A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

The fact that hobbyists on the Internet produce better material for free than the 6-figure renumerated morons deemed "experts" by Starmer says all you need to know.

It's getting increasingly harder to vote for these morons. The Greens are a bit dense here in Norwich North, but they're starting to feel a more feasible vote than Starmer's Labour. And I was a member who voted this chump. But then I can't feel bad about that as everything he pledged in the leadership election was good policy. Should I have been able to foresee that it was all deceit and lies?

16 hours ago, Herman said:

Although I always find it amusing that tories getting their knickers in a twist these ads do smell a bit. Shouldn't be lowering themselves to Bravermann levels.

They should just concentrate on positive messages and what THEY are going to do. Not do what the Tories and whatever Saatchi (et al) have done before. Politics is becoming more 'fighting fire with fire' nowadays. I expect they've been advised that it works. That you have to hammer people over the heads. Those that don't watch the news. Some people don't connect governments with what's around them. I mean, with sewage pouring into the rivers and seas  (and all those Tory MPs who voted for water companies), that should be enough alone. But what do I really know.

I'm with Benchwarmer, my vote will go with my conscience (and that will be green in my case). Not that I don't hope that if Labour get in they will reverse a lot of what the current lot have done. I will be quietly willing them on.

Still would like to know more about Labour's policies.

• Like 2

Labour knows that unless they can get Scotland back, a really convincing win is not likely.  At least I hope they do.  They'll be loving the SNP meltdown, but can they capitalise? 

Scotland voted Remain.  Just saying.

Edited by benchwarmer

8 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Labour knows that unless they can get Scotland back, a really convincing win is not likely.  At least I hope they do.  They will be loving the SNP meltdown, but can they capitalise? 

Scotland voted Remain.  Just saying.

62% of Scots voted remain in a uk-wide vote. Then you point out that SNP voters were the least likely to vote remain in Scotland. Then you point out that Labour's a UK party that can't radically alter its message according to who it's talking to without confusing its messaging. Then you remember that most people are sick to death of people banging on about Brexit and you realise it's not quite as simple as Labour suddenly going all remainy post-Brexit.

Labour and tory are so close to each other that it really matters not. Same sh2t, different label

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

62% of Scots voted remain in a uk-wide vote. Then you point out that SNP voters were the least likely to vote remain in Scotland. Then you point out that Labour's a UK party that can't radically alter its message according to who it's talking to without confusing its messaging. Then you remember that most people are sick to death of people banging on about Brexit and you realise it's not quite as simple as Labour suddenly going all remainy post-Brexit.

According to the British Election Survey (Oct 2016), SNP voters at the 2015 GE were the most likely of the three largest parties in Scotland to vote Remain, as follows:

SNP 74%

Lab 72%

Con 44%

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

According to the British Election Survey (Oct 2016), SNP voters at the 2015 GE were the most likely of the three largest parties in Scotland to vote Remain, as follows:

SNP 74%

Lab 72%

Con 44%

I definitely saw a source some time back that claimed the opposite. I have a feeling it was in the Times, but I'll have a look when I have some time. 

Starmer standing with that ad.

****ing mug. Another typical political specimen. Feather that nest your narcissistic ****.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Herman said:

Saatchi is upset with the ads so I am now warming to the tactics. 

Wonder who is behind the Tories campaigning like this though? Our local Green Party literature is almost the same! There are nearly 200 Tory MPs that have not even mentioned they belong to the Tory party. Assume some bright spark came up with the idea to try and fool (some) people. 

Imagine being so ashamed of what you stand for that you cannot even promote it....or...deviousness? And wanting people to 'buy' your product. I cannot think of any other reason or motivation for this change in campaigning than a kind of deviousness. Is it 13 years too long? Is it Brexit association? Or pollution? 

Anyway, Carol Vorderman... raising my hat to her continued calling out of this lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cannot fathom the pearl clutching over these ads.

I don't think they are great but seeing people like Tobias Ellwood lamenting negative campagining as if this isn't something the Tory party has driven for years just gets a massive eye roll from me. 

A good summation of how I feel here...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think they are great but seeing people like Tobias Ellwood lamenting negative campagining as if this isn't something the Tory party has driven for years just gets a massive eye roll from me. 

