Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Do we know if York or Shrewsbury get any money from Godfreys sale?

The 25 million for Godfrey was looking like a decent price for us until I found out Rhian Brewster is going to sheffield utd for 23 million, having played about 20 games in his career, almost all at championship level. 

Admittedly, I know very little about Brewster, but how Liverpool manage to get so much for their youngsters - and more strangely - why people are willing to pay it, baffles me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orly said:

The 25 million for Godfrey was looking like a decent price for us until I found out Rhian Brewster is going to sheffield utd for 23 million, having played about 20 games in his career, almost all at championship level. 

Admittedly, I know very little about Brewster, but how Liverpool manage to get so much for their youngsters - and more strangely - why people are willing to pay it, baffles me.

Probably for the same reason people buy Nike products.............

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

Yet have the audacity to think we’re too pricey when we turn down an £8mil bid for a highly rated full international player with a season of premier league football under his belt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

York apparently get 10% of any profit, which should be just shy of £2.5m.

If my understanding of the rules is correct, Shrewsbury won't get anything, but they would've received training compensation had Godfrey moved abroad. I think.

Why is that re Shrewsbury - wasn’t he just on loan there? (No idea what the rules say so genuine question!)

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

Why is that re Shrewsbury - wasn’t he just on loan there? (No idea what the rules say so genuine question!)

It's a very complicated rule, but I think it goes like this:

FIFA solidarity payments have to be paid on international transfers. The selling club has to pay a small percentage of the fee to any club who had the player between the ages of 12-21 on a pro-rata basis as 'training compensation', and I believe loan spells count, so Shrewsbury would have been entitled to a small percentage of the small percentage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

FIFA solidarity payments have to be paid on international transfers. The selling club has to pay a small percentage of the fee to any club who had the player between the ages of 12-21 on a pro-rata basis as 'training compensation', and I believe loan spells count, so Shrewsbury would have been entitled to a small percentage of the small percentage.

If that’s the case, let’s hope Man Utd spend £175mil on Harry Kane then 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If that’s the case, let’s hope Man Utd spend £175mil on Harry Kane then 😉

Trouble is, last time I looked , London, Manchester and Norwich  were all in the same country.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Orly said:

In other Liverpool news, they won't let Harry Wilson go on loan again. Either they sell him or he stays. I can't believe a team are holding back a young player's career by holding out (cos he won't get in their 1st team) for a price........

34 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So, if we sell EMI for Zillions, then Athletico and Getafe get a few quid .

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

And I’m guessing Real Madrid as he’s a product of their academy?

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Does it happen every time a player is transferred then? Surely they already got their compensation when we bought him from Getafe? Or not, idk tbh...

Edited by Darth Vadis

31 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Does it happen every time a player is transferred then? Surely they already got their compensation when we bought him from Getafe? Or not, idk tbh...

Nor me, for sure.  thought Emi came through Athleticos academy....shows what I know.

36 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

And I’m guessing Real Madrid as he’s a product of their academy?

M bad, thought it was Athleticos.

57 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Potentially yes I think it does go on for ever on any international transfer....makes sense I suppose. You say they got their cut, but I suppose the argument is a player isn’t going to reach their peak until the age of say 25/26, but if they hadn’t been trained by the initial club, they might not have turned out as good (or as valuable) as they did at 26. 

Does look really complicated but as far as I can tell you’ve got “training compensation” which is only payable on international transfers until the player’s 23rd birthday  (or when they sign their first professional contract). This may also be payable even if the player moves to a foreign country when out of contract - as long as they are under 23.

You’ve then got “solidarity payments” which continue to be payable after their 23rd birthday but only apply to an international transfer where a few is paid (ie not free transfer after contract expires) . 

The amount of training compensation looks far too difficult for me to bother thinking about too much on a Friday evening - basically looks like it’s based on how much the club who trained the player would have spent in training him. So if a player signs a professional contract with Club A aged 19 but had trained with Club B for two years aged 15-17, then you look at what club A spend on training costs when he signs his professional contract. Say that Club A spent 100k a year on training him in that year he signed the contract. You then give Club B the equivalent of two years in training costs (200k). (100k a year is probably extremely high but used because it’s easy maths!)

