I realise that there remains a lot of animosity towards this club because of the way it evolved, but surely now is the time to bury that particular hatchet due to it's current connectivity to many things NCFC. 

I never felt much of that distaste (Wimbledon had no ground, Milton Keynes a new town of 200, 000 inhabitants had no club,) but I don't want to get into that particular debate as I'd likely be in a minority of one.

Russell Martin was, if nothing else (in the eyes of some) a great servant and ambassador of our club. He seems to be making a decent fist of his first managerial role and has relied upon a few Canary recruits to assist him in this.

Carlton Morris, Louis Thompson and now Josh Martin have joined the ranks in recent times. Are there others/ behind the scenes appointments?

I'm following/supporting them next season, especially as agent Martin  and his canary crew will once again be pitted against our beloved neighbours, who seem convinced to a man that the league is theirs for the taking this coming season.

One of the  great advantages of Chumps football was that there was usually something on most Tuesday nights ..... especially as my quiz league was abandoned due to the pandemic. The rather curtailed, by comparison,  Premier League season we now face creates a void.

Following the Dons might present some small amusement.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Never bury and never forgive until they remove 'dons' from their name.

A sign of respect for the achievements of the original Wimbledon FC.

For one year they actually kept the name Wimbledon, anticipating some fans would stay loyal. Unsurprisingly few did (50 miles is 50 miles,) but there were never that many in the first place.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes. Did the Macedonia Greeks ever give in wanting "North" added to Macedonias Name. No

I have been following from afar and by all accounts Martin is doing a good job there. Playing a high possession patient style which they deserve some credit for. Feels like our first season under Farke. Dominate possession but not yet quite got the goals in them to kick on to the next level despite creating plenty of chances.

Cameron Jerome was involved last season but has moved onto the Championship. Surman was there too but not sure if he is signed up for this coming season. Matt Gill has also joined the coaching staff.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Yes. Did the Macedonia Greeks ever give in wanting "North" added to Macedonias Name. No

What an exceptionally odd tangent to take.

Whether liked or not, they're not going anywhere now. And with Russ in charge they're proving a useful club in helping develop our players. 

Good luck to them, I think Russ is a great guy and want him to succeed and I'm keen to see how Josh Martin does.

43 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I realise that there remains a lot of animosity towards this club because of the way it evolved, but surely now is the time to bury that particular hatchet due to it's current connectivity to many things NCFC. 

I never felt much of that distaste (Wimbledon had no ground, Milton Keynes a new town of 200, 000 inhabitants had no club,) but I don't want to get into that particular debate as I'd likely be in a minority of one.

Russell Martin was, if nothing else (in the eyes of some) a great servant and ambassador of our club. He seems to be making a decent fist of his first managerial role and has relied upon a few Canary recruits to assist him in this.

Carlton Morris, Louis Thompson and now Josh Martin have joined the ranks in recent times. Are there others/ behind the scenes appointments?

I'm following/supporting them next season, especially as agent Martin  and his canary crew will once again be pitted against our beloved neighbours, who seem convinced to a man that the league is theirs for the taking this coming season.

One of the  great advantages of Chumps football was that there was usually something on most Tuesday nights ..... especially as my quiz league was abandoned due to the pandemic. The rather curtailed, by comparison,  Premier League season we now face creates a void.

Following the Dons might present some small amusement.

Imagine how you would feel if a new owner came in and suddenly moved our club 83 miles away taking away all the history and everything it stood for in that community. Wanting Russell Martin and our players to do well yes, forgive them and bury the hatchet for what they do, never. They dont deserve the name Dons in their name. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Imagine how you would feel if a new owner came in and suddenly moved our club 83 miles away taking away all the history and everything it stood for in that community. Wanting Russell Martin and our players to do well yes, forgive them and bury the hatchet for what they do, never. They dont deserve the name Dons in their name. 

But the Taylor report had considered Plough lane unsuitable.

They had been lodging at Selhurst Park.

They went into administration and were in danger of folding altogether.

The Chester Report addressed the problems caused by the changing (population ) landscape when up against the establishedl professional football landscape:

"  ...... the movement of established clubs to new communities could provide a way both of saving old clubs and at the same time bringing League football to new and growing areas." Closely fitting this description, Milton Keynes provided a clear staging ground for such an experiment"

I too felt for the Wimbledon fans at the time, but it was a complicated situation, not helped by the intransigent Merton Council.

