BroadstairsR

The Masters.

Crowd-less and with a Winter setting this will nevertheless, for some of us at least, serve as a means to brighten up what might otherwise have been a dull week-end.

Bryson De Chambeu seems to be a clear favourite but I always feel that the odds (to win) on the fancied contenders in Majors always seem pretty frugal considering the number of lesser knowns and old boys who have often come through as winners.

Tyrell Hatton is the form Englishman at the moment and, in line with my usual patriotic betting for this event, I''ll have a few bob on him. Fleetwood too.

Each way bets on outsiders (those over 100-1) can usually be a successful outlay and in this respect I'll be unpatriotic and have something on the Frenchman Perez.

Lee Westwood was beginning to show a bit of the old form in biggish events pre-pandemic. He's never won a major so my intended bet on him (ew) as another one of the oldies to resurrect themselves and win might be pushing the patriotism too far, especially as there's always Tiger Woods to worry about.

SkyBet are paying each way for the first eleven places (1/5th. odds) so splashing out on a number of relative unknowns with long odds might be profitable.

Edit: Sorry meant to put this in the non-football. Thought that I had, but not to be seen there and it pops up here. Golf haters need not react.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Crowd-less and with a Winter setting this will nevertheless, for some of us at least, serve as a means to brighten up what might otherwise have been a dull week-end.

Bryson Chambreu seems to be a clear favourite but I always feel that the odds (to win) on the fancied contenders in Majors always seem pretty frugal considering the number of lesser knowns and old boys who have often come through as winners.

Tyrell Hatton is the form Englishman at the moment and, in line with my usual patriotic betting for this event, I''ll have a few bob on him. Fleetwood too.

Each way bets on outsiders (those over 100-1) can usually be a successful outlay and in this respect I'll be unpatriotic and have something on the Frenchman Perez.

Lee Westwood was beginning to show a bit of the old form in biggish events pre-pandemic. He's never won a major so my intended bet on him (ew) as another one of the oldies to resurrect themselves and win might be pushing the patriotism too far, especially as there's always Tiger Woods to worry about.

SkyBet are paying each way for the first eleven places (1/5th. odds) so splashing out on a number of relative unknowns with long odds might be profitable.

De Chambeau is a breath of fresh air. The criticism he faces is pure jealousy. A golf hole is given a par rating and the object is to beat that rating. How you do it is irrelevant.

Having said that, De Chambeau has never come to terms with Augustas greens.  So the course has some defence against him.

As you say, the favourites at Augusta are under pressure and do not always handle it.

However, I would never bet against McIlroy if his putter is hot. And he needs a Green Jacket to complete a major grand slam.

32 minutes ago, South Sider said:

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/forum/13-non-football/

Just in case you didn't know where it is

It's hardly difficult to miss at any time,  but slip ups often happen. Even massively upsetting ones like that.

Thanks anyhow 🙄

SDP can move it if he sees fit. I wouldn't object.

Edited by BroadstairsR

23 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

De Chambeau is a breath of fresh air. The criticism he faces is pure jealousy. A golf hole is given a par rating and the object is to beat that rating. How you do it is irrelevant.

Having said that, De Chambeau has never come to terms with Augustas greens.  So the course has some defence against him.

As you say, the favourites at Augusta are under pressure and do not always handle it.

However, I would never bet against McIlroy if his putter is hot. And he needs a Green Jacket to complete a major grand slam.

I don't really know much about De Chambeu as my original spelling of his name (De Chambreu) showed except that he's been around for a while and subsequently romped the U.S. Open, has unusual golf clubs and is probably not a Casanova type character.

The odds on him do not really justify a punt, imo.

McIlroy is always likely to excite interest in a Major and you should never really rule him out in his attempts at gaining the full set, despite being inconsistent of late.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Come on Rory!  I've risked £2 of the Dylan fortune 🤑

Having just witnessed Jon Rahm pebble skim the ball across water and hole it, in what must be one of the most amazing shots ever, perhaps he is the man to back.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Each to his own. Millions enjoy golf, despite being bored.

Enjoyment.

What's wrong with that?

Besides "bored" should be a word confined to the under twelves and truculent teenagers.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Oh. Frankie Boyle no less.

That's it then.