Solidarity payments are In total 5 percent of the transfer fee. That 5 per cent is then broken down for every year training between the age of 12 and 23. Each year from 12-15 is five percent of the five per cent (ie 0.25 per cent of the transfer fee) and each year above that is the per cent of the five per cent (ie; 0.5 per cent of the transfer fee). So if you sold a 22 year old player to a foreign side for 10mil and he had trained at Club A for a year aged 15, club A would get 0.25 per cent of that - 25k. 

First link a pretty good overview of the payments. Second link annex 4 and 5 show how the figures are calculated.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/item/a-guide-to-training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments-in-football

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-on-the-status-and-transfer-of-players-2018-2925437.pdf?cloudid=c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g

Edited by Aggy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orly said:

It's incredible isn't it. They are very good at selling. They even have an option to buy back in the next 3 years for £30m. Just in case he improves. 

All further complicated by different rules for transfers wholly within the EU - such as the immediate selling club having to actually have offered a contract before they are entitled to compensation (but any earlier club still being entitled to it).

One of the articles suggests league 2 and conference clubs might be entitled to about 400k between them on average in training compensation each year, but it often doesn’t get paid. And with how complicated it is I’m not surprised most don’t spend the lawyer’s fees pursuing it!

42 minutes ago, Aggy said:

All further complicated by different rules for transfers wholly within the EU - such as the immediate selling club having to actually have offered a contract before they are entitled to compensation (but any earlier club still being entitled to it).

One of the articles suggests league 2 and conference clubs might be entitled to about 400k between them on average in training compensation each year, but it often doesn’t get paid. And with how complicated it is I’m not surprised most don’t spend the lawyer’s fees pursuing it!

If made enforceable , it would be a good way to ensure trickle down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Potentially yes I think it does go on for ever on any international transfer....makes sense I suppose. You say they got their cut, but I suppose the argument is a player isn’t going to reach their peak until the age of say 25/26, but if they hadn’t been trained by the initial club, they might not have turned out as good (or as valuable) as they did at 26. 

Does look really complicated but as far as I can tell you’ve got “training compensation” which is only payable on international transfers until the player’s 23rd birthday  (or when they sign their first professional contract). This may also be payable even if the player moves to a foreign country when out of contract - as long as they are under 23.

You’ve then got “solidarity payments” which continue to be payable after their 23rd birthday but only apply to an international transfer where a few is paid (ie not free transfer after contract expires) . 

The amount of training compensation looks far too difficult for me to bother thinking about too much on a Friday evening - basically looks like it’s based on how much the club who trained the player would have spent in training him. So if a player signs a professional contract with Club A aged 19 but had trained with Club B for two years aged 15-17, then you look at what club A spend on training costs when he signs his professional contract. Say that Club A spent 100k a year on training him in that year he signed the contract. You then give Club B the equivalent of two years in training costs (200k). (100k a year is probably extremely high but used because it’s easy maths!)

Solidarity payments are In total 5 percent of the transfer fee. That 5 per cent is then broken down for every year training between the age of 12 and 23. Each year from 12-15 is five percent of the five per cent (ie 0.25 per cent of the transfer fee) and each year above that is the per cent of the five per cent (ie; 0.5 per cent of the transfer fee). So if you sold a 22 year old player to a foreign side for 10mil and he had trained at Club A for a year aged 15, club A would get 0.25 per cent of that - 25k. 

First link a pretty good overview of the payments. Second link annex 4 and 5 show how the figures are calculated.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/item/a-guide-to-training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments-in-football

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-on-the-status-and-transfer-of-players-2018-2925437.pdf?cloudid=c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g

Christ, like you say it sounds too complicated to even bother keeping track!

30 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Christ, like you say it sounds too complicated to even bother keeping track!

But it’s very worth the effort of a small club keeping tabs on kids’ progress and remembering who played there and when. When Fraser Forster moved back to ‘this country’ from Scotland, signing for Southampton from Celtic, a village club  in the rural Tyne Valley where he played as a young 'un got enough to put in their new five or seven-aside all weather pitch (though maybes not the full cost, they likely had grant aid and something in club funds for it too of course, but it made the difference). Have an idea another club got a cut too.

To be fair, if idah bags at least 10 goals this season for us, he's instantly a multi million pound player. Strikers fetch premium fees all over the shop