Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Player recruitment post Brexit

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Fair point Ian. My point, not well portrayed, is that the EU is no less democratic than the UK and to still use a lack of democracy after all these years is a very weak argument. 

Understood, and I agree. I do think there is definitely less accountability for EU politicians to the UK voters, but given the state of UK politics in general, I am not sure this is the real problem the voter faces.

• Like 1

We are going to corner the US market - look how well our new striker is doing - others will want to follow. 

mad how Pukki wouldn't have qualified. Youd hope his bundesliga years and regular internationals might at least have got him to appeal...

I can see a lot of "amendments" over the next couple of years.

Hopefully we can tie Soto down soon though, the guy looks class!

52 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Michael Bailey has written a great article on how the changes will affect Norwich.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2236477/2020/12/10/norwich-recruitment-brexit-farke-pukki-buendia/

This is a table of which players would've reached the 15 points needed to get a work permit:

Screenshot_20201211-215533.png

Saw this yesterday, that table is a really daunting sight!

Really hard to see how our model can possible work in the long term with even tighter constraints to work between - it seems pretty evident now that promotion this season is an absolute must! 

It also seems a bit ridiculous that Pukki doesn’t qualify when he’s been voted Finish player of the year two years running, just because Finland are outside of the top 50 national rankings. You’d think there would be a wider spectrum for appeal but it seems rather rigid from that article.

And the appeal system (if a player earns 10-14 points) only runs through January so it’ll be ever tougher next summer.

Also football manager is gonna be a bit **** now too!!

1 question... if Sinani was clearly a ridiculously good player but for a weak EU nation (i.e. George Weah)... would he get a permit?

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Really hard to see how our model can possible work in the long term with even tighter constraints to work between - it seems pretty evident now that promotion this season is an absolute must! 

It also seems a bit ridiculous that Pukki doesn’t qualify when he’s been voted Finish player of the year two years running, just because Finland are outside of the top 50 national rankings. You’d think there would be a wider spectrum for appeal but it seems rather rigid from that article.

And the appeal system (if a player earns 10-14 points) only runs through January so it’ll be ever tougher next summer.

thankfully, football is fluid and we have largely done what we needed to here...

Personally, I believe our solution has us set our sights on Peterborough United in some parts...

There are 3 or 4 players they have that in my view will potentially be prem ready before long, Ricky Jade Jones, Jack Taylor, Siriki Dembele and Ronnie Edwards all on my personal radar (I am a fifa 2021 "talent scout" for them so have kept a close eye).

I'd be lobbing £5m at Ricky Jade Jones in Jan personally... watch this space...

Look at our previous with them...

Russell Martin, Ryan Bennett, Leon McKenzie, Adam Drury have all been up there as our best signings of the past generation and they pride themselves as a development club.

Edited by Tetteys Jig

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

If you look at the leagues which make up the 'bands', then it looks like any player playing regularly in band one (Europe's top five leagues) will qualify. A lot of players getting regular minutes in band two will also be very close, and that includes Argentina, Brazil and Mexico, and it's worth noting that the club have actively been ramping up their South American scouting efforts over the past year or so.

I'm probably going to be starting out with the new Football Manager shortly, but I did a save in England on the last one so will going somewhere where work permits won't bother me!

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

1 question... if Sinani was clearly a ridiculously good player but for a weak EU nation (i.e. George Weah)... would he get a permit?

Probably not, because he might stunt the development of Chris Brown and Robert Eagle.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Michael Bailey has written a great article on how the changes will affect Norwich.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2236477/2020/12/10/norwich-recruitment-brexit-farke-pukki-buendia/

Thanks - it is a very good article👍

(You should claim commission from the Athletic btw, as I have finally signed up (£1.99 offer for 6 months) - though I might cancel again when it goes up to £7.99 in 6 months time).

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks - it is a very good article👍

(You should claim commission from the Athletic btw, as I have finally signed up (£1.99 offer for 6 months) - though I might cancel again when it goes up to £7.99 in 6 months time).

And there was me thinking that my £2.50 per month offer was a good deal- everyone on here got it for less!

It is worth it though, as there is some great stuff on there.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And there was me thinking that my £2.50 per month offer was a good deal- everyone on here got it for less!

TBH, my main interest is NCFC, so I will have to see if there is enough coverage on us to make it worth it - having said that the depth and quality that I have seen on the site this morning is certainly a level higher than most football reporting!

On 12/12/2020 at 11:50, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sorry to rub it in- £1 a month 😁