Sign in to follow this  

4 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

I agree, which is why I can't understand the calls to sack Farke. Of our summer window all our three loanees: Patrick Roberts, Amadou and Fahrmann have departed early, Drmic was a free transfer and the injury hit Byram cost £750k. January added Rupp and Duda but since we got promoted we haven't added a single player that's a genuine upgrade on our first eleven.

Why people can even think of sacking Farke under those circumstances is beyond me.

Farke has a big say in who comes and goes, he has chosen not to improve the defence and instead to bring in a succession of attacking midfielders. 

Of course some of them are tat and the squad looks unbalanced and the defence concedes too many goals. 

He is as much at fault as Webber etc

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Farke has a big say in who comes and goes, he has chosen not to improve the defence and instead to bring in a succession of attacking midfielders. 

Of course some of them are tat and the squad looks unbalanced and the defence concedes too many goals. 

He is as much at fault as Webber etc

Perhaps you could enlighten us about how our transfer policy works? You clearly have inside knowledge on the subject. I'd be fascinated to know what amount of responsibility lies with Webber, with Farke and with the rest of the board.

Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Perhaps you could enlighten us about how our transfer policy works? You clearly have inside knowledge on the subject. I'd be fascinated to know what amount of responsibility lies with Webber, with Farke and with the rest of the board.

Thanks in advance.

It's public knowledge that a group of them do transfers with Farke having big say in that.

I'm not having that poor Farke hasn't spent any money and just had rubbish players thrust upon him. It's just not the case, he is part of the process. 

In Webbers own words on transfer dealings, 'the manager has the final say, but not the only say'

Rupp is an unspectacular solid midfield utility, comfortable enough at PL level. I think the reason he has so many negative shouts at the moment is 'steady and reliable' isn't going to dribble through the whole team and score a vital winner. Thinking along the lines of the Andrew Crofts or Graham Dorrans.

I put his shakey start yesterday down to being 90 minutes behind most of the others on the pitch.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In Webbers own words on transfer dealings, 'the manager has the final say, but not the only say'

Rupp is an unspectacular solid midfield utility, comfortable enough at PL level. I think the reason he has so many negative shouts at the moment is 'steady and reliable' isn't going to dribble through the whole team and score a vital winner. Thinking along the lines of the Andrew Crofts or Graham Dorrans.

I put his shakey start yesterday down to being 90 minutes behind most of the others on the pitch.   

👍 

14 minutes ago, Number9 said:

It's public knowledge that a group of them do transfers with Farke having big say in that.

I'm not having that poor Farke hasn't spent any money and just had rubbish players thrust upon him. It's just not the case, he is part of the process. 

Is it public knowledge? I'm not being aggressive, I'm just curious. I wasn't aware that they'd ever made public how the system works.

But irrespective of where the responsibility lies, our transfer business in the last 12 months has been very poor. It does seem a bit strange that we were able to bid £15m for Alexis Claude Maurice, but didn't manage to sign a single player who has improved the starting XI. Byram is a capable PL player and an excellent addition to the squad, but other than that we've had three failed loans (four if Duda doesn't improve), a decent Championship squad player in Rupp, and a couple of good youth additions.

EDIT: Just seen Mason47's post, with Webber's quote that 'the manager has the final say, but not the only say'. Thanks for that.

Edited by Feedthewolf

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I saw he was disposessed 4 times, but also saw he won the ball back as much as anyone else in the side (only Aarons matched him on that I think, but could be wrong).

I saw his pass % was low against Saints, but I don't think thats the norm. He wsas 87% in the cup against Spurs, for example.

I don't see him as a number 10 and it's only his versatility in general that makes him playable on the right, I wouldn't say he belongs there.

Sorry should have been clearer- all these stats were front yesterday, so that pass completion was v Everton. 

The overall success rate suggests last night was closer to the norm than the cup game- he's got the 19th best completion % of our squad this season- the only outfield players below him are Onel, Steipermann and Idah. 

He's, at best, been very average since he arrived and I don't think he brings much we didn't already have. In a central midfield position though, who knows?

Transfer-wise we got this year badly wrong.

Tettey said in the media he thought Amadou would be *the man* for that position and expected to be supplanted by the end of the season. Half a season as an emergency centre back and suddenly we're told he can't fit our style. Gone.

Fahrmann I believe was brought in because Kruls recent record particularly at PL level was very shaky. We needed a better backup than McGovern but based on the supposed loan fee & full wages, I can't see that he wasnt brought in to play. Gone.

Duda had a good first hour v Bournemouth but then has largely gone missing. Feels like a 'tourist signing'. Not actually sure we will see much of him again, Klose looked ready to rip his head off for letting Keane go yesterday. Here in body, gone in mind IMO.

As for the permanents, I happen to think Byram is a shrewd signing for a club like us and is genuine PL quality. Rupp, as I've explained above- not every player is a match winner. I also think Drmic is a lot better than he tends to get credit for, but has been doing his best to keep that a secret in the last two games.

Haven't bothered to pick apart Patrick Roberts loan, doesn't really seem worth the time to type. 

All in all you can't afford to make a mistake at this level if you're only spending a few million. Unfortunately we got it 90% wrong and you can only hope we learn from that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Is it public knowledge? I'm not being aggressive, I'm just curious. I wasn't aware that they'd ever made public how the system works.

