Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Vrancic

Players with pace and intelligence absolutely love the sort of balls Vrancic is able to play which no other midfielder in the entire club can replicate. He's undoubtedly one of the best free kick takers we've had in ages, and he seems to score or assist almost every time he plays.

The trade-off has always been the defensive and speed parts which are both lacking compared to alternatives, yet I've always believed he offers more in balance and something we don't have rather than what we'd gain from say a Tettey or Rupp adding defensive stability.

If we're playing Hugill upfront and against sides less likely to park the bus, there's an argument to rest him and play say Rupp or Tettey as his type of balls won't necessarily be as effective in that scenario, but he's too good not to play when everyone seems to be playing 6-3-1 against us...

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

Players with pace and intelligence absolutely love the sort of balls Vrancic is able to play which no other midfielder in the entire club can replicate. He's undoubtedly one of the best free kick takers we've had in ages, and he seems to score or assist almost every time he plays.

The trade-off has always been the defensive and speed parts which are both lacking compared to alternatives, yet I've always believed he offers more in balance and something we don't have rather than what we'd gain from say a Tettey or Rupp adding defensive stability.

If we're playing Hugill upfront and against sides less likely to park the bus, there's an argument to rest him and play say Rupp or Tettey as his type of balls won't necessarily be as effective in that scenario, but he's too good not to play when everyone seems to be playing 6-3-1 against us...

To be fair we've discussed Vrancic previously and I've pointed out that actually the trade offs don't work in our favour with Vrancic because of his lack of pace and how easy he's dribbled past / defensive solidarity. 

However when we had that conversation I didnt think practically every team would suffer a nosebleed if they approached the half way like at Carrow Road. If teams continue to try and play that way, then Vrancic certainly needs more game time.

I wonder if we start playing him more, opposition teams might see that as an opportunity whereby to quickly counter and perhaps that would then cause problems.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

To be fair we've discussed Vrancic previously and I've pointed out that actually the trade offs don't work in our favour with Vrancic because of his lack of pace and how easy he's dribbled past / defensive solidarity. 

However when we had that conversation I didnt think practically every team would suffer a nosebleed if they approached the half way like at Carrow Road. If teams continue to try and play that way, then Vrancic certainly needs more game time.

I wonder if we start playing him more, opposition teams might see that as an opportunity whereby to quickly counter and perhaps that would then cause problems.

Would you sooner have Kenny fit and playing instead? 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Would you sooner have Kenny fit and playing instead? 

In some games certainly.

Have to say Vrancic once again proved how important he is to the side last night. 'Farkeball' works it's best when he plays. I love how he sits off the front 4 and always looks for the forward ball into them. When teams park the bus, the front four often hit a dead end, but they always have the option of playing back to Vrancic. This enables the play to be recycled rather than dying out, which keeps the pressure pretty relentless sometimes. The other brilliant thing Vrancic does in the above scenario is not play the easy predictable ball, but is almost always accurate with the difficult option. This makes it even harder to defend against and release the pressure. He's brilliant to watch. 

I also think Cantwell will benefit from an extended run of games with Vrancic behind him. Cantwell is a busy player, always looking to move. He'll be in the pockets an intelligent, technical player, like Vrancic can find. 

On 08/12/2020 at 20:40, hogesar said:

In some games certainly.

At this level, Kenny should never play ahead of Vrancic for me. If we need a more mobile defensive option next to Skipp, then Rupp and Sorensen would be my picks. 

23 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

At this level, Kenny should never play ahead of Vrancic for me. If we need a more mobile defensive option next to Skipp, then Rupp and Sorensen would be my picks. 

If we need a more defensive option then on form this season I would go with Rupp too. But in the immediate future with our injuries and difficult away games coming up id expect Mclean to start at least one of them.

I'd take Rupp over McLean. In fact, I'd take Rupp over Vrancic. I agree with the view that the ball back to Vrancic is always on and he will always be likely to hit the incisive ball, but with Rupp - a far more mobile player - he can also hit progressive balls. The difference between Rupp and Vrancic there is that Vrancic will split defences, whereas Rupp's passing will just keep them moving. That's the difference between regularly getting assists directly (Vrancic) or enabling someone else to get the assist (Rupp).

Vrancic is best served when the opposition sit deep. If we want him in defensive midfield otherwise, then we need a deeper midfield three rather than a two.

47 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Have to say Vrancic once again proved how important he is to the side last night.

Yep, stood off and watched while the Forest player crossed for the goal. Very nearly cost us two points.

17 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yep, stood off and watched while the Forest player crossed for the goal. Very nearly cost us two points.

It is a risk. He is immobile and has no pace. If a team counters at pace Vrancic is immediately taken out of the game which of course is a bit of a risk when he's one of your deep lying midfielders.

As he is creating the balance isnt too bad but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mclean come in for the upcoming difficult away trips.

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

It is a risk. He is immobile and has no pace. If a team counters at pace Vrancic is immediately taken out of the game which of course is a bit of a risk when he's one of your deep lying midfielders.

As he is creating the balance isnt too bad but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mclean come in for the upcoming difficult away trips.

Agree entirely Hogie, when everyone is fit (we can dream} I expect him back on the bench. I also expect him to leave in the Summer.

15 hours ago, BigFish said:

What about the goal saving tackle in the Sheffield Wed game. Possibly gained us 2 points.

Swings and roundabouts me thinks.

2 minutes ago, pearsos said:

What about the goal saving tackle in the Sheffield Wed game. Possibly gained us 2 points.

If he is playing DM that is what he should be doing all the time, not occasionally. Or rather if he was in position in the first place the saving tackle wouldn't be necessary.

3 minutes ago, pearsos said:

Good point, Mario is a series of Swings and Roundabouts. He definitely has a worthy contribution to make though, he's got magic in his boots.

All players have strengths and weaknesses but Mario is simply a lovely player to watch - he will live long in the memory!

• Like 2

Everyone will play a part this season. Its amazing to see one player such as Rupp turn round a whole fanbase, but with that being said, that can easily change, especially with some of our supporters writing off players after a couple of bad games.

It will be nice when we are back to full strength once again.

4 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Everyone will play a part this season. Its amazing to see one player such as Rupp turn round a whole fanbase, but with that being said, that can easily change, especially with some of our supporters writing off players after a couple of bad games.

It will be nice when we are back to full strength once again.

Agreed, not enough choice as to which player to crucify at the moment. Clubs a joke. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agreed, not enough choice as to which player to crucify at the moment. Clubs a joke. 

There's always Jordan Hugill. He has looked pretty turd since joining 🙂  But I will allow him one last game until I completely write him off and put him on the dartboard 

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Really wcork?

It's pretty obvious really - Emi Buendia was born on Christmas Day. 😉 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Really wcork?

It's pretty obvious really - Emi Buendia was born on Christmas Day. 😉 

I'll supply the Hammer, you fetch the nails and we'll sort that out sharpish.

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'll supply the Hammer, you fetch the nails and we'll sort that out sharpish.

But who's going to supply the cross?? (Darren Eadie or Darren Huckerby perhaps?)

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

But who's going to supply the cross?? (Darren Eadie or Darren Huckerby perhaps?)

Phil Mulryne can probably come up with the necessary pretty sharpish.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Phil Mulryne can probably come up with the necessary pretty sharpish.

God bless you my child

Always thought he was class always thought he should be one of the first names on the team sheet, easier to find some muscle to help out in midfield than to replace his match winning talent

• Like 1