Edited by BroadstairsR

17 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

This

Do we now treat Wimbledon supporters as the wrong doers. How about if our club sold out to a franchise in Colchester. If Russell Martin ect we’re not there, would it still be felt all should be forgotten ? Has all the rest of football forgiven Milton Keynes because they hired Russell Martin.

I have a lot of respect for Russell Martin and this is a perfect place for him to move his managerial career forward, that does not make what Milton Keynes did a good thing. All those that hated Gill when he moved Ip5w1ch do you love him now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Didn't the old owner Sam Hamman fail in an attempt to relocate the club to Dublin prior to the takeover?

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

50 odd miles.

Didn't the old owner Sam Hamman fail in an attempt to relocate the club to Dublin prior to the takeover?

He did.  It was a strange situation.  Wimbledon were an established top league club, but they simply didn’t have the fan base to sustain the wages etc needed to carry on competing.  It must have been a tough call for Sam Hamman at the time, I seem to recall he did try very hard to improve plough lane but there was little support from the locals or the politicians.  I wonder where they would be had they stayed, probably lower down the pyramid than they are now but it is guess work.

17 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He did but thats irrelevant, if any owner tried to move and relocate a club it would be wrong regardless of who was the person to do it and the fact that MK got to stay in the football league while the phoenix club in AFC Wimbledon had to work their way back through the lower leagues is quite frankly disgraceful in my opinion. Im assuming by your responses youd be happy if we got moved a similar because it would be good for another community? 

7 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

He did.  It was a strange situation.  Wimbledon were an established top league club, but they simply didn’t have the fan base to sustain the wages etc needed to carry on competing.  It must have been a tough call for Sam Hamman at the time, I seem to recall he did try very hard to improve plough lane but there was little support from the locals or the politicians.  I wonder where they would be had they stayed, probably lower down the pyramid than they are now but it is guess work.

Hamman was one of those unusual and wealthy individuals that football occasionally throws up.

Apparently he originally moved to the area because he was akeen tennis fan and saw the opportunity of buying shares in an ailing football club as a bit of self-promotion.

He later caused all that controversy when taking over Cardiff City.

I wonder if a the Crazy Gang situation could evolve in today's game.

Perhaps Russel Martin's MK Dons will become mk.2 in that respect as well.

7 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

He did but thats irrelevant, if any owner tried to move and relocate a club it would be wrong regardless of who was the person to do it and the fact that MK got to stay in the football league while the phoenix club in AFC Wimbledon had to work their way back through the lower leagues is quite frankly disgraceful in my opinion. Im assuming by your responses youd be happy if we got moved a similar because it would be good for another community? 

That's suddenly aggressive and a very strange deduction and you also assume wrongly.

Its a discussion and I would rather it be about the current situation at the club, with it's NCFC input, than have a mental re-run of all the old issues raised years ago.

Admittedly it is difficult to avoid the latter as the whole situation threw up so many complexities.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's suddenly aggressive and a very strange deduction and you also assume wrongly.

Its a discussion and I would rather it be about the current situation at the club, with it's NCFC input, than have a mental re-run of all the old issues raised years ago.

Admittedly it is difficult to avoid the latter as the whole situation threw up so many complexities.

Let’s hope that other clubs don’t see our love in with MK as a reason to hate us in the same way they hate them. I can see what you are saying, but this should be about getting Russell Martin to the top ( maybe our manager ) not supporting what the Milton Keynes Franchise did.
I will try asking again, if this was done to NCFC ie a rich multi billionaire said I would make Norwich a Champions league team, but base them in Colchester and call them Colchester Canaries I guess you would now support it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Let’s hope that other clubs don’t see our love in with MK as a reason to hate us in the same way they hate them. I can see what you are saying, but this should be about getting Russell Martin to the top ( maybe our manager ) not supporting what the Milton Keynes Franchise did.
I will try asking again, if this was done to NCFC ie a rich multi billionaire said I would make Norwich a Champions league team, but base them in Colchester and call them Colchester Canaries I guess you would now support it.

…..and if this did happen, the same scenario as AFC Wimbledon would take place. Football is tribal and territory based and a new club would replace the old. 

"I will try asking again, if this was done to NCFC ie a rich multi billionaire said I would make Norwich a Champions league team, but base them in Colchester and call them Colchester Canaries I guess you would now support it."

Oh no! Didn't I just know that this would  happen?

