Herman

Nature watch.

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Peacocks now the prevalent species on the buddleia.

IMG_20220715_094224456_HDR.jpg

Yes we have them now. One must have been in bother as it couldn't get off the ground. I have put it as high up as I can and hope it improves.I have seen no cabbage white, yet I have a nice juicy nettle patch near the composter. Very comical rat climbs up the bird feeder each morning so we have moved the meal down to nearer the ground so it doesn't pee everywhere. Its too comical to poison or shoot it.

And the stick insects are out and about so I have to be careful when cutting the privet as that is their favourite. They flourish down here in Cornwall.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, horsefly said:

An old story, but nothing surprises me where shooting and Gamekeepers are involved on big estates.

I should think the amount of gamebirds that harriers take is negligible compared to the amount that die in their breeding pens, especially amongst the estimated 250,000 pheasants and partridges those w.ankers import from France each year.

*Sorry I didn't read that thoroughly first time, but just did. Unbelievable. There have been no end of incidents reported on the van ****sems estate on recent months, but that wont go any further given their royal connections.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1

Lot of Meadow Pipits to be seen when walking the dog round the moor / scrubland nearby.

This is a nice link showing them to be caring (feeding a young Cuckoo).

Lively little birds and always pleased to see them - often perch on the heads of bracken or little Rowan trees.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Lot of Meadow Pipits to be seen when walking the dog round the moor / scrubland nearby.

This is a nice link showing them to be caring (feeding a young Cuckoo).

Lively little birds and always pleased to see them - often perch on the heads of bracken or little Rowan trees.

Wow, what a tough time they have feeding that big old **** 🫤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Wow, what a tough time they have feeding that big old **** 🫤

Thought the same. Typical of Cuckoos...not even bothering to make a nest, just a bit of sofa surfing instead and then get other mugs to feed your offspring 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thought the same. Typical of Cuckoos...not even bothering to make a nest, just a bit of sofa surfing instead and then get other mugs to feed your offspring 🙂

Nature's eternal teenagers

• Like 1

Liking most nature stuff I should be happy that at least two pairs of seagusll have bred successfully. However when they' insist on diving at me I'm not so happy. I wish I could speak gull to tell them I'm not a threat to your chicks I'm just trying to get to work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The bee-eaters at Trimingham have chicks 👍

The race is now on for them to fledge and grow enough quickly enough to enable them to fly back south because they won't survive a winter here.

I wonder if the RSPB have a plan to intervene...

• Like 1

It's been raining here Belton, Yarmouth for about 5 minutes so I went outside to enjoy the experience, and there were at least 12 frogs all taking advantage of the wet conditions to move about the garden 👍

*something they haven't been able to do for some considerable time.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

A slightly frightening indicator of global warming. A photo of ripe blackberries by the side of the road in Mulbarton. They taste bland but OK. Not sure why they are so early in this location as opposed to others in the village but they definitely haven't reached this state at this time of year before 

20220722_113241.thumb.jpg.33054086e915f08a90df117267833837.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

The earthquakes are back

I´ve felt a few of them, but strangely not the 5.4 one, though I did get an android mobile phone warning

Does your wife say the same!!!!

• Haha 1

Meadow Browns out in force this morning all over the heather. Dozens of them.

IMG_20220804_132720.jpg

IMG_20220804_132803.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone have a bird bath? I bought one recently (secondhand) and wondered if it was something that a typical old fogey buys! A nice thing to have for birds to take a bath etc...

But I've been completely amazed how much it is used. I know hedgehogs need water but I've always though birds can get what they want whenever - but maybe not! Obviously the hot weather is an issue so I've reckoned  even a bowl of water seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Does anyone have a bird bath? I bought one recently (secondhand) and wondered if it was something that a typical old fogey buys! A nice thing to have for birds to take a bath etc...

But I've been completely amazed how much it is used. I know hedgehogs need water but I've always though birds can get what they want whenever - but maybe not! Obviously the hot weather is an issue so I've reckoned  even a bowl of water seems like a good idea.

I’ve had one for a couple of years. It was too close to the house to start with and they would fly off every time we moved 😁. Now it’s down the end of the garden in a sheltered spot it gets used a lot. You’ll find that once the birds get used to it they’ll come back a lot for drinks and baths, we’ll worth having one

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sonyc said:

I have several dotted around. Absolutely crucial for a wildlife focused garden. I also created a watering hole at ground level in a shady corner (see pics) which gets the most use of all the birdbaths in the garden. It's also accessible and safe for hedgehogs etc. Very much worth the small amount of effort required to construct.

IMG_1903.JPG

• Like 2

It is important to realise that all living things require water. Our bird bath is filled regularly and we do leave water for the insects. Bees in particular do like water. We have a Passion flower plant that dominates our patio. It runs alongside the back of the house about 6 feet tall and round the corner onto the garden wall. Mrs KG and I were in the hot tub last evening and it was swarming with bees. I though about twenty five but Mrs KG got out and counted them where it was accurate to do and there were nearer fifty. The Passion Flowers are plentiful and there were up to four bees on each bloom.

Our next door neighbour did her degree in Mellitology and Entomolgy and now lectures in it at Falmouth Uni. And she gives us tips on how to attract and look after these brilliant little insects.

• Like 1