Bill

The official Gillingham thread

27 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorry but we really do need another option if we are to stay up. Goals against, Kings Lynn and Gillingham are great but unproven against top flight defenders.

And thats why I included "if he can keep it up against Newcastle as well". There were also many other good performers today, but the real test is to see if they can do it when there is less space and time available. Pretty excited to see it though!

On the bus home now... getting VERY good vibes about PLM. Looks a shrewd acquisition. Dimi was outstanding, but wasn't seriously tested defensively. Gilmour and Cantwell just ooze class, Rupp was solid but unspectacular. Gibbo and Aarons also comfortable but not really pressured much.

Dowell looked a little off the pace to me, and Idah does the simple things well and took his second goal superbly, but doesn't seem to have a fear factor about him. Omobamidele continues to impress, great in the air and on the ground, hugely confident young man.

Yes it was Gillingham, but plenty of positives to take from tonight.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

On the bus home now... getting VERY good vibes about PLM. Looks a shrewd acquisition. Dimi was outstanding, but wasn't seriously tested defensively. Gilmour and Cantwell just ooze class, Rupp was solid but unspectacular. Gibbo and Aarons also comfortable but not really pressured much.

Dowell looked a little off the pace to me, and Idah does the simple things well and took his second goal superbly, but doesn't seem to have a fear factor about him. Omobamidele continues to impress, great in the air and on the ground, hugely confident young man.

Had similar observations myself. 

Was great to be back at Carrow Road first and foremost. 

I know we didn't have much choice today with the lineup but I very much expect the 4 3 2 1 formation we played to become our standard this season. I expect that's why Billing is so high on our list this summer, I would expect him to play the role Rupp took up today and really add some steel alongside Gilmour and Less Melou. 

Gilmour looks utter class, it looks like Less Melou also looking like he could be a very shrewd signing. 

Now we need a 3 or 4 more players to really look competitive. 

22 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. Gilmour controlled the game, Lees-Melou was excellent, Cantwell showed glimpses of genius, Idah took his well and Giannoulis exploited the fact that Gillingham gave him half the pitch to himself.

It's tough to really judge the defenders though when they were given so little to do. I don't think we really learnt anything about Gibson and Omobamidele tonight, in all honesty.

Really enjoyed being back this evening. Loved the Farke celebration at the end, boy I’ve missed that!

Quite positive for us, not sure if Gillingham got anything positive out of the match. 

Happy Gilmore and Lees-Melou look quality. Cantwell great but needs to stop going down so easily. 
Hoping the brace from Idah will give him confidence.

Great to see the new boys on at the end. The pipeline is looking pretty healthy. 

If people can’t see Todd’s array of qualities after that game, whilst being aware that he has also done it against the Prem’s top 6 as well as Gillingham, then all I can say is god help them! 

First time back in Norfolk since December 2019 and first time back at Carrow Road since the Newcastle game of August 2019; its been a lovely week seeing family and was great to be back inside the ground.

I never read too much into friendlies as they are all about match fitness, settling in new players and formations. That said, Gilmour is clearly a player. Ran the show. The new French lad looked decent as well.

Still need players in through the door if we are to stay up. Fingers crossed.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, priceyrice said:

I know we didn't have much choice today with the lineup but I very much expect the 4 3 2 1 formation we played to become our standard this season. I expect that's why Billing is so high on our list this summer, I would expect him to play the role Rupp took up today and really add some steel alongside Gilmour and Less Melou. 

I echo that thinking. Playing three box-to-box midfielders looks a great strategy for moving towards a more counter-attacking style of play in preference to one heavily based on possession and use of a number 10. Gilmour, Rupp, Lees-Melou, and McClean all have great engines, all are capable of surging forward with purpose, all capable of making great passes, and all have a bit of speed when needed. They all, no doubt, possess the nous to switch between defensive and attacking roles depending on what his midfield partners happen to be doing at any particlar point. Add to that mix Sorensen and another incoming multi-million purchase, and we look a damn sight better prepared in midfield than we were last time we hit the PL. 

• Like 1