Anybody with the slightest appreciation of the situation pertaining to Wimbledon FC at the time would realise than any comparison of any kind with Norwich City F.C. at any time is quite irrelevant. Why does everything need be seen in such a black and white way?

Newtopia summed Hamman's conundrum up above:

" It must have been a tough call for Sam Hamman at the time, I seem to recall he did try very hard to improve plough lane but there was little support from the locals or the politicians." 

Btw. I was quoting the Chester Report when mentioning the desirability, under certain circumstances, of established, but failing  clubs moving to newer more populated places like Milton Keynes.

It is a report worth reading, for although very dated, it throws up many reasoned answers to questions that remain today. (Summary via Wiki.)

The situation with Bury, above all, has illustrated the gap between conglomorations of football clubs and the support/population available to keep them on a sound footing. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They should have renamed themselves "Wimbledon Wanderers".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

No aggression intended at all it was just my deduction from your replies on this thread. For a lot of people I don't think Milton Keynes will ever be accepted as anything other than a franchise (me included). I want Russell Martin to do the best he can and progress his career as much as possible to one day manage us and for our young ones to develop however I shall never route for Milton Keynes ever. The quicker Russ gets noticed and moved onto a better and bigger club the better. 

13 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

No aggression intended at all it was just my deduction from your replies on this thread. For a lot of people I don't think Milton Keynes will ever be accepted as anything other than a franchise (me included). I want Russell Martin to do the best he can and progress his career as much as possible to one day manage us and for our young ones to develop however I shall never route for Milton Keynes ever. The quicker Russ gets noticed and moved onto a better and bigger club the better. 

Its always viewed as aggressive if you post something that doesn't agree with Broadstair's view! 

Totally agree with wishing Russ and other former NCFC links the best, and success. Not fussed about MK Dons as a club.Only one club I care about. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

Fair enough. As I said above, I was quoting the Taylor Report about "new communities."

At the time Wimbledon had no fit ground, poor support, were on the brink of folding and had an owner who was trying to sell the existing ground to Safeway because there was no funding to upgrade it. No real comparison with NCFC, even in the very worst of our times and a situation ripe for the so-called "franchise" takeover.

I appreciate what you say Lincsy, but here's a dilemna for you.

Next season: ITFC v. MK Dons.

Who do you want to come away with the points?

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Its always viewed as aggressive if you post something that doesn't agree with Broadstair's view! 

Totally agree with wishing Russ and other former NCFC links the best, and success. Not fussed about MK Dons as a club.Only one club I care about. 

His latest gem.

Took some time.

Piffle.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

His latest gem.

Took some time.

Piffle.

Very mature! 

My post was on topic and valid - unlike yours! 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Very mature! 

My post was on topic and valid - unlike yours! 

How on earth was your first line "on topic and valid," that's stretching it a bit, even by your usual standards.

As for the rest?

Well said old chap.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

How on earth was your first line "on topic and valid," that's stretching it a bit, even by your usual standards.

As for the rest?

Well said old chap.

Erm, read back, I'm sure even with your selective vision you can see the previous posts which highlighted your sensitivity to someone's perceived aggression against you! Bit of a delicate flower aren't you!  Hope you're ok?

I don't seek your approval or endorsement. 

Lets try to keep on topic. 

If I may answer the question you send to Lincsy - ITFC - V MK Dons - Its got to be ITFC to lose every time, that's such an easy one. Always want them to get beaten no matter who they are playing. End of.  

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Quite.

I'll take that as your agreement! (not that it was sought or required). You do make me laugh though. 

I'll leave you to have the last word that you so crave. 

Good day to you! 

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I'll take that as your agreement! (not that it was sought or required). You do make me laugh though. 

I'll leave you to have the last word that you so crave. 

Good day to you! 

You can take it any way you wish fella.

The easiest cage to rattle on this entire forum.

Never lets you down.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Erm, read back, I'm sure even with your selective vision you can see the previous posts which highlighted your sensitivity to someone's perceived aggression against you! Bit of a delicate flower aren't you!  Hope you're ok?

I don't seek your approval or endorsement. 

Lets try to keep on topic. 

If I may answer the question you send to Lincsy - ITFC - V MK Dons - Its got to be ITFC to lose every time, that's such an easy one. Always want them to get beaten no matter who they are playing. End of.  

100% this, Ipswich to lose every single time, any dislike of any other football team I might have goes firmly out of the window when Ipswich are playing them!