs in England. Most are already in the hands of extremely rich owners.

For years the message has been they are only open to investment not selling.

Funnily enough most billionaires aren’t looking to invest in a rich plaything (let’s face it that’s what top echelons of football have become) without owning at least a major part.

However actively looking to offload invites two things a lower price (not that we care) but also opportunistic buyers who see the chance to get an expensive asset cheap, not the sort of owner we want IMO. 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes it definitely has everything to do with the absence of a c*ck, and nothing to do with us being humiliated again in a Premier League campaign.

I think that absence  makes you angry..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Life inside Norwich City appears to be too comfortable and cosy...and nice!.

Which I suspect is why when the team is struggling we get so many insipid gutless performances.

Heard Williams has a hell of a time down Prince of wales road with Hanley..

• Haha 1

If anyone thinks buyers are queuing up to buy football clubs, then they should read this article.

https://theathletic.com/2956329/2021/11/17/the-championship-is-for-sale/

Owning a football club is fun and there are worse ways to spend your money than bringing enjoyment and pride to thousands.

But they are bloody expensive — money pits, if you will.

According to Kieron O’Connor, the football finance expert behind the Swiss Ramble Twitter feed, Championship clubs have lost a combined £2.5 billion over the last decade, which is what happens when you spend £1.16 on wages for every £1 you earn, as the clubs did in 2019-20.

So, they are all “for sale”, to one degree or another, as nobody can afford this level of attrition forever — their accountants, families or investment committees won’t let them — but, clearly, some are a lot more for sale than others.

Here, then, is our attempt to rank them in terms of how badly they need someone else to pay the bills, or how ready they are to share the burden.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yes so not in any way analogous to selling a normal house.

If Delia/Michael wants to sell all they need to do is make it known they are open to it.

There are approximately 40 PL or potential PL size clubs in England. Most are already in the hands of extremely rich owners.

For years the message has been they are only open to investment not selling.

Funnily enough most billionaires aren’t looking to invest in a rich plaything (let’s face it that’s what top echelons of football have become) without owning at least a major part.

However actively looking to offload invites two things a lower price (not that we care) but also opportunistic buyers who see the chance to get an expensive asset cheap, not the sort of owner we want IMO. 

I do see where you are coming from Monty but when a broker takes an instruction to try and sell an asset, that is a clear indication that the seller is motivated, the broker isn't interested in people who aren't interested in selling as they make most or all of their money on completion and they will publicise to attract interest. In that sense there are similarities between selling a business and selling a house.  

Delia can pay lip service to selling but it means very little if she's not making any active attempt to find a buyer. 

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I think that absence  makes you angry..

I think that's a somewhat silly assertion. 

It is her absence of her own cash which is the problem, not the absence of meat and two veg. 

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is that the plan?

Looks like it as he was hardly appointed to the board for his business nous or deep pockets now was he ?

• Like 2

Delia it's time to go. Your retirement home awaits. This is no longer your weekend outing. Lets get the banners and chants going people. Next home game. Lets be avin ya 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I do see where you are coming from Monty but when a broker takes an instruction to try and sell an asset, that is a clear indication that the seller is motivated, the broker isn't interested in people who aren't interested in selling as they make most or all of their money on completion and they will publicise to attract interest. In that sense there are similarities between selling a business and selling a house.  

Delia can pay lip service to selling but it means very little if she's not making any active attempt to find a buyer. 

And I’m saying actively looking to sell doesn’t necessarily attract the right buyer. 

They have a fairly unique asset, just letting it be known it’s sellable will attract interest. They’ve held onto the club for 20+ years, no need to offload it quickly.

When offers are actually likely to be considered for such an asset people will come forward if there is a genuine interest in it for something more than the financial potential.

31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Again, I've said elsewhere this is a bad argument.

If you own one of the top 20 properties in the country you regularly get inundated with offers from those looking to secure one of those properties. Very rarely are they put up for sale on rightmove, yet they still change hands regularly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think that's a somewhat silly assertion. 

It is her absence of her own cash which is the problem, not the absence of meat and two veg. 

So not the absence of cash from the meat and two veg owners.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

If anyone wants to make a reasonable offer for my house I'd consider it, not going to get any offers without actively putting it on the market though. And don't throw the stupid "rightmove" argument back at me, expensive properties are still sold via agents actively seeking buyers and not by a stupid throw away comment in the sodding Guardian. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So not the absence of cash from the meat and two veg owners.

I want her to take MWJ with her, if that's what you mean. As far as I'm aware he still has his meat and two veg, whether it still works is another question. 

This type of topic drives me nuts.

The Big 6 all command revenues of £400-650m a year. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United and Spurs are run as business with the owners looking to take 7%-10% of the revenue out as profit. Man City and Chelsea are the playthings of super-rich billionaires. Even Leicester with their recent successes have struggled to hit £200m in revenue.

Most other football clubs do not make a profit, only eat up huge losses.

Gao JiSheng spent £210m for a 80% stake in Southampton in 2018, and recently sold his share at a loss for £100m. He didn't put a penny in or take a penny out. Likewise at West Brom Guochuan Lai bought the club for £200m and has only put in around £7m. Both instances were because the Chinese government instructed businessmen to buy into football clubs, to extract the knowledge and take in back to China. China has now reversed that policy.

Villa have spent £300+m over the past three seasons (though they did get £100m for Grealish) just to sit in midtable.

This is old but it highlights the gap between the big 6 and the rest of the league, with the rest of the league relying heavy on TV money. Most of this comes from overseas commercial opportunities, Man United claim they have 500m fans worldwide.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I want her to take MWJ with her, if that's what you mean. As far as I'm aware he still has his meat and two veg, whether it still works is another question. 

No that's not what I mean.