Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

7 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Has that particular circle been squared off by the Church, do we know? 

Asking for friend BTW...

Speaking of the Church, Pope Benedict kicked the bucket.

Better finish to a year than losing Betty White like 2021, I guess. Although Pele went in the process so....

On 31/12/2022 at 22:40, The Raptor said:

MATHS! Not math.

Is it only me that gets irrationally angry about this?

Idiocracy. Been meaning to see that film for 15ish years. By the guy who did beavis and butthead/office space right? Gonna hunt it out in the morning. 

52646E5E-A0C9-45E9-948D-1135A1BA1ADE.jpeg

On 01/01/2023 at 23:13, Mr Angry said:

I'm sure Raptor will say "soz" when he's next on here.

On 01/01/2023 at 23:13, Mr Angry said:

That’s all very well, but since the math word originated from a country that also came up with stuff like “burglarize”, I know which side I stand on.

On a different but related note, where TF did “on the weekend” come from? Is it just me, have people always been saying it? It really jars when I hear it. Surely we all used to say “at the weekend”?

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

I'm sure Raptor will say "soz" when he's next on here.

Soz? Not a chance.

Sorry. Yes. 

I don't care whether it's right or wrong it still annoys me!

A bit like ABBA. I can see that the songs are decent, well recorded and arranged. I know they're good and yet they annoy the hell out of me to the point I have to leave a room if they come on the radio. 

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

Soz? Not a chance.

Sorry. Yes. 

I don't care whether it's right or wrong it still annoys me!

A bit like ABBA. I can see that the songs are decent, well recorded and arranged. I know they're good and yet they annoy the hell out of me to the point I have to leave a room if they come on the radio. 

Mamma mia, does your mother know that you should say thank you for the music? 😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Mamma mia, does your mother know that you should say thank you for the music? 😉

Every man meets his Waterloo at some point.

Just now, horsefly said:

Every man meets his Waterloo at some point.

One of us knows it's when looking into their angel eyes.

• Haha 1

😂 I tend to come on non football more as the main site is just too doom and gloom constantly and winds me up. I'm not safe here now either! 

Better send out an SOS...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

😂 I tend to come on non football more as the main site is just too doom and gloom constantly and winds me up. I'm not safe here now either! 

Better send out an SOS...

They cost money, money, money. You'll just have to be a super trouper.

On 01/01/2023 at 07:54, Daz Sparks said:

Nothing irrational about that Raptor, with you all the way.

It's up there with "Can I get?"

FFS, yes, you can, whether you will, in my book is a different matter.

We had a road trip in New England for our honeymoon many moons ago. And we noticed so many weird things - people wearing trainers (sneakers) in suits carrying paper coffee cups, people using "can I get" asking for coffees (and "subs"), so many types of coffee (except a simple white coffee😀) and the collective noun "a bunch of".  Dunkin Donuts and MacDs all over the place. 25 years plus later and all that's over here! Even the mid Atlantic pronunciation like "Ciddy" not to mention the reply "I'm good". What's wrong with a gruff "Fine" grrrrrr🙂

I know English absorbs a lot but why so many Americanisms. Perhaps it's always been the same!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

We had a road trip in New England for our honeymoon many moons ago. And we noticed so many weird things - people wearing trainers (sneakers) in suits carrying paper coffee cups, people using "can I get" asking for coffees (and "subs"), so many types of coffee (except a simple white coffee😀) and the collective noun "a bunch of".  Dunkin Donuts and MacDs all over the place. 25 years plus later and all that's over here! Even the mid Atlantic pronunciation like "Ciddy" not to mention the reply "I'm good". What's wrong with a gruff "Fine" grrrrrr🙂

I know English absorbs a lot but why so many Americanisms. Perhaps it's always been the same!

Appropriately in English English "Trump" still means "fart"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Its creeping colloquialism of a once beautiful English language. thanks god that .anker still is untouched and means exactly that, it has nothing to to with bankers, that's fine for me.

Edited by nevermind, neoliberalism has had it
  • Like 1

Mentioned on The Chase earlier today...

The two parts of the word helicopter aren't 'heli' and 'copter', they're 'helico' from helix, meaning spiral and 'pter' from pteron, meaning 'wing' (like pterodactyl).

I'd never thought about it before, I found it interesting 😁

• Like 4

I understand that girls like to keep their eyebrows tidy, but what makes some of them think that this sort of thing looks nice ? 😁

87DC17BA-96EC-4101-B61D-C9308E44BF53.jpeg

11 hours ago, Herman said:

So, who has got the lurgy of some sort?

Yup.

Covid from boxing day, got over that. Now got hideous head cold with a sore throat and blocked nose & ear tubes....

#(more)miserable

35 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yup.

Covid from boxing day, got over that. Now got hideous head cold with a sore throat and blocked nose & ear tubes....

#(more)miserable

Got this bit.🤒

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Got this bit.🤒

Could well be Covid. I tested positive on the 12th December and still have all those symptoms (and massive coughing and sneezing) now despite testing negative five days later. I think there are probably a lot of people who have Covid but didn't test early on and subsequently tested negative.

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Could well be Covid. I tested positive on the 12th December and still have all those symptoms (and massive coughing and sneezing) now despite testing negative five days later. I think there are probably a lot of people who have Covid but didn't test early on and subsequently tested negative.

Hmmm, I'll give myself a test later. Although the nasal swab is going to be fun.🤢

Edited by Herman
Swap? My hooter ain't that bad.

13 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I understand that girls like to keep their eyebrows tidy, but what makes some of them think that this sort of thing looks nice ? 😁

87DC17BA-96EC-4101-B61D-C9308E44BF53.jpeg

I've seen pictures like these, where someone has Photoshopped a bird in so they look like wings. An albatross would work well on the top one 😁

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hmmm, I'll give myself a test later. Although the nasal swab is going to be fun.🤢

How long have you had the symptoms? Just be aware that a negative test doesn't mean you don't have Covid. If I had left it 3 or 4 days before I tested I would have had a negative result and believed I didn't have Covid. 

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

How long have you had the symptoms? Just be aware that a negative test doesn't mean you don't have Covid. If I had left it 3 or 4 days before I tested I would have had a negative result and believed I didn't have Covid. 

About 3 or 4 days.😬

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

DDF929B0-596C-44FB-8440-EBF2A4573896.jpeg

Well you never met our French Assistante then. A 20 year old in her first job for a term. You'll know what she was like if I was to say that we learnt no French at all and barely got through one of her small seminars (half a dozen six formers) without all manner of distraction. 

I reckon it was such a wasted opportunity now to learn from a native speaker. 😅

Edited by sonyc

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

DDF929B0-596C-44FB-8440-EBF2A4573896.jpeg

I googled one of my old teachers after they made an appearance in one of my dreams (not one of those dreams!) unfortunately she had died in 2021, but it did allow me to work out that this 'old lady', and I really did think she was oooold with a capital 'O', was 45 at the time.