Debate closed.

(They do say that Tramadol in excess can be a dangerous drug.)

Golf. The best way to spoil a good walk.

Winston Churchill said that.

Disclaimer: He didn't, but it's a funny line from Lock Stock nonetheless. 

Edited by Flying Dutchman

38 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Golf is the ante chamber  of death.

Frankie Boyle.

I seem to remember Mr. Cork that you have recently touted your enjoyment of fishing on this forum. 

Now many would decry that pastime as being the epitome of tediousness, but not me. It was from a Brummie fisherman in Birmingham that I actually leaned my lesson in the tolerance of the pursuits of others, many years ago now.

I used to regularly walk my dog at 6am in Ward End park, come rain or shine. I enjoyed it as much as the dog.

This park had an artificial lake and the council stocked it regularly with fish for the benefit of the local anglers.

I regularly passed the horde of keen anglers set beside this lake and always exchanged greetings with some.

One extra cold Midlands morning, with frost enshrouding the bare trees  and patches of ice covering the still water, there they were in their green camouflaged attire  huddled up beside the lake hoping for a catch.

I light heartedly commented that, "I couldn't for the life of me see what enjoyment they got from just sitting there fishing on such a cold, cold morning."

"And I can't see what fun you get out of walking a f-cking dog around a park  on day's like this either." came the instant reply, all the more telling by being expressed in that lovely broad Brummie accent.

Lesson learned.

Edited by BroadstairsR

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh. Frankie Boyle no less.

That's it then.

Debate closed.

(They do say that Tramadol in excess can be a dangerous drug.)

Frankie Boyle mocks children with Down’s  Syndrome. Enough said. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

35 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Frankie Boyle mocks children with Down’s  Syndrome. Enough said. 

I have a 42 year old nephew with Downs Syndrome, he thinks Frankie Boyle is funny. He understands that not all humour is to all tastes, he's got Downs, he's not unintelligent ffs!! Personally I dont find all of his stuff that amusing and his latest series was, to say the least, a let down. The Golf comment made me laugh, no biggie, couldnt care less about Golf myself, its a non issue to me. Really  didnt mean to upset the Salmon Pink Chino Brigade. I even have some Golf shoes.....I use them for working on sloped ground, theyre grrrreeeaaattt.

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Golf. The best way to spoil a good walk.

Winston Churchill said that.

Disclaimer: He didn't, but it's a funny line from Lock Stock nonetheless. 

Nancy Astor to Churchill - if you were my husband I would poison your coffee 

Churchill - if you were my wife I'd drink it

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

This is amazing 😁

Truly.

How much intent was involved? That's the question

He seems to have deliberately attempted the water skimming as you can tell from his club's angle. A chip over the water would be easy for a pro in any case.

The rest was probably Tiger-style good fortune as his aim was probably just to get it as near the flag as is possible.

"Really  didnt mean to upset the Salmon Pink Chino Brigade. I even have some Golf shoes.....I use them for working on sloped ground, theyre grrrreeeaaattt."

You just did.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I do wear a rouge pink sweater when it's chilly.  It matches my tartan patterned plus fours and, on cold days, my nose.

I wore them last time out when I had a bad day's play and only hit two good balls. That was when I stepped on a bunker rake.

38 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

No salmon pink here

FC2029F1-F87D-4591-BB18-91F7C1C6A515.jpeg

Looks like a Dutch footy fan. Hup Oranje!!!

Love the  Bearskin earmuffs !!!!

Edited by wcorkcanary

59 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

No salmon pink here

FC2029F1-F87D-4591-BB18-91F7C1C6A515.jpeg

That's Rikki Fowler who always wears orange for his last round of a Major out of respect for a former tutor, or something. I do not have the details, but sentiment is involved.

Interestingly, when the 148th. Open was held in Port Rush (NI) in 2019 he was prohibited from wearing the colour. For obvious reasons.

He's  changed a bit since his Eastenders  days then. Out of interest , anybody know if the Dutch national footy team wear Orange when they play NI ? 

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Having just witnessed Jon Rahm pebble skim the ball across water and hole it, in what must be one of the most amazing shots ever, perhaps he is the man to back.

That shot was utterly ridiculous, Broadstairs!