But irrespective of where the responsibility lies, our transfer business in the last 12 months has been very poor. It does seem a bit strange that we were able to bid £15m for Alexis Claude Maurice, but didn't manage to sign a single player who has improved the starting XI. Byram is a capable PL player and an excellent addition to the squad, but other than that we've had three failed loans (four if Duda doesn't improve), a decent Championship squad player in Rupp, and a couple of good youth additions.

EDIT: Just seen Mason47's post, with Webber's quote that 'the manager has the final say, but not the only say'. Thanks for that.

One of the pinkun podcasts actually interviewed someone at NCFC who was involved in the scouting  / purchasing players. He may have been a manager of dept etc, can't remember,  but very knowledgeable of the current setup and process. 

A very interesting listen if you've not heard it, fascinating insights into potential and what some players which we have purchased have changed since arriving. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Number9 said:

One of the pinkun podcasts actually interviewed someone at NCFC who was involved in the scouting  / purchasing players. He may have been a manager of dept etc, can't remember,  but very knowledgeable of the current setup and process. 

A very interesting listen if you've not heard it, fascinating insights into potential and what some players which we have purchased have changed since arriving. 

Cool, cheers. Do you have a link, by any chance?

26 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Cool, cheers. Do you have a link, by any chance?

No chance of that, but the lads who do the pod are quite approachable, I'm sure if you email them they would respond well.

Might be worth trying YouTube, they're probably on there with the pinkun channel. 

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

It is also an issue when you drop someone like Buendia for 'solid and unspectacular.'

We've got enough unspectacular players in our midfield, we don't need to make space for another.

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

No chance of that, but the lads who do the pod are quite approachable, I'm sure if you email them they would respond well.

Might be worth trying YouTube, they're probably on there with the pinkun channel. 

All good, I used to work for Archant so I know the sports desk lads.

Not sure if anyone else has listened to the podcasts and can remember who Number9 is talking about?

The podcasts are all here: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/podcast

But I can't really be bothered trawling all of them to try and find it! 😉

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

All good, I used to work for Archant so I know the sports desk lads.

Not sure if anyone else has listened to the podcasts and can remember who Number9 is talking about?

The podcasts are all here: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/podcast

But I can't really be bothered trawling all of them to try and find it! 😉

It was possibly a special,  they spent a long while talking about it,  wasn't just ten minutes

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Sorry should have been clearer- all these stats were front yesterday, so that pass completion was v Everton. 

The overall success rate suggests last night was closer to the norm than the cup game- he's got the 19th best completion % of our squad this season- the only outfield players below him are Onel, Steipermann and Idah. 

He's, at best, been very average since he arrived and I don't think he brings much we didn't already have. In a central midfield position though, who knows?

He has also only been with us in January and essentially played out wide every game since coming in, and in reality only got in the team because of injury and serious lack of form / lack of tactical discipline (Buendia) from others. So it's a bit harsh people judging him and in particular, listing him amongst our worst ever players.

I think at prem level he will never be anything more than a versatile squad player but I think in the championship next season (presuming that's the case of course) he will be a good addition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

It is also an issue when you drop someone like Buendia for 'solid and unspectacular.'

We've got enough unspectacular players in our midfield, we don't need to make space for another.

I love Emi but he's shown less and less defensive responsibility as the season has worn on. Buendia having the third highest created chances in the league or whatever means very little if he's shirking challenges and we're getting pasted 3-0.

I've no problem with Farke shuffling the pack a little, particularly after that abject showing against Southampton. It worked for the first 45- very difficult to excuse the next 15 minutes of play however.

9 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I love Emi but he's shown less and less defensive responsibility as the season has worn on. Buendia having the third highest created chances in the league or whatever means very little if he's shirking challenges and we're getting pasted 3-0.

I've no problem with Farke shuffling the pack a little, particularly after that abject showing against Southampton. It worked for the first 45- very difficult to excuse the next 15 minutes of play however.

This for me is where it is on Farke to tweak or adjust his set up.

We don't score enough goals to allow us to drop someone like Buendia. If the current formation Farke prefers doesn't allow us to play our most talented attacker because he leaves us too open then he needs to change those tactics. 

Rupp for Buendia might make us a bit more solid but it clearly isn't solid enough to give us wins. So we need to look at how we can accommodate Emi while not leaving ourselves open on every counter attack.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This for me is where it is on Farke to tweak or adjust his set up.

We don't score enough goals to allow us to drop someone like Buendia. If the current formation Farke prefers doesn't allow us to play our most talented attacker because he leaves us too open then he needs to change those tactics. 

Rupp for Buendia might make us a bit more solid but it clearly isn't solid enough to give us wins. So we need to look at how we can accommodate Emi while not leaving ourselves open on every counter attack.

I love Farke but certainly agree with this.

The answer is surely to play Buendia in the middle just off Pukki and then give him the freedom to do what he does best. I

Then when we have straight choices out wide to use Cantwell, Hernandez or Rupp dependent on the opposition. t's got to be worth a try for the rest of the season at  least.

I also think that too often Farke sticks to his ideology and plan without thinking about the opposition and their set up and players.

All 3 of the players mentioned above were on offer to us as their careers for various reasons are in rapid decline and on the balance of probabilities maybe one of them could have come off and been a real asset, unfortunately non of them have come off and i suspect only Rupp will still be on the books at the start of next season

Tbh I don't see how they are any better than the players we already had. Waste of money bringing them in.