Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Surprises of the Smith Era

As title- with the new manager coming in, what surprises or curiosities will we see from Smith that represent a distinct departure of the realities of Farkes time here?

A suspicion I have is that Pukki will regress more into a supporting role. He's 31, has achieved everything he will do at international (and probably club) level and DF was always very set on 'if he is fit he plays'. I suppose this might depend on how DS rates Idah and Sargent.

If he rates Idah or Sargent higher than Pukki, that will certainly be curious.

I actually agree with you about Pukki getting towards the end of his top-level career, but he's still the best we have, by miles.

• Like 5

I think any Norwich manager will think himself lucky to have Pukki. Smith will recognise his quality and will play him 90% of the time barring a big loss of form. There undoubtedly will be casualties of a new regime though but it's tough to guess who they will be (fingers crossed for McLean).

• Like 1

I wonder if he’ll try to set up to try to recreate Emiliano feeding the goat more (à la petite hint from Normann last time). Or will he go wide with Tzolis & co

27 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If he rates Idah or Sargent higher than Pukki, that will certainly be curious.

I actually agree with you about Pukki getting towards the end of his top-level career, but he's still the best we have, by miles.

I agree…. I would be surprised if any manager would rate  either player as a first choice option (albeit both could be good in the future). An aging Pukki is better than both.

Perhaps we need to get someone in January and bring back Hughill for a scrappy goal off the bench…

25 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

(à la petite hint from Normann last time).

And indeed Pukki's goal against Watford. 

Add in Normann's goal vs Brentford, very reminiscent of Emi's against them at CR last year, and perhaps the biggest surprise is that Normann is the Buendía replacement, not the Skipp replacement.

• Like 1

Pukki is not necessarily past his best yet, he's always been a poacher and can still do that for us very well... if we can actually get the ball to him in decent positions. 

I think we'll see a few players given time that haven't until now. I'm hoping we see more of Tzolis for sure, and I hope we can start making substitutions before the 80th minute to actually try and change the game rather than sticking with Plan A throughout. Formation change will probably one thing that might happen, personally I hope he goes back to us as a 4-3-3. It won us promotion, it beat Man City a few years back, with the players we have it should work and if it doesn't, it can't be much worse than most of the past 11 games!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

And indeed Pukki's goal against Watford. 

Add in Normann's goal vs Brentford, very reminiscent of Emi's against them at CR last year, and perhaps the biggest surprise is that Normann is the Buendía replacement, not the Skipp replacement.

That would be nice for sure

Also if Sorensen were the real Skipp replacement… dreamtime (I know, I know.. but a man can think wishfully )

• Like 1

Sure, by no means was I indicating the other options are outright better than Teemu. Rather, my thoughts came from a Twitter discussion I saw in which Michael Bailey and Bethnal were discussing potentially how Idah might be a good facsimile for Wesley in Smith's early PL stretch with Villa.

I'm reminded of Lamberts first home match in Lg1, bringing in Korey Smith and dropping Hoolahan + Doherty (which I can remember thinking was bonkers at the time). Maybe not this weekend, but moving forward I feel like there will be at least one change-of-guard in terms of regular starters.

• Like 2

In an otherwise perfect season in the Championship last year, just about the only thing that went wrong was injury and suspension limiting Idah's chances of making an impact. It's asking a lot of him to do anything in the Prem given how little game time he's had at any professional level. He certainly seems to have a lot of attributes but he seems an obvious candidate for a loan.

• Like 1

Don't see Pukki replaced any time soon. I actually think he is one of the few who can be totally sure of their starting spot.  Our other forward options are 1-1,5 league levels behind him and getting in a player that is around him in quality level is pretty much out of our budget reach. I would guess that getting proven forward of his quality would likely be worth around 25-30M€. And if we want to have someone who is clear upgrade to him... we could not likely even pay their salary

4 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

In an otherwise perfect season in the Championship last year, just about the only thing that went wrong was injury and suspension limiting Idah's chances of making an impact. It's asking a lot of him to do anything in the Prem given how little game time he's had at any professional level. He certainly seems to have a lot of attributes but he seems an obvious candidate for a loan.

Idah needs to learn to play with his head up.  His awareness of what is going on around him leaves him behind the game. Just needs someone to teach him intelligence on the pitch.

15 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Idah needs to learn to play with his head up.  His awareness of what is going on around him leaves him behind the game. Just needs someone to teach him intelligence on the pitch.

Dont get your hopes up with that one , he's not good enough to play for us , regardless of what league were in , league 1 is his level.

6 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Sure, by no means was I indicating the other options are outright better than Teemu. Rather, my thoughts came from a Twitter discussion I saw in which Michael Bailey and Bethnal were discussing potentially how Idah might be a good facsimile for Wesley in Smith's early PL stretch with Villa.

I'm reminded of Lamberts first home match in Lg1, bringing in Korey Smith and dropping Hoolahan + Doherty (which I can remember thinking was bonkers at the time). Maybe not this weekend, but moving forward I feel like there will be at least one change-of-guard in terms of regular starters.

I do worry about Pukki - he's not a poacher as some say - and not as sharp as he was. Sargent or Idah or another should be the aerial, physical, blunder bus / chaos maker and poacher amidst the opposition defense. A Holty character who will get the ball into the net by all and any means possible even with the goalie still attached to it.

That said if we play Puki we need to get the ball to him quickly to run onto.