Too true. This is politics, not a debating society. Starmer has (or has) a mountain to climb to overturn Labour's worst electoral defeat since the thirties. To do that he needs to make Labour as small a target as possible for the Mail, Express, Torygraph, GBeebies and TalkTV in order to get voters who voted Conservative in 2019 to vote Labour. There are no votes in laying out your policies now so they can be misrepresented or stolen. Most people arn't interested in politics. A third don't vote at all, many have fixed opinions either way but elections are often won by voters making their minds up in the last six weeks of a campaign. They won't remember the furore over these ads, but it might remind them of how this country has been governed over the last 13 years and which Party is responsible.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm with you on this one.

They aren't my 'cup of tea' or frankly anybodies who looks beyond the red-top headlines BUT.

They are targeted at those that only look superficially at things - you know the £350M/week, 80M Turks etc. 

Providing they don't cross the line into lies as per the examples above then fine. Fight fire with fire and don't be too high-brow. The Tories learnt that lesson decade ago remember and a they say pay-back is a  *****.

Sadly, anyone who votes Green in the next general election is just making it easier for the Tories to get back in. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sadly, anyone who votes Green in the next general election is just making it easier for the Tories to get back in. 

That's the way it should be until Labour formally gets behind electoral reform like any genuinely progressive party should be.

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yep, and it's why, despite my natural proclivities pushing me more towards the LibDems, I'm not going for them.

Only thing that matters is getting this set of imbeciles, cretins and shysters OUT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm with you on this one.

They aren't my 'cup of tea' or frankly anybodies who looks beyond the red-top headlines BUT.

They are targeted at those that only look superficially at things - you know the £350M/week, 80M Turks etc. 

Providing they don't cross the line into lies as per the examples above then fine. Fight fire with fire and don't be too high-brow. The Tories learnt that lesson decade ago remember and a they say pay-back is a  *****.

It has been a good week for reminding myself how out of touch a lot of twitter commentators are on this sort of thing too.

See the reaction to Labour unveilng a policy designed to help crack down on scam phone calls. Loads of wailing from people who love to call Starmer 'Keith' that this isn't a priority ignoring two major things...

1. A political party can tackle more than one issue at a time
  2. Just because something isn't an issue to you doesn't mean it isn't to other people.

Far too many people who are political on social media are massively detached from how most people consume their political news, generate their opinions and decide their priorities. 

For many people bin collections trump things like transgender rights or Israel/Palestine but you wouldn't know it from a lot of online political discussion, especially on the left. 

Edited by king canary
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

It has been a good week for reminding myself how out of touch a lot of twitter commentators are on this sort of thing too.

See the reaction to Labour unveilng a policy designed to help crack down on scam phone calls. Loads of wailing from people who love to call Starmer 'Keith' that this isn't a priority ignoring two major things...

2. Just because something isn't an issue to you doesn't mean it isn't to other people.

Far too many people who are political on social media are massively detached from how most people consume their political news, generate their opinions and decide their priorities. 

For many people bin collections trump things like transgender rights or Israel/Palestine but you wouldn't know it from a lot of online political discussion, especially on the left. 

I think you make my point exactly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think you make my point exactly (twice 🙂 )

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Potholes a perfect example. Bring that up on the doorstep and you ain't getting away for a while. It's not trendy but it does get people animated. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Potholes a perfect example. Bring that up on the doorstep and you ain't getting away for a while. It's not trendy but it does get people animated. 

Holes filled in.jpg

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

Friend of mine is a Labour councillor in Wales. Spends 80% of his time discussing potholes, bin collection and flytipping. 

Edited by king canary

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Friend of mine is a Labour councillor in Wales. Spends 80% of his time discussing potholes, bin collection and flytipping. 

I’ve been door knocking for the forthcoming local election (I was persuaded against my better judgement to stand for the borough council 😬). Round here it’s potholes, anti-social behaviour and dog sh1t.

51 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’ve been door knocking for the forthcoming local election (I was persuaded against my better judgement to stand for the borough council 😬). Round here it’s potholes, anti-social behaviour and dog sh1t.

I think we can all come up with an idea that will sort all three out in one fell swoop.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Herman said:

The Lib Dem membership facebook group has a long-standing running joke of people posting photos of themselves pointing at potholes.