Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

Calling the upcoming Beatlejuice sequel 'Beatlejuice Beatlejuice' rather than Beatlejuice 2 is a masterstroke and a sign that it will hopefully be decent. 

• Like 1

50 years ago today the UK jury gave ABBA nil points in an ill disguised attempt to get a Eurovision victory for Olivia Newton-John😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone was trying to tell me that having a kid was life's greatest achievement.

If your average crackhead or drunkard can get someone pregnant, how much of an achievement is it really?

• Haha 3

On 05/04/2024 at 16:59, dylanisabaddog said:

50 years ago today the UK jury gave ABBA nil points in an ill disguised attempt to get a Eurovision victory for Olivia Newton-John😂

Listening to Archive On 4 on Saturday about ABBA and it made me appreciate what geniuses they were. Such extremely clever musicians and producers. 

I've never said they're not good at what they do. They're songs are ridiculously catchy and they're masters of making miserable lyrics sound happy. They just make me irrationally angry! 

Like Coldplay and the Beatles I can appreciate their brilliance without actually liking it. 

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

I've never said they're not good at what they do. They're songs are ridiculously catchy and they're masters of making miserable lyrics sound happy. They just make me irrationally angry! 

Like Coldplay and the Beatles I can appreciate their brilliance without actually liking it. 

You just mentioned Coldplay and The Beatles in the same sentence. Go and sit on the naughty step for 15 minutes and think long and hard about what you've done 😱

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I wasn't having a pop at you, apologies if it came across as one, as I am more in agreement with your view. I was simply showing my appreciation for a show that explained their musical ability in terms I understood.👍

Corned beef hash, when allowed to sit in the fridge for a few days in a sealed container, is glorious comfort food when done right. 🙂

I forgot to get the ****ing pickled beetroot in though.

• Like 1

Why can’t they invent packaging for wet wipes and other such products that prevents you from taking out more than one item from the packet-as they seem to be folded in to each other so two or three come out at once-and is also properly re-sealable, so that you’re not left with a useless packet of dry wipes?

• Like 3

Why do I feel the need to carry on going to work and doing everything as I normally would when they are literally telling us they don't need us anymore through the night by making us redundant at the end of the month? 

Why don't I just go in and sit in the staff room all night?? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Why do I feel the need to carry on going to work and doing everything as I normally would when they are literally telling us they don't need us anymore through the night by making us redundant at the end of the month? 

Being made redundant is the worst. I hope you get something lined up soon.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the job hunting. Don't come work for royal mail though. I doubt you'll like it. They currently have an 85% turnover for new starters!

Edited by The Raptor

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Being made redundant is the worst. I hope you get something lined up soon.

It really is, it takes all of the motivation out of you, just keep thinking why am I bothering. Just think all the years I've given to just be told, yeah we don't think we need you anymore sorry, bye. 

And thanks. Putting plenty of feelers out there. Got an interview at the N&N next week for a porter job, really hoping for this one. 

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the job hunting. Don't come work for royal mail though. I doubt you'll like it. They currently have an 85% turnover for new starters!

Wow 😮... I've applied with RM many times and never get anything back 🤷🤷 I know someone who works there who says much the same thing. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Posted (edited)

Speaking of comfort food, I'm really pleased with how my soljanka recipe works now, and it totally works better with at least two different types of sausage in there instead of one. 🙂

Had to prepare it with smoked tofu as the protein source when two of Miss TGS's friends came over as one was vegan. Couldn't put Worcester sauce in there either so ended up making a larger pan with the usual recipe and that slightly amended one for the vegan friend.

(For those who don't know, soljanka is an Eastern European sour soup, usually with sausage, peppers, onions and gherkins. I make mine with tomato passata as the base and sour it with the brine from the pickles - traditionally in Eastern Germany this will be finished with sour cream, but I prefer to use lime or lemon juice).

EDIT: I vaguely remember doing one with smoked frankfurters, kabanosy AND chorizo. That should work superbly when reheated, but chorizo wanders well away from its east German/eastern European origins a bit, even though soljanka was a soup that was often used to clear the fridge.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Sorry to hear that. I was made redundant with ten years service from a job where there was clearly no future for me for the six months before it happened. I was waiting for it to get a payout rather than jump to another job and miss out. But when it actually came, I was still really upset - “you don’t want me?” Took a couple of months to get over it properly.

