Sign in to follow this  
pete

Allies against relegation

One other thing I've not quite worked out is how would clubs vote on a PPG finish proposal.

You may get 7 clubs who are only prepared to restart if there is no relegation but if the prem said ok then next vote is PPG would the top 3 or 4 of those maintain their principled stance or would at least one of them just vote out of self interest and scr*w the current bottom 3? I think I know the answer to that.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not looking good is it. Our best and most expensive signing this season will need to be a lawyer and the will to take it to the highest of courts.

To be fair we can jump on the back of Villa and let them take the lead.

They have very rich owners who would have no problem going after the PL if they felt that there was unfair stuff going on.

That's why the PL is so determined to get it completed, without completion they know they cannot relegate because the legal implications would be considerable and the payments if the PL lost would be hundreds of millions.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

One other thing I've not quite worked out is how would clubs vote on a PPG finish proposal.

You may get 7 clubs who are only prepared to restart if there is no relegation but if the prem said ok then next vote is PPG would the top 3 or 4 of those maintain their principled stance or would at least one of them just vote out of self interest and scr*w the current bottom 3? I think I know the answer to that.

PPG doesn't work for those big clubs currently outside of the European places.

It's clear that the clubs who will be forcing all of this will be Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal, Liverpool because they get the title and the other 2 because playing games will hopefully help them catch up with those above them.

Plus don't forget that Spurs will probably also get back key players who wouldn't have seen out the season and will potentially now get them back for all the remaining games.

10 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

PPG doesn't work for those big clubs currently outside of the European places.

It's clear that the clubs who will be forcing all of this will be Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal, Liverpool because they get the title and the other 2 because playing games will hopefully help them catch up with those above them.

Plus don't forget that Spurs will probably also get back key players who wouldn't have seen out the season and will potentially now get them back for all the remaining games.

Looking at the table I guess you might scrape 8 against PPG. Man U probably the most borderline (on the basis Man City's ban might be overturned) but then you would think Wolves, Shef U, Spurs, Arsenal and the current bottom 3 would all be against it. Brighton have also publically said they don't think you can relegate on the basis of PPG.

I would like a bit more public focus on what the EFL are doing here as well. seems to me they have absolutely no intention of finishing their season but are keeping a low profile and waiting for the premier league to make their decision. There should be more resistance to two/three teams being promoted to the prem without kicking another ball when none of them have actually earnt promotion yet.

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Looking at the table I guess you might scrape 8 against PPG. Man U probably the most borderline (on the basis Man City's ban might be overturned) but then you would think Wolves, Shef U, Spurs, Arsenal and the current bottom 3 would all be against it. Brighton have also publically said they don't think you can relegate on the basis of PPG.

I would like a bit more public focus on what the EFL are doing here as well. seems to me they have absolutely no intention of finishing their season but are keeping a low profile and waiting for the premier league to make their decision. There should be more resistance to two/three teams being promoted to the prem without kicking another ball when none of them have actually earnt promotion yet.

It's definitely clear that the EFL are not going to do anything until the PL make their move, what would be the point.

L1 and 2 clubs have already said that playing behind closed doors is worse than not playing at all so the only benefit for the EFL would be to play the Championship and there is no point doing that if the PL doesn't complete.

8 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

It's definitely clear that the EFL are not going to do anything until the PL make their move, what would be the point.

L1 and 2 clubs have already said that playing behind closed doors is worse than not playing at all so the only benefit for the EFL would be to play the Championship and there is no point doing that if the PL doesn't complete.

The decisions should be taken together. Whether there will be 3 teams who have earnt promotion to the premier league over a complete season is directly relevant to the relegation debate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The decisions should be taken together. Whether there will be 3 teams who have earnt promotion to the premier league over a complete season is directly relevant to the relegation debate.

100% agree.

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8282803/Premier-League-plea-unity-amid-claims-strugglers-trying-block-Project-Restart.html

Premier League pleads for unity amid claims that the bottom six are trying to BLOCK Project Restart to avoid relegation - while top clubs want guarantees that three teams WILL go down

So basically the top 6 clubs want to finish for money, the bottom 6 clubs don’t want to finish beca

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8282803/Premier-League-plea-unity-amid-claims-strugglers-trying-block-Project-Restart.html

Premier League pleads for unity amid claims that the bottom six are trying to BLOCK Project Restart to avoid relegation - while top clubs want guarantees that three teams WILL go down

So basically few teams trying to throw their weight around for their own gain. **** them, take it to the courts if they want to try and relegate us with 27 points still to play for 

What I don't understand is why the top teams are insistant on relegation & promotion?

If it's all about cash and European places then they will get both those things by completing. The bottom six will agree to Project Restart if there was no relegation. What will they lose if relegation is stopped?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

What I don't understand is why the top teams are insistant on relegation & promotion?

If it's all about cash and European places then they will get both those things by completing. The bottom six will agree to Project Restart if there was no relegation. What will they lose if relegation is stopped?

I read something this morning which stated that the big 6 want relegation, I assume that's for integrity reasons but are happy for the I integrity to be compromised by playing at neutral grounds.

I take a lot of what I read with a pinch of salt as journos have nothing else to report on and they  need to sell papers.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Cos they are now trying to push their weight around so the bottom clubs agree to their terms. If relegation is stopped and they have to have an extended league next season it’s less money to spread around. **** to them, hope the clubs stand their ground I’m sure they  have their lawyers well up to speed on the situation 

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I wondered that without coming to a conclusion. Possibly the Big Six are afraid Uefa won't accept it as a genuine way to finish the season and so would ban English clubs, but I didn't convince myself!

