A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Isn't he the one who brought the rail network to a standstill? Known as Failing Grayling even in his own party. 

There are now more than 40 Conservatives standing down at the next election, which is a record for any party. It would appear that the Stand and Fight speech didn't work. 

The way things are looking, about 200 Tory MPs will be standing down at the next election!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The way things are looking, about 200 Tory MPs will be standing down at the next election!

To be replaced by Starmer's Tories.

• Like 1

About a month ago I saw somewhere a list of Conservative MPs who won't be standing at the next General Election. The list was published as the number had reached 50 so Grayling is number 51 at least.

On 28/09/2023 at 13:29, Herman said:

Yes Barbe, the bad guys in all of this is JSO. 

I see sense is beginning to prevail 

BBC News - Dale Vince: Major Labour donor to stop funding Just Stop Oil
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67031062

When your biggest donor and its truest believer begins to say that this is not the way to do things the footsoldiers really need to stop and think- are they doing what they do for the cause, or for themselves.

JSO are still not the bad guys in all this, although I felt attacking Les Mis was a stupid tactic.

But Dale Vince was very good in his interview last night and made perfect sense. The tories (the bad guys in all this) will we using the serious threat of climate change as a very unserious culture war, wedge issue. New tactics are needed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be replaced by Starmer's Tories.

I get that they’re not as progressive as maybe you would like, but to suggest there will be no difference if/when Labour win is ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herman said:

JSO are still not the bad guys in all this, although I felt attacking Les Mis was a stupid tactic.

But Dale Vince was very good in his interview last night and made perfect sense. The tories (the bad guys in all this) will we using the serious threat of climate change as a very unserious culture war, wedge issue. New tactics are needed.

Which is exactly what I have been saying for ages. JSO was all wrong, too white, too middle aged and too middle class. 

JSO was counter productive years ago.  I think the culture wars thing is valid but the tories were preaching to the converted 

Environmentalism needs to become mainstream again.  It shouldn't be associated with any tribe and anyone that is known to be in a particular tribe really needs to think before they open their mouth. 

They've only been around for a year and a half. The other option is for the government to stop being such *** and take what is happening seriously, rather than playing childish silly beggars, and then organisations like JSO won't need to go for the extreme tactics.

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I see sense is beginning to prevail 

BBC News - Dale Vince: Major Labour donor to stop funding Just Stop Oil
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67031062

When your biggest donor and its truest believer begins to say that this is not the way to do things the footsoldiers really need to stop and think- are they doing what they do for the cause, or for themselves.

He absolutely did not say that 'this is not the way to do things' and quite clearly said that he had no problem with JSO's tactics.

But what he also said was that he viewed the next election as crucial and wanted to focus entirely on ensuring the Tories are defeated - seems to me that he was spot on on both counts.

49 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

He absolutely did not say that 'this is not the way to do things' and quite clearly said that he had no problem with JSO's tactics.

But what he also said was that he viewed the next election as crucial and wanted to focus entirely on ensuring the Tories are defeated - seems to me that he was spot on on both counts.

Literally the first papragraph of that report says that he withdrew funding and that he went on record as saying further protest would be "counterproductive".   

As I said to Herman weeks ago it's not the JSO are bad people or that their cause is the wrong one but they might just be the worst possible salesforce. 

When the world needed something to continue taking the CO2 nail out, JSO are like a massive hammer that smacks it right back in again. And all because the workers were too blinkered to realise that they needed to use the claw bit of the tool

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Like 1

The original interview was in the Guardian, it's probably better to quote from there instead of the BBC.

The best way to stop oil is to stop the Tories.

Makes much more sense that just quoting one word out of context, that's dishonest.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/06/green-energy-magnate-dale-vince-to-switch-support-from-just-stop-oil-to-labour

He said that even though he was still “comfortable with their methods”, Just Stop Oil’s tactics had not worked fast enough and it was time for a new strategy.

“The next general election is the most important of our lifetimes,” he wrote in the Guardian.

“And what the Tories will do if they get another stretch in power is crystal clear: abandon net zero, open new coalmines and oilfields, and continue presiding over spiralling living costs. And so today I announced a change of direction: I am no longer going to fund Just Stop Oil. Under the current government, protest cannot work. I would go so far as to say that anything that could feed the Tories’ culture-war narrative is counter-productive.

