cambridgeshire canary

With Soto back- What's our striker order?

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're a funny one sometimes Indy.

The quote from Farke says that they 'will take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress' and then it 'may be that he goes back out on loan'. 

Your reaction to this is: "Not sure what the idea was to bring him back then".

My reaction to his is: "The idea is to take a look at him until the end of the month and assess his progress and then make a decision as to what to do next.". 

But surely it would be better to send scouts to watch him play in a settled team? Are we going to assess him in the under 23? Or training? Still think it might be more that he’s now passed the permit requirements and if we waited till summer he might not pass the requirements should he miss out in USA selection.....

Personally I think he’ll prove to be an option, we might well see Idah go out on loan and keep Soto as third choice.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

But surely it would be better to send scouts to watch him play in a settled team? Are we going to assess him in the under 23? Or training? Still think it might be more that he’s now passed the permit requirements and if we waited till summer he might not pass the requirements should he miss out in USA selection.....

Personally I think he’ll prove to be an option, we might well see Idah go out on loan and keep Soto as third choice.

I'm not even sure what the rules are regarding scouts going to watch players play at the moment, but it would presumably be far easier to send scouts to watch him at say MK Dons than it would be at Telstar. Farke has often spoken about how important it is to him that players show their worth in training so I would have thought the objective in the short term is to assess him in training AND playing for the U23s. The two things are hardly mutually exclusive. 

I think you're probably right as well about the work permit requirements - in which case another smart move by Webber and co. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

No better way of finding out how a player stacks up against teammates by having them train alongside their teammates. Soto's performances in the Netherlands have opened the door. This is seeing if he has what it takes to get through the door at the moment. If not, or if he's slightly short at the moment, he'll probably get another loan.

His performances, especially when considering what Cantwell did with a stronger team in the same league (Cantwell went to Fortuna Sittard, who tend to be a yo-yo club, and were fighting to go up), indicate that he could be ready right now, and that's exactly what they want to find out.

• Like 1

Bizarre decision to bring him back to potenially end up playing U23 football. 

Unless there is a club ready to take him who are playing at a better standard than Telstar. 

Play him at u23 in their bottle and if required due to injury to first team strikers get tested and include in first team bottle.  But yes better at Telstar now can vie at close quarters.

I think he's been brought back purely due to the work permit situation. The appeal window that is open this month will not be around come the summer and its unlikely that Soto would be any closer than he is now to getting the required points. If we didn't get him back now he would have to get the points required for a permit, and that would require sending him to a higher level than he is currently playing at and if he is good enough to play in one of the top band leagues needed to qualify for a permit, then chances are he is likely good enough to play for us. It sounds like the club was in contact with the US national team, and both came to the conclusion that playing in England will do him good, so they both did all they could to ensure he got over here.

The article on the main page clearly states that Farke wants to assess him properly as he hasn’t had a chance to work with him on the training ground yet and that either he or Omotoye will go out on loan before the end of the month with the other providing cover for the first team. Seems pretty straightforward to me. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The article on the main page clearly states that Farke wants to assess him properly as he hasn’t had a chance to work with him on the training ground yet and that either he or Omotoye will go out on loan before the end of the month with the other providing cover for the first team. Seems pretty straightforward to me. 

Bit odd to bring him back from loan early only to send him out on loan again..

Not if it gets past the work permit issue and allows us to loan him to a club in England that will give us a much better idea as to the standard he is actually at.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Clint said:

Not if it gets past the work permit issue and allows us to loan him to a club in England that will give us a much better idea as to the standard he is actually at.

This. 

2 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I wouldn't mind guessing that either Omotoye or Soto head out to MK Dons on loan by end of jan

That all depends i suspect if Russell Martin is still in a job.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

That all depends i suspect if Russell Martin is still in a job.

Is he in danger of getting the boot is he?

5 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Is he in danger of getting the boot is he?

15th in the table having played more games than the clubs below then might suggest so don't you think ?

I think its probably a host of small reasons combined that have driven this. The first, as someone has said, is that this window and the situation with overseas signings might be the last chance to do it this particular way. Then we would be dependent on him picking up more international caps etc, and that leaves a lot to fate. What if he gets injured and stops being selected for the USA over the next year? With the infrequency of internationals it could be almost another year before he would potentially be eligible. 

The next I think is to do with our squad and covid. It wouldn't take much for us to have an outbreak and see pukki and Hugil out for two weeks. With Idah playing next to no football and still not back and Omotoyo only playing under 23s, it would see us back in the same situation as Luton away. I think they will be happy to have another option and depth in the team, even if its as joint 4th choice,

I think the final point is that I think there is something very important about Farke actually getting to work with him in training, something scouting him at Telstar won't show. Will he be able to take on board and follow Farke's instructions? Is he coachable in that sense? How does he get on working with our creative players, does he develop a good understanding of movement and timing that would benefit us? How is his work rate and other areas of his game? How does he look training against Gibson, Hanley and Zimmerman?