Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Wordle

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Today's should be clear to see but I think it will trip a lot of people up.

Ouch!

Failed. I put glass in as my starter word, as I thought you'd dropped a hint. That'll learn me 😁

• Sad 1

Sorry Wings. I'll refrain from giving cryptic clues until later in the day from now on. 

• Haha 1

Thanks Wings. I named that tune in 11 secs.😐

I needed to hear the first musical notes because I couldn't place the drums.

I've been doing the French and Welsh versions over the last couple of months. I'm very new to the latter which makes me work very hard.

Another way of learning new words for me anyway whether I get them or not.

I reckon @TheGunnShow is the language king around this place as it's his forte, so there may be a German or Swedish Wordle one out there (plus many others for him).

Will add Heardle to my list!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thanks Wings. I named that tune in 11 secs.😐

I needed to hear the first musical notes because I couldn't place the drums.

I've been doing the French and Welsh versions over the last couple of months. I'm very new to the latter which makes me work very hard.

Another way of learning new words for me anyway whether I get them or not.

I reckon @TheGunnShow is the language king around this place as it's his forte, so there may be a German or Swedish Wordle one out there (plus many others for him).

Will add Heardle to my list!

Aw, thanks. 😉

Only speak German and English though. The advantage of that language combo if travelling in the other Scandinavian countries (except Finland) is that the other languages are somewhat related so a Swedish, Norwegian, Danish word might be guessable if it's close enough to its German equivalent. That's even more true for Dutch.

Less so for Icelandic and Faroese as they've not changed as much over the centuries. Icelanders, as far as I'm led to believe, can still read the sagas of the likes of Snorri Sturlason reasonably clearly even though he died in 1241. Considerably harder for us to read Chaucer's originals, in comparison.

As for Faroese, for a region with such a small population, the language isn't very standardised. I don't think it's changed radically since Viking times so would be similar to Icelandic in that regard, but I really do not claim to be a scholar on that topic.

Wordle - First fail today. Game of chance, didn't matter if the old grey matter was cooking on gas or not.

22 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Wordle - First fail today. Game of chance, didn't matter if the old grey matter was cooking on gas or not.

Yeah, I had all but the first letter after 2 goes, didn’t get it right in the next 4 attempts 🤬

Edited by Mr Angry

Today's was a bit of a shocker. I got the vowels straight away but it also made it harder. 

48 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Has anyone else had a win one, lose one success rate with Heardle?

Yes! Today's and Song 2 in 1 sec. I'm not sure Childish Gambino or Lizzo are well enough entrenched into the psyche just yet to feature (despite liking both I'd have never got them). I think their track selection is perhaps a little bit off. 

Edited by Thumbbass
  • Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 08:01, Wings of a Sparrow said:

https://www.heardle.app/

There's another new kid on the block for you music buffs...

Did today’s for the first time, one second. I think quite a few of us would get it pretty quickly to be fair

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

Yes! Today's and Song 2 in 1 sec. I'm not sure Childish Gambino or Lizzo are well enough entrenched into the psyche just yet to feature (despite liking both I'd have never got them). I think their track selection is perhaps a little bit off. 

Oh yes, forgot it was Blur yesterday, not a clue with the other two you mentioned, but on those short clips, sound like I need to give them a listen.

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did today’s for the first time, one second. I think quite a few of us would get it pretty quickly to be fair

A song I've heard hundreds of times but still couldn't get it on the first go. I feel ashamed. Sorry Madge.

• Haha 1

"Adieu" works well as a starter word in English and French, giving four of the five vowels, although the French, being different of course, count Y as a vowel...

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Thanks!

Only time I've missed it was when Nauru cropped up. Hit the others so far. Got Cambodia on a last guess.

Was pretty pleased I hit Bouvet Island in three. Although I had to admit, I had to guess off the second one (St. Helena) and couldn't think of anything else that might have been due south.

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Worldle was odd today. I hadn't even heard of the place.

I like my geography but that is the first time in my life that I have seen that place mentioned. Tough one. 

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I like my geography but that is the first time in my life that I have seen that place mentioned. Tough one. 

Still got it in four. Decided to stick a letter in and work my way down the resulting menu, working on a process of elimination.