Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Wordle

19 hours ago, ricardo said:

jkbj1tiucmlj.jpeg

Says the person posting on a a thread about wordle scores. If you don't care **** off, simple isn't it!

4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Today’s word seems to have caught a few people out.

Yep. Had the sha_e from try 3. So just the r, p, d, k, l, m, v to guess right in 3. First one I've not got. 

13 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Today’s word seems to have caught a few people out.

Wait until you get to todays.😲😳

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Wait until you get to todays.😲😳

I didn’t manage it-first failure 😳

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

This is quite good but they put up New Zealand yesterday.🤔

Yeah, bit of a gimmie, that one.

Looking forward to seeing some of the more unusual island combinations, like the Faroes, Svalbard, and Aland. Mind you, I'll instantly recognise all three as I've either already visited them twice, or will be visiting them for the second time this year, pandemics permitting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, bit of a gimmie, that one.

Looking forward to seeing some of the more unusual island combinations, like the Faroes, Svalbard, and Aland. Mind you, I'll instantly recognise all three as I've either already visited them twice, or will be visiting them for the second time this year, pandemics permitting.

What is it about these places that you like?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

What is it about these places that you like?

I like Scandinavia in general to be honest - been to Norway four times (will be five if in Svalbard in June), Sweden once, Finland twice, Denmark (but stopovers on the way to Greenland for five days) once and the Faroe Islands once (will be twice in June).

Much of it is my fondness for running and my preference for cool conditions, so easier to **** off to Scandinavia. And I'm pretty much guaranteed to end up somewhere very agreeable, safe, interesting, and scenic. If you were pickpocketed in any of those three archipelagos, you'd probably end up in the press for a couple of days - it's just so safe there.

That said, the beauty of Svalbard is very much that it is something of a last frontier as far as human habitation goes and it's far more remote and austere than the other two, although Åland is not usually a place you can get to quickly unless you're lucky with flights simply as Mariehamn airport is that small - and tbh, it's much more atmospheric and fun to go by boat from Turku anyway. Going back to Svalbard, as soon as you leave Longyearbyen, you're expected to have a gun, or be on a tour with a guide who has a gun, due to the risk of polar bear attacks. And the Faroes are just so unspoilt.

Åland is a bit of an anomaly in terms of scenery - or it's fair to say it's more typical of Finland, whereas most of the others are more mountainous. About the only flat places in the Faroes and Svalbard have the airport on them! Åland is much more understated in its scenery - the attraction there comes from the combination of lower-lying land, forests and the sea.

Missed out the Lofoten islands in Norway as well, they're on the "to-visit" list. 

And if anyone's interested:

Facebook (gallery of Svalbard trip in 2019, first nine shots are from Oslo and around though, the Svalbard shots start from the airport).

(1) Facebook (gallery of Faroes trip in 2018. I'll always argue that if you like the Lake District, you'll love the Faroes - they're essentially a more austere, oceanic version of the Lake District.

(1) Facebook (stopover at a prison-themed hotel in Turku, took the ferry to Mariehamn on the Åland Islands. Scenery is very different there, as you'll see from the bike tour shots).

Edited by TheGunnShow

Cheers mate. They look like fascinating places. It's the cold that made me query why you go. You're a braver person than I. 😀👍

To be fair, Svalbard in June is usually single figures, but the wind chill could drop it below freezing. Aland in October is single figures, winds are often blustery but not as harsh in terms of wind chill, and the Faroes in June are usually in the mid-teens. Just - windy.

Coldest trip was Greenland in 2016. You know it was cold when running with a Buff over your mouth as a face covering, and merino wool became crunchy due to the water vapour after less than six miles. I think we hit minus 22 with the wind chill that day. The starting line definitely blew down a few minutes after the start and the last water station froze! 

You just need to be prepared. A windproof top layer is an absolute must when out and about and if it's waterproof, even better. Waterproof socks are a useful base, but you'll need insulation over the top. In other words, good hiking/outdoor gear, layer up on your torso in particular, and make absolutely certain your extremities are protected.

I prefer cold weather to warm though.

A city break or short tour for me and somewhere warmer is preferable. A loop around Turkey, Greece or Slovenia, lovely. I could probably handle southern Scandinavia if I timed it right and had plenty of money. 

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

A city break or short tour for me and somewhere warmer is preferable. A loop around Turkey, Greece or Slovenia, lovely. I could probably handle southern Scandinavia if I timed it right and had plenty of money. 

Might want to look at Bornholm then, Denmark's most remote Baltic island. I was sniffing at it with interest but the event I was looking at (Marathon on the Rocks) was moved from September to June this year, which puts it out of the question as I've already got two spendy trips in June as is! Åland is very much a summer destination for comfortably-off Swedes and Finns and you've also got the accessibility factor. Unless you get lucky with times of ferries from Stockholm, but that's not as scenic a route as from Turku (as you sail through the whole archipelago - from Stockholm it's pretty much water all the way).

I'd avoid Oslo if you're on anything resembling a budget - it's an agreeable city, but possibly the most expensive place I've seen. Dubrovnik's pricey as hell as well. Went self-catering there and was rather stunned at some of the supermarket prices, let alone restaurant prices in the Old Town.

Warsaw's warm in summer - people don't realise how warm Central Europe becomes when you're not near the coast. I love that place, although it won't win many beauty awards away from Stare Miasto.

I've done Dubrovnik but further up the coast around Split and the islands would be great. Northern Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria. Those sorts of places. History, warmth, good food etc.

Krakow I loved. The history,both ancient and modern can take ages to cover and a cracking city to boot.

On 18/02/2022 at 17:27, Wings of a Sparrow said:

They seem to be liking putting same two letters in a word...

Top tip for today's effort.