Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

VAR at Euros

2 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Yes - The Spain penalty yesterday, should not have even been referred to VAR but it was, and after review a penalty should never, ever have been given but it was, thankfully the pen was missed but teams should not have to rely on that. I would also question the validity of the Czech penalty, throw in the non review of the Sterling incident and I would suggest that there are still inconsistencies in the system.........

I agree that there are inconsistencies - but this tournament has seen the best officiating I recall and the use of VAR has been effective and quick.  Well done organisers - just hope the approach gets adopted across the domestic leagues.

var at the euros has been spot on they allow the refs to make nearly all the decisions

then only use it if they have to

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

I wasn't convinced by the Spain penalty either, although it was a reckless challenge. However, the key point remains that VAR decisions have been overwhelmingly correct (still at 95% plus I suspect) and many original errors have swiftly been put right.

The defender stood on his foot after the ball had gone-a definite foul anywhere else on the pitch. Can’t understand Danny Murphy saying that it wasn’t a foul because it occurred after the ball had been played.

5 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

The defender stood on his foot after the ball had gone-a definite foul anywhere else on the pitch. Can’t understand Danny Murphy saying that it wasn’t a foul because it occurred after the ball had been played.

I think that example raises an issue not particularly related to VAR as such but the issue of whether all fouls inside the box should automatically lead to a penalty. The player concerned had not been prevented from playing the ball as he wished to play it by the contact that was made with him after he had made his cross. As such I understand those who would not want a foul awarded because the resulting penalty would seem too severe a punishment for the contact made. As you rightly point out, elsewhere on the pitch that's a definite free kick, and if a free kick could be awarded in an incident like this in the box I would have no problem with it, but a penalty seems very excesssive.

I think VAR being used relatively well at this tournament probably puts an end to any hope I had that we'd ever see VAR done away with. From my personal experience it seems like the tide of public opinion is moving towards accepting/celebrating it, which I find really depressing.
I think the way we experience goals in football has subtly, and permanently altered - we now celebrate goals with about 65% of the emotion we used to - the other 35% is reserved for "VAR might rule it out". I imagine those in favour of VAR would say the pay-off for that is fewer ref mistakes, and that that is a fair swap?
Personally I've never been as angry at a ref/linesperson's mistake than I have when VAR ruled out our 2nd against Spurs.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I have Lukaku as captain and De Bruyne who made the assist!

It is an outrage…

Never a pen, nor was Czech vs Croatia, also several too close to call offsides.  Var is still being pretty crap imo

Edited by Branston Pickle

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

VAR is pointless unless it overrules the ref. And have any?

Frances 2nd goal tonight 

Was that not a blatant penalty to France at the end there? Same ref as the Eng v Scotland game wasn’t it. 

9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Was that not a blatant penalty to France at the end there? Same ref as the Eng v Scotland game wasn’t it. 

Exactly, so correct decision to not award one, like the Sterling one never a penalty 

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Exactly, so correct decision to not award one, like the Sterling one never a penalty 

Both were penalties