“The dividing lines have been drawn: Labour is green, the Tories are not. A vote for anyone other than Labour, or no vote at all, is a vote for another Tory government – this time with a mandate to pursue its anti-green crusade. Preventing that from happening is the only way to ‘just stop oil’.”

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Darth Sunak.

Screenshot_20231007_235549_X.jpg

He's not that good an actor maybe on par with Hayden Christenen.

10 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Darth Sunak.

Screenshot_20231007_235549_X.jpg

Is this for real???

I had a quick go at getting AI to create what it made me think of.

IMG_0063.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The original interview was in the Guardian, it's probably better to quote from there instead of the BBC.

The best way to stop oil is to stop the Tories.

Makes much more sense that just quoting one word out of context, that's dishonest.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/06/green-energy-magnate-dale-vince-to-switch-support-from-just-stop-oil-to-labour

You can wrap it up anyway you want but when you strip out the rhetoric and boil it all down dale vince withdrew funding  to the group because he felt their actions were counter productive. He is right. 

You are free to look back at my previous posts to see that I am a keen environmentalist and that I see achieving net zero as the single most Important endevour since we started walking upright on the plains but I see this goal getting further away if we all continue to make this a tribal issue.  

Environmentalism should be labelled as 'left' or 'right' , it shouldn't become  associated solely with demagogues on twitter, and we must resist anything that reinforces the hugely unhelpful view that co2 is a concern only of small wailing and middle class groups

Edited by Barbe bleu

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

You can wrap it up anyway you want but when you strip out the rhetoric and boil it all down dale vince withdrew funding  to the group because he felt their actions were counter productive. He is right. 

You have a habit of ignoring the facts and just typing any old b0ll0x.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

And that illustrates the problem completely.   You're angry and objectionable and you put people off the cause you claim to care about because you value being big dog on a regional football forum over actually achieving something tangible.

Go on,  type "you're stupid".  That will probably convince thousands to give up their cars and insulate their lofts.

Edited by Barbe bleu

37 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

And that illustrates the problem completely.   You're angry and objectionable and you put people off the cause you claim to care about because you value being big dog on a regional football forum over actually achieving something tangible.

Go on,  type "you're stupid".  That will probably convince thousands to give up their cars and insulate their lofts.

Time for an Elton John Tory party top five.

I'm not standing

Tiny Prime Minister

Every nights alright for infighting.

Tory seems to be the hardest vote.

Are you ready for opposition

• Haha 2

The Tories getting involved in supplying protective clothing? After last time? With their reputation? Guns, helmets, body armour and ammunition contracts VIP lane being set up as we speak.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Tories getting involved in supplying protective clothing? After last time? With their reputation? Guns, helmets, body armour and ammunition contracts VIP lane being set up as we speak.

We can't send anything else, Ukraine has it. Isn't it wonderful that we still want to be so important. It has nothing to do with humanity, its all about the old Empirical attitudes of our Government.

• Like 2

Well that latest Yougov poll doesn't make for pretty reading for the Government- Labour with a 23 point lead over the Tories. Feels like an outlier but the general trend is Labour with somewhere between a 15-20pt lead, with SNP vote also falling.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well that latest Yougov poll doesn't make for pretty reading for the Government- Labour with a 23 point lead over the Tories. Feels like an outlier but the general trend is Labour with somewhere between a 15-20pt lead, with SNP vote also falling.

Every SNP-held seat Labour win is one less Tory seat needed. (If that isn’t stating the obvious.)

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

When I speak to people its more that they despise the Tories than want Labour.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Personally, I don't really care whether they are anti Tory or pro Labour, as long as they vote Labour.

Once in power I'm hopeful Starmer and co can start showing people why they are different and why they deserve a long spell in office. Right now taking advantage of a deeply unpopular government is what matters.

• Like 1

He may completely mess it up, but it’s time for change. If he does completely mess it up we haven’t lost anything as it’s already completely messed up.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

The one mission we all have, left, centre, liberal and small c conservative is to get rid of this government before they turn this country into another Hungary or worse. We'll have to sort out our differences once they've gone and gone for good. 

• Like 2

It seems from the Covid enquiry today, that at one point Carrie was doing the job of PM making the decisions. And there I was complaining I didn’t vote for Sunak and Truss.

• Haha 1