Sign in to follow this  
CanaryLegend

Michael Olise

Rumoured £8m buy-out clause. This is an absolute bargain.

We are sitting top of the league in a comfortable position but we should not get complacent and should be strengthening for next season.

Yes we are pandemic environment with limited finances but we have to measure caution and the risk of not going up versus ambition and of working the odds in our favour to guarantee ourselves best possible chance of going up.

Buy now and bed him this season ready for next year. Olise, Buendia, Aaron’s - some players for the Prem then!

• Like 1

Yeah, snap him up for that price. We would need a back up for Emi even if he doesn't leave 

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to say this knowing the hit storm that will come my way but...

Sadly we know there is zero chance of this happening sadly, as Delia and the board would see £8million as mega money.

Even if it's an investment, a backup for emi, and the fact we have other assets to sell (and have made a fortune from other assets) and as said we are likely to go up so what's £8million for a premier League team (and it's not that much for the champ)

We all know it won't happen because the bottom line is Delia has not or will not spend "sort of money" (which is not really a big fee anymore, especially for an attacker)

Some will say it shows lack of ambition, some will say that im hitting the club with any stick despite the board guiding us through a sticky time financially with covid and relegation (and they have ofcourse done so very well since Delia came in), sticking to Webber and farke and us due to have another promotion. 

I'd like to say I'm not hitting the club, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive that Delia has done a great job and the model does work, but we can also/should also invest 8m in a young forward.

Erm, we're going to spend 9 Million on Gibson and 7 on Giannoulis if we go up. So yeah 8 Million is a lot for us but it's not like we'll never spend that again. For what its worth i don't think Olise would join us anyway, I think he'll go to a more established mid table PL team. It'll prob be a case of a few of them meeting the release clause then the bidding will be determined by his wages and there's no chance we'd match other clubs there

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Erm, we're going to spend 9 Million on Gibson and 7 on Giannoulis if we go up. So yeah 8 Million is a lot for us but it's not like we'll never spend that again. For what its worth i don't think Olise would join us anyway, I think he'll go to a more established mid table PL team. It'll prob be a case of a few of them meeting the release clause then the bidding will be determined by his wages and there's no chance we'd match other clubs there

... Yeah.... I'd forgotten about those deals.

Egg on my face.

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yep, probably true..... unless no one bigger than us comes in for him of course.

31 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Is the purchase fee £9m for Gibson?! Quality player, but seems pretty steep considering he's 28, will only have a year left on his contract come the summer, and had effectively missed two whole years when we signed him.

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Is the purchase fee £9m for Gibson?! Quality player, but seems pretty steep considering he's 28, will only have a year left on his contract come the summer, and had effectively missed two whole years when we signed him.

Think it’s believed to be £8m for Gibson. When the rumours about Giannoulis were first announced it was supposed to be €0.5m for the loan, and €7m for signing on a permanent deal i.e. €7.5m in total. Looking at the current exchange rates, €7.5m = less than £6.7m and we may not even sign him on a permanent deal, only if we think he’s good enough.

27 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Think it’s believed to be £8m for Gibson. When the rumours about Giannoulis were first announced it was supposed to be €0.5m for the loan, and €7m for signing on a permanent deal i.e. €7.5m in total. Looking at the current exchange rates, €7.5m = less than £6.7m and we may not even sign him on a permanent deal, only if we think he’s good enough.

Yeah this seems more likely, I didn't look up the fees that was just from memory. Still it shows that we can now pay higher fee's than in Webbers first 3 years. We have room to speculate a little more now being debt free and having a potential 100m in transfer fees should we get into trouble that we could recoup from selling Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons and that's the worst case scenario. If we get promoted again we will be in a very strong position financially, it would still likely mean we wouldn't spend above 10m on a single player, but we'll be able to look at a higher caliber of targets than we've been able to the last 3 years and I'm really excited to see what Webber and Farke could do with that money

1 hour ago, NeymarSmith said:

We all know it won't happen because the bottom line is Delia has not or will not spend "sort of money" (which is not really a big fee anymore, especially for an attacker)

You mean Webber surely, as we have spent that sort of money before? 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I mean... he only turned 28 two weeks ago, so got a lot of mileage left, and surely missing two years of football extends his life as less wear and tear, as it wasn't down to injury? 