It’s not personal, just a bean counter moving some numbers on a spreadsheet and you will be better off in the long run, you’ve obviously got a proper work ethic.

• Like 1

Back on topic: why, when I copy text from a post on here and paste it into a new post, does the font size change?

Like this: Calling the upcoming Beatlejuice sequel 'Beatlejuice Beatlejuice

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Back on topic: why, when I copy text from a post on here and paste it into a new post, does the font size change?

Like this: Calling the upcoming Beatlejuice sequel 'Beatlejuice Beatlejuice

Oh. Well it used to. 😳

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I know a mental health nurse in Norwich who told me that the worst employer in Norwich for mental health is the Royal Mail. Why on earth is that? 

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I know a mental health nurse in Norwich who told me that the worst employer in Norwich for mental health is the Royal Mail. Why on earth is that? 

Since privatisation maybe?

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Plus reduced postal volume, greater parcel volumes, increased competition from other parcel delivery services.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry, I should have said that this was 7 years ago. The main problem was bullying to a frightening degree. 

Having spoken to my postman recently he thinks that local management is over promoted and can't cope. That's his opinion, I have no idea if he's right, BUT they have no direct entry management scheme so local management compromises postmen/women who are no longer capable of walking a delivery round. 

They're a bit like the police used to be in that the people in management/investigation roles are only recruited from the PC employees. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry to hear that. I was made redundant with ten years service from a job where there was clearly no future for me for the six months before it happened. I was waiting for it to get a payout rather than jump to another job and miss out. But when it actually came, I was still really upset - “you don’t want me?” Took a couple of months to get over it properly.

It’s not personal, just a bean counter moving some numbers on a spreadsheet and you will be better off in the long run, you’ve obviously got a proper work ethic.

Six years for me, so not quite as long but long enough, and same as yourself I kind of knew it was time to move on and was already in the process of job hunting, but it was at my leisure and on my terms, thinking well I'll just carry on here until I find something. 

I also had some obviously misguided loyalty because they welcomed me back after my treatment etc without any fuss. 

It's probably what I needed in the long run to actually get a new job not just keep telling myself I need to but then carry on where I am for the comfort factor. 

I just wish it was as simple as clicking my fingers and getting a new job, but there's so much competition. 🤷 Something always comes up, and I am willing to take whatever I have to do to keep me going and keep the bills paid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Six years for me, so not quite as long but long enough, and same as yourself I kind of knew it was time to move on and was already in the process of job hunting, but it was at my leisure and on my terms, thinking well I'll just carry on here until I find something. 

I also had some obviously misguided loyalty because they welcomed me back after my treatment etc without any fuss. 

It's probably what I needed in the long run to actually get a new job not just keep telling myself I need to but then carry on where I am for the comfort factor. 

I just wish it was as simple as clicking my fingers and getting a new job, but there's so much competition. 🤷 Something always comes up, and I am willing to take whatever I have to do to keep me going and keep the bills paid. 

Good luck!!!

how do you hard boil an egg and make it easy to shell, sometimes the shell just falls off, other times you have to pick it off in bits

48 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

how do you hard boil an egg and make it easy to shell, sometimes the shell just falls off, other times you have to pick it off in bits

Is it anything to do with freshness of the egg?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

Put it in cold water after boiling it and shake it about. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Put it in cold water after boiling it and shake it about. 

This subject reminds me of a very, very old joke (primary school!).....

...two eggs were boiling in a pan and one said to the other "it's so bloody hot in here" and the other replied "well, just wait til you get outside...you'll get your head kicked in"

#getscoat

• Haha 2

Talking to my dad about a bloke both he and my grandad knew. I can remember everyone calling him 'Tex' back when I was a kid. Found out today it was a nickname, and he got it because he went on holiday to America, once.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Is it anything to do with freshness of the egg?

Could be couldn’t it. Get eggs from next door neighbours chickens sometimes, will have to experiment 👍

• Like 1