A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

On 05/05/2024 at 11:25, Creative Midfielder said:

To be fair to Sunak (although I can't think of a single reason why we should be!) who on the earth is there amongst the remaining Tory MPs that would be worth giving a chance to?

I certainly can't think of anyone and it seems pretty obvious now that neither can the Tories themselves 😂😂

Any chance of Cameron doing a “Douglas-Home”?

15 hours ago, Herman said:

They're trying the coalition of chaos nonsense again. The greatest hits of tory dusted down. 

Starmer supported Corbyn, coming to the Daily Mail front page soon. Corbyn will be coming back after the election. Honestly.... 

• Haha 1

Interesting, if not surprising to see some Tories trying to make voting even more difficult.

I can't think of any good reason to get rid of postal votes.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting, if not surprising to see some Tories trying to make voting even more difficult.

I'm actually far more opposed to postal votes in the current form as opposed to the usual in person or perhaps electronic. They are far more open to fraud or impersonation (that was Trumps claim!). I also think that being able to vote 'on-line' is at least some hurdle to ensure people are in some manner, even with help, in the 'modern' world. 

Also, voting has really to take place for all 'on the day' not days or weeks earlier (things/events change) else not all votes are equal (i.e you could target the OAPs early and then swap to the younger working cohorts nearer the day - even changing or announcing new policy -  end of triple lock etc 😉

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

I'm actually far more opposed to postal votes in the current form as opposed to the usual in person or perhaps electronic. They are far more open to fraud or impersonation (that was Trumps claim!). I also think that being able to vote 'on-line' is at least some hurdle to ensure people are in some manner, even with help, in the 'modern' world. 

Also, voting has really to take place for all 'on the day' not days or weeks earlier (things/events change) else not all votes are equal (i.e you could target the OAPs early and then swap to the younger working cohorts nearer the day - even changing or announcing new policy -  end of triple lock etc 😉

But the fact is the problem with fraud is so vanishingly small that the disenfranchisement of so many people is entriely unreasonable.

I'd have more time for MP's suggesting we need to look at ways to improve postal voting to make it more efficient. But just getting rid is nonsense of the highest order. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, king canary said:

But the fact is the problem with fraud is so vanishingly small that the disenfranchisement of so many people is entriely unreasonable.

I'd have more time for MP's suggesting we need to look at ways to improve postal voting to make it more efficient. But just getting rid is nonsense of the highest order. 

I'd agree voting fraud is actually small - and the disenfranchisement or loss of interest with the  'can't be bothered' crowd attitude is a far more insidious threat. That said we should make nearly all recognized photographic forms of ID acceptable not just a selected few.

However - all votes should be cast on the same day and no other. It's why we have no published polls 'on the day'.

Edited by Yellow Fever

23 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

To be fair, not all disabilities are visible Herman.

That is a very fair point. 👍

(There is probably a lot of people that would like to make his more visible though.)

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

That is a very fair point. 👍

(There is probably a lot of people that would like to make his more visible though.)

Sorry, can't answer that, the Stasi prohibit it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Aggy said:

Slightly disappointed to see the new ‘not relevant, start a new thread’ stock response. I’d have put money on ‘immigrants park in disabled spaces too’.

Why bother with threads at all? Why not just have one big thread for absolutely everything and just throw in anything that happens to cross our mind? Let's give it a go.

Have you watched the 3 body problem? What do you think of it?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Have you watched the 3 body problem? What do you think of it?

No, the second question is irrelevant as I haven't seen it.

You should start a thread for people who haven't seen TV programmes.

• Haha 1

I have a horrible habit of missing the good PMQs. A very poor performance from Sunk by all accounts. 

I'm not sure about Elphick switching sides. I'm not one of those who thinks it is wrong for Labour to try and win over Tory voters but Elphicke has a pretty grim record. I know she's not standing at the next election but the symbolic victory of her switching sides is somewhat undermined by how it makes Labour look so comfortable with having her.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I have a horrible habit of missing the good PMQs. A very poor performance from Sunk by all accounts. 

It doesn't matter how much you pay for an education, you can't increase a pupil's IQ and you can't train them to think on their feet. 

Every time I listen to Sunak I come to the conclusion that his parents p****d £500k up the wall. He's what you get if you spend an eye watering amount educating a very ordinary person. 

Posted (edited)

Elphicke is slightly to the right of Gengis Khan. 

Odd that she feels more comfortable with Labour.

And even odder that they have accepted her.

Diane Abott, take note.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Elphicke is slightly to the right of Gengis Khan. 

Odd that she feels more comfortable with Labour.

Really really surprising one. And she made a big statement that Labour released just before PMQs on the Conservatives not doing enough to protect borders, which is going to put an expectation on Labour to get on top of the small boats problem.

She laid into Marcus Rashford quite harshly over the school dinners thing. She's standing down at the next election anyway so I'm both surprised she wanted to and surprised Labour wanted her.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Who's going to defect next week ? 

Rees Moggy??

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

Rees Moggy??

Moggy would have to pay tax so I don't see that happening 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Really really surprising one. And she made a big statement that Labour released just before PMQs on the Conservatives not doing enough to protect borders, which is going to put an expectation on Labour to get on top of the small boats problem.

She laid into Marcus Rashford quite harshly over the school dinners thing. She's standing down at the next election anyway so I'm both surprised she wanted to and surprised Labour wanted her.

Yeah I'm not sure, from a Labour POV, the optics of a defection overcome the optics of having someone with Elhphicke's opinions in the party, especially after her 'vigorous' deference of her sex offender husband. 

Dan Poulter made sense- a one nation Tory, anti Brexit, works in the NHS, spoke about needing to give nurses a payrise. He's almost a template of the kind of Tory Labour needs to appeal to. Elphicke really isn't.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 13:20, king canary said:

Look up "Ballot Harvesting".

Although reported electoral fraud is low in the UK, look up "Ballot Chasing" and "Ballot Harvesting". Essentially this is not illegal in the UK, but allows policital parties with alot of capital to employ people in densely populated areas to chase the postal votes, and "harvest" ballots in places such as tower blocks and council estates to artifically boost the vote for a candidate.

Many will say that this does not happen or does not make a difference, but many European countries have completely banned postal voting for this very reason, including France, Portugal and Netherlands. Many others will only allow postal/proxy votes under very exceptional circumstances.

As for online or electronic voting, again this should be resisted at all costs, as it opens elections up to interference / cyber attacks. The Electoral Commision stated that despite its flaws, an analogue paper system is by far the safest system as it is much harder to foreign sabotage. 

Edited by TheRock
spelling

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I'm not sure, from a Labour POV, the optics of a defection overcome the optics of having someone with Elhphicke's opinions in the party, especially after her 'vigorous' deference of her sex offender husband. 

Agreed, this is quite strange really, but not surprising.

It will be interesting to see if any others follow suit now that two have jumped ship in as many weeks.

Elphicke's greatest hit. The quick realisation that the chant is aimed at her is a joy.

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2024 at 18:37, littleyellowbirdie said:

How is this relevant to the thread?

The thread is about who will be the new Tory Leader,and many Tories want Farage as the next leader. ?

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Rees Moggy??

When the woman defected today, Moggy apparently said, what’s going on here she’s more right wing than me.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The thread is about who will be the new Tory Leader,and many Tories want Farage as the next leader. ?

Be serious. He's not even in the conservative party.

Don't worry about it. Freeform threads are apparently the way forward. If you can't beat em, join em.

What did you think of the last series of bake off? Some of those final cakes looked amazing.