So no surprises it’s 14 against 6 so it will get voted through 

Love how they mentioned 6 teams but show a picture of Norwich 🤷‍♂️

Love how they mentioned 6 teams but show a picture of Norwich 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, if anything it’s Brighton that are pushing most on this. Whatever happens now I think it’s going to court In  the summer. Especially if they try to replace the bottom 3 with 3 chosen from championship on ppg 

Edited by JF

Its clear that certain clubs who want to complete are briefing certain friendly journos this week in an attempt to put pressure on/isolate the bottom 6 and make it look like they are being unreasonable. Mirror/John Cross has been very pro completion all along.

Sadly looks like we may get rail roaded into finishing it at neutral venues.

Another reason to regret letting sh*te teams like Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle and Palace get away from us and accumulate enough points to be more or less safe with 9 games to go. You can bet that they would not be voting the same way if they were in their usual relegation battles.

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its clear that certain clubs who want to complete are briefing certain friendly journos this week in an attempt to put pressure on/isolate the bottom 6 and make it look like they are being unreasonable. Mirror/John Cross has been very pro completion all along.

Another reason to regret letting sh*te teams like Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle and Palace get away from us and accumulate enough points to be more or less safe with 9 games to go. You can bet that they would not be voting the same way if they were in their usual relegation battles.

Have to hope that we have enough on the pitch to get out of it, and if we don’t and they try to replace us with championship teams that haven’t finished their seasons, take it to the courts 

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Have to hope that we have enough on the pitch to get out of it, and if we don’t and they try to replace us with championship teams that haven’t finished their seasons, take it to the courts 

For me, that is the important point. It's one thing to relegate us on PPG, but if the EFL don't finish their season...? Then again, this a single article in a tabloid rag, wouldn't take it as gospel.

2 minutes ago, JF said:

I suppose you can take the view that we were more or less doomed to relegation had the season progressed as normal. Is the season re-starting in this strange/false manner more or less likely to see strange results and/or teams go on an unusual run? I'd say its probably more likely and its not inconceivable that we could come back all guns blazing and put a run together, possibly more so than we would have had the season continued uninterrupted. Some of our players (Pukki) were struggling a bit so may have benefitted form the break. The mid table teams with nothing to play for may well all be on the beach earlier than usual or indeed not risking key players. I can see the whole thing being a farce to be honest buy its not completely impossible for that to work in our favour. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jim Smith said:

I suppose you can take the view that we were more or less doomed to relegation had the season progressed as normal. Is the season re-starting in this strange/false manner more or less likely to see strange results and/or teams go on an unusual run? I'd say its probably more likely and its not inconceivable that we could come back all guns blazing and put a run together, possibly more so than we would have had the season continued uninterrupted. Some of our players (Pukki) were struggling a bit so may have benefitted form the break. The mid table teams with nothing to play for may well all be on the beach earlier than usual or indeed not risking key players. I can see the whole thing being a farce to be honest buy its not completely impossible for that to work in our favour. 

It's a good point. Would certainly prefer this opportunity than being relegated by default.

Can see a lot of mid-table teams not playing their top players who are in contract; shame we have to face a lot of the "weaker" teams in our run in!

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Absolutely. I agree that we could very well come out of this well. But, I feel incredibly strongly about the possibility of us being replaced by teams that haven’t earned promotion and may well not have done so if their season had played out. Thing is, there will be plenty of legal challenges from championship clubs on that as well as the bottom 3 

• Like 1

If we resumed at least Pukki has had more time to sort his foot/toes, his drop in form started when he got that injury and I don't think it ever really fully healed. I'd fancy him to bang a few goals in if we restarted. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

23 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. The Mail's 'SABOTAGE' story is written entirely from the point of view of the top six.

Also worth mentioning that the F.A Cup has been included in these plans with the final in August 

47 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we resumed at least Pukki has had more time to sort his foot/toes, his drop in form started when he got that injury and I don't think it ever really fully healed. I'd fancy him to bang a few goals in if we restarted. 

From 'memory' aswell...Klose was back in full training when this blew up...Hernandez was quoted as being out for 8 weeks....by my reckoning we're about 7 into that. Sam Bryram's season 'was' over...out until June....maybe not so now.

If the EPL lays down rules to our disadvantage then we might as well be out of the damn thing. Take their money and clear off. I am still of the impression that the larger majority of City fans just want football, winning and entertaining football but not at any cost.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

If the EPL lays down rules to our disadvantage then we might as well be out of the damn thing. Take their money and clear off. I am still of the impression that the larger majority of City fans just want football, winning and entertaining football but not at any cost.

I do, this has just demonstrated that the PL is there for the big 6 and add to that the farce that is VAR and the 'games' has gone.

Wish the big 6 would disappear off to their European super league and leave the rest of the clubs to get on with it. Will make for a better Premier League (in my opinion)

• Like 1

Has football gone that stupid and immoral that it forgets the most important people? The Fans. And people who go to Carrow Road, mainly through love of their club once a fortnight are being told to get lost because it is more important that Manure up their sales of shirts in Malyasia and that a TV channel increases its advertisers