TeemuVanBasten

People say that Smith couldn't get Buendia ticking...

It is true.

It is also true that Pep Guardiola has yet to get as much out of Jack Grealish as Dean Smith did.

Lets not forget that Buendia went from £5m player to £37m under Farke's management, but that Grealish went to a whole new level under Smith and ended up going for £100m.

Can't bash him for one without giving him some credit for the other.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It is true.

It is also true that Pep Guardiola has yet to get as much out of Jack Grealish as Dean Smith did.

Lets not forget that Buendia went from £5m player to £37m under Farke's management, but that Grealish went to a whole new level under Smith and ended up going for £100m.

How much did we pay for him? Nothing like £5m

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yes we did - not initially though, we definitely had more to pay on promotion and I’m pretty sure it was widely reported we bought out an add-on clause (a good move)

Edited by Branston Pickle

Best appointment we could have made (given our resources and league position) and more hopeful of seeing us get some results and showing more steel in defence under the new regime. 

knutsen, Favre etc are all unknown gambles. I would also say Lampard would be given he never brought Derby to the prem and then went on to manage Chelsea

Unbelievable he will first be facing the team he last faced as Villa manager ! 

27 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

We paid £5m, which is exactly like £5m, a lot of the fee triggered after first Farke promotion. 

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It is true.

Perfectly put.

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Does it matter how much we did or didn't pay for him. He's gone.

35 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Does it matter how much we did or didn't pay for him. He's gone.

What? Emi? No! When???

20 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It is true.

Imagine what Smith can do with Lucas Rupp 😀

• Haha 2

Emi will never be an outstanding Premier League player. His style of play, his box of tricks, his mentality, the area of the field in which he can operate, none of it will work in the Prem. One of Webber's strokes of genius was to get over 30m for him. 

Mark my words. He is now involved in his second season struggling to make a mark at the top level. He might hold down his place under Steve Gerrard, but I think he is on borrowed time. I know people will disagree, but wait and see.

10 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Emi will never be an outstanding Premier League player. His style of play, his box of tricks, his mentality, the area of the field in which he can operate, none of it will work in the Prem. One of Webber's strokes of genius was to get over 30m for him. 

Mark my words. He is now involved in his second season struggling to make a mark at the top level. He might hold down his place under Steve Gerrard, but I think he is on borrowed time. I know people will disagree, but wait and see.

Agree, he's a fantastic championship player. But I very much doubt he'll make it in the prem. 

Emi, as was often the case, was possibly his own worst enemy.

That Argentinian trip caused a lot of controversy and disruption. He missed games for Villa amid suggestions that he was led astray by his "friend" Emilio Martinez. The club had given permission, although the PL had ruled against travel to red list countries.

Then there was the 'false documentation' saga and the need to spend time in a third country before being allowed back into the UK.

New to the club and not instantly settling in there, this went down badly with the Villa faithful still mourning the loss of Grealish.

I cannot recall how many games he missed, nor whether he even played minutes for his country, but remember reports that he was carrying a slight injury and would have benefitted from the treatment room at Villa Park. .