Its really not old, Tyrone Mings is 28 in a couple of months, didn't he cost £25m eighteen months ago?

There is a premium for left footed centre backs as teams want balance and there isn't many of them around, Nathan Ake is not a £41m centre back if right footed. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'd be up for that if we sold one of Cantwell or Buendia, but as others have rightly said, we'll be splashing out close to fifteen million on Giannoulis and Gibson already. Definitely like the idea of Olise coming in in terms of ability, and you'd think Reading would try and renegotiate that contract to sort that out...

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean... he only turned 28 two weeks ago, so got a lot of mileage left, and surely missing two years of football extends his life as less wear and tear, as it wasn't down to injury? 

Its really not old, Tyrone Mings is 28 in a couple of months, didn't he cost £25m eighteen months ago?

Yeah, and he's probably had regular oil changes as well.

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

While I’m not one for Mr Smith’s general point that the club under its current ownership won’t spend £8 million on one player, as Mr Stieperman has pointed out, making a bid to match his buyout clause now in the January transfer window would be a typical crafty Webber type move.

January traditionally is not a window for strategic buys as values are inflated, but that doesn’t apply in this case with a buyout clause. There probably won’t be too many other bidders unless someone really wants him. So *if we want him* now would seem to be a good time to try and get him. The fact that (as far as we know) we haven’t would suggest either that we don’t rate him that highly, or maybe his agent is playing the long game and hoping a bidding war in the summer will result in a better deal.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Yeah, and he's probably had regular oil changes as well.

I know you are having a dig but its a valid point.

You often get players saying that they were finished early because they were thrown into games every week earlier than other players, Michael Owen for example was playing every week at 17. 

If Ben Gibson had played 80 games over that two seasons he'd have the scars to prove it, we humans never really fully recover from most injuries. There is a point where constant strains etc cause the body to just break down.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if two years of not playing extends Gibsons career by a year or two. 

But still, £8m to have a good centre back for say four years... sounds like a good deal to me. Not everything is about resale value, you have to deviate from that model now and again.

You can't rely on being able to consistently churn out left footed centre backs, its a position worth investing in. If Famewo makes the grade we'll have two! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

It's not the fee, it's wages. It's one of the reasons why we generally sign prospects & not the finished article, & why our best players will always leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I know you are having a dig but its a valid point.

You often get players saying that they were finished early because they were thrown into games every week earlier than other players, Michael Owen for example was playing every week at 17. 

If Ben Gibson had played 80 games over that two seasons he'd have the scars to prove it, we humans never really fully recover from most injuries. There is a point where constant strains etc cause the body to just break down.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if two years of not playing extends Gibsons career by a year or two. 

Nope, not having a dig. I think you're probably right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There is a premium for left footed centre backs as teams want balance and there isn't many of them around, Nathan Ake is not a £41m centre back if right footed. 

Yeah, good points well made. £8m sounds about right I reckon.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You mean Webber surely, as we have spent that sort of money before? 

Do I meant Delia Chap. I'm sure Webber would prefer to work with a bigger budget.

And as you rightly pointed out Delia has spent that kind of money before on Naismith and rvw, and they had their fingers burnt. Even klose wasn't a bargain really. 

But yes, 8m a steal. Shouldn't even be a question, just get him in, even from next year's budget.

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yeah this seems more likely, I didn't look up the fees that was just from memory. Still it shows that we can now pay higher fee's than in Webbers first 3 years. We have room to speculate a little more now being debt free and having a potential 100m in transfer fees should we get into trouble that we could recoup from selling Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons and that's the worst case scenario. If we get promoted again we will be in a very strong position financially, it would still likely mean we wouldn't spend above 10m on a single player, but we'll be able to look at a higher caliber of targets than we've been able to the last 3 years and I'm really excited to see what Webber and Farke could do with that money

There’s been a lot of argument over how much we will be able to spend this summer if we manage to go up - the whole idea of promotion, 50% pay cuts, parachute payment, and Lewis/Godfrey makes it sound good but loads of people are just saying it will be a tale of the past again. I think we will just have to wait and see - I don’t have a clue.