Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Fred

Paying for the sins of the present

We are splurged a huge amount on who are clearly very poor premier league players

They are not going to be easy to shift, which means we will take a huge loss on their value, which I think will hinder even more this self funding team nonsense

in essence apart from a new training ground we are right back at the point where Webber took over

That’s a little unfair we were on a financial precipice where we could of slid to obscurity and we are now a premier league team so progress has clearly been made. 

what I will say is the recruitment and selling of Buendia has been very underwhelming thus far. 

17 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

We are splurged a huge amount on who are clearly very poor premier league players

They are not going to be easy to shift, which means we will take a huge loss on their value, which I think will hinder even more this self funding team nonsense

in essence apart from a new training ground we are right back at the point where Webber took over

You're right plus with a further damaged brand. Ambitious players won't want to come here and good kids coming through won't wait to get away.

33 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What sins are you paying for Uncle Fred? 

The sins of the stowmarket 2 by turning up every week 

• Haha 1

Sure, I guess you're right. We signed Emi from Getafe for about £1.3M and his value definitely plummeted last time we got relegated from the Premier League. Aston Villa signed him for 38p earlier this summer didn't they?

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

Sure, I guess you're right. We signed Emi from Getafe for about £1.3M and his value definitely plummeted last time we got relegated from the Premier League. Aston Villa signed him for 38p earlier this summer didn't they?

You have spectacularly missed the point haven’t you 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AJ said:

The new players are about 7 times more expensive, so it we maintain the same margin... I'm looking forward to us selling Rashica for £266m in a few years. 

Not sure you can blame the new signings for the current malaise. Sargent, Normann, Kabak, Rashica, Tzolis have been the players that have come out of the opening fixtures with any credit - unfortunately not all consistently. Aside from Pukki and Aarons who have been unspectacular but functional, it has been the existing Championship squad that have underperformed, particularly Krul (improving), Gibson, Hanley, McLean.

13 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Not sure you can blame the new signings for the current malaise. Sargent, Normann, Kabak, Rashica, Tzolis have been the players that have come out of the opening fixtures with any credit - unfortunately not all consistently. Aside from Pukki and Aarons who have been unspectacular but functional, it has been the existing Championship squad that have underperformed, particularly Krul (improving), Gibson, Hanley, McLean.

I'm not sure that's true.

Normann has looked good.Kabak was a real mix last game. Rashica has been unable to gel well and has shown flashes of ability for no real result. Tzolis is a good choice for the future but needs more time and Sargent has been functional but unspectacular.

None of them look like truly terribly poor signings or poor players, but as of yet, only Normann looks like a player who will be standout and who look like a massive step up for the club. 

Gibson and Giannoulis were bought for the premier league and for quite a lot of money so should be included in the list. Gibson has looked dodgy to say the least and Giannoulis has been (unfairly in my opinion) dropped.

PLM was cheap as chips and tbh, has looked good value considering what we paid. However he probably is more of a squad level standard of player, which is fine for the money, you need those too.

Edited by 1902

Just now, 1902 said:

I'm not sure that's true.

Normann has looked good.Kabak was a real mix last game. Rashica has been unable to gel well and has shown flashes of ability for no real result. Tzolis is a good choice for the future but needs more time and Sargent has been functional but unspectacular.

None of them look like truly terribly poor signings or poor players, but as of yet, only Normann looks like a player who will be standout and who look like a massive step up for the club. 

Gibson and Giannoulis were bought for the premier league and for quite a lot of money so should be included in the list. Gibson has looked dodgy to say the least and Giannoulis has been (unfairly in my opinion) dropped.

PLM was cheap as chips and tbh, has looked good value considering what we paid. However he probably is more of a squad level standard of player (which is fine) you need those too.

Agreed, they haven't been consistent, but from each of the opening fixtures at least one of the new players has been the better of the bunch (Sargent was probably our best player against Watford for instance, Rashica against Liverpool etc). PLM has been good too and I should have included him. The inconsistency is probably expected while settling in, especially since we got the business done late. 

What has happened though is that the remaining squad seemed to have dropped levels instead of stepping up. It has been massively disappointing but I just don't think you can blame the new guys. There are some experienced players on the pitch who don't seem to be coping.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The new players are about 7 times more expensive, so it we maintain the same margin... I'm looking forward to us selling Rashica for £266m in a few years. 

Rashica is probably the main anomaly as he is a tad older, but we could/will still make a decent profit on Tzolis, Aarons, Omobomadiele etc. I doubt we'd make a loss on any of the new guys either if they do come good, even if it isn't until next year and we're ripping up the championship again. 

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

Agreed, they haven't been consistent, but from each of the opening fixtures at least one of the new players has been the better of the bunch (Sargent was probably our best player against Watford for instance, Rashica against Liverpool etc). PLM has been good too and I should have included him. The inconsistency is probably expected while settling in, especially since we got the business done late. 

What has happened though is that the remaining squad seemed to have dropped levels instead of stepping up. It has been massively disappointing but I just don't think you can blame the new guys. There are some experienced players on the pitch who don't seem to be coping.

It's the system, I lost count  of how many instinctive  10 to 20 yards passes , the kind that were finding the man last season  and even the season  before, now not reaching  the target, as the recipient  had either run past the ball, or not made the run at all.  It'll improve , has to , or we'll  implode.

17 minutes ago, AJ said:

Rashica is probably the main anomaly as he is a tad older, but we could/will still make a decent profit on Tzolis, Aarons, Omobomadiele etc. I doubt we'd make a loss on any of the new guys either if they do come good, even if it isn't until next year and we're ripping up the championship again. 

Tzolis - very early days to make a definitive prediction but to suggest we will be able to sell him for c£20M (say) is a tad optimistic. 

Next season - if we continue this unedifying downward spiral, I think it absurd to even think that we will be able to do this. Many players will leave / want away whilst the most experienced (Krul, Gibson, Hanley, Pukki) will almost certainly be much closer to the twilight (if not the full evening) of their careers.