Sign in to follow this  
pete

Allies against relegation

3 minutes ago, JF said:

But the clubs will vote for this neutral venue plan if promotion is off the table. So if that’s the case why not then take it to Australia where the public health/testing issues are not a problem? 

And that is then simply about money which will prove that the powers that be put that before lives and will do literally anything for the money.

And in that I mean Sky, BT, etc and the PL.

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And that is then simply about money which will prove that the powers that be put that before lives and will do literally anything for the money.

And in that I mean Sky, BT, etc and the PL.

We’ve known all along it’s just about the money. If we’re being told the truth then if this season doesn’t conclude at PL level many clubs at all levels will go out of business. Scrap relegation, take it to Australia where Perth is close to Coronavirus free, complete the season, and then somehow work out how next season can happen 

1 minute ago, JF said:

We’ve known all along it’s just about the money. If we’re being told the truth then if this season doesn’t conclude at PL level many clubs at all levels will go out of business. Scrap relegation, take it to Australia where Perth is close to Coronavirus free, complete the season, and then somehow work out how next season can happen 

I know, we all know but its never been officially said that they want to finish for purely money reasons.

Yes football (and professional sports in general) is about money. Of course they are going to try and finish the season and keep the contracted money (although Australia sounds like an idea floated to avoid “phantom crowds” not for any logistical reasons. Although games could be broadcast at reasonable times, keeping the scores secret would be almost impossible) 

Edited by Surfer

Y'know, the more this gets discussed, the more I'd be alright with it. 

Scrap the idea of promotion and relegation, send them all to Australia for a couple of months, play the games between early June and mid-July, get the £800m, save the Premier League clubs, give the £124m in parachute money to the EFL to save their clubs and pacify them, give players like Idah and Martin a bit of experience, then fly back home ready to restart the new season in late August or September if we're allowed. 

Everyone's a winner, except Leeds, which makes it even more perfect.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not really. If the league is not completed then nobody has earnt it. Unfortunate but if a game is called off after 80 minutes it gets replayed. 

Everyone to their own but that’s a cop out in my opinion and very convenient.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Everyone to their own but that’s a cop out in my opinion and very convenient.

This time last season Leeds were top two and Villa 10th. How do you fairly sort out championship promotion?? 

• Like 2

Just now, JF said:

This time last season Leeds were top two and Villa 10th. How do you fairly sort out championship promotion?? 

And that's the problem.

If they cannot finish the season, they cannot say who would be promoted; on the basis that any team down to Birmingham I think has a mathematical chance of promotion.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Y'know, the more this gets discussed, the more I'd be alright with it. 

Scrap the idea of promotion and relegation, send them all to Australia for a couple of months, play the games between early June and mid-July, get the £800m, save the Premier League clubs, give the £124m in parachute money to the EFL to save their clubs and pacify them, give players like Idah and Martin a bit of experience, then fly back home ready to restart the new season in late August or September if we're allowed. 

Everyone's a winner, except Leeds, which makes it even more perfect.

Also if football is to be played behind closed doors here next season could this be a possibility for the PL and Championship to make it more viable. Money spinning matches abroad that depending on their rate of infection may even allow a certain number of fans in? Probably not but at this moment every option has to be on the table if next season can happen 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You do something better then just forget 3/4 + of the season has gone but just forget it all. 

Like what? It’s up to the EFL to complete their season, the same as the PL are trying to do. Why should the bottom 6 go along  with these ridiculous ideas to complete whilst Leeds and West Brom sit around with their feet up and reep the rewards at others expense? 

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, JF said:

Also if football is to be played behind closed doors here next season could this be a possibility for the PL and Championship to make it more viable. Money spinning matches abroad that depending on their rate of infection may even allow a certain number of fans in? Probably not but at this moment every option has to be on the table if next season can happen 

The Chinese would love a bit of Barnsley v Hull at the Bird's Nest.

• Like 1

Just now, JF said:

Like what? It’s up to the EFL to complete their season, the same as the PL are trying to do. Why should the bottom 6 go alone with these ridiculous ideas to complete whilst Leeds and West Brom sit around with their feet up and reep the rewards at others expense? 

They shouldn’t but I’m 95% sure one of them would probably have replaced us and to just say Fcuk it doesn’t wash. 

**** to Leeds. You won’t find a single one of their utterly deluded fan base that would give a toss if the tables were turned 

4 minutes ago, JF said:

**** to Leeds. You won’t find a single one of their utterly deluded fan base that would give a toss if the tables were turned 

So we are no better than them too. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So we are no better than them too. 

You’re right. We should jump through hoops giving up home advantage, 5 subs in a match now so forget any points against the top teams, they can just sub half their team to turn the match, just so Leeds can sit around on their arses and then take our place, all to prove some morals? Na **** em....

Edited by JF

Lots of articles popping up this evening claiming we are in the group of six opposed to project restart. Curiously, the six are all the bottom six in the Premier League. Coincidence? 

I'd like to know the undecided club is - apparently 13 against 6 so far.

44 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Lots of articles popping up this evening claiming we are in the group of six opposed to project restart. Curiously, the six are all the bottom six in the Premier League. Coincidence? 

I don't think that is quite the argument. The question is not so much just whether the Premier League season is played to a finish, but what - if it is - is decided as result.

4 hours ago, JF said:

None of PL standard but apparently 20 grounds, they would take it to Australia first. They will go anywhere and do anything to get this done it seems 

Half of their top division clubs play their games at their national stadium. 

I'd hazard a guess that most of the rest don't even have a stand, it's a tiny country. 

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The team 7th from bottom. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You do something better then just forget 3/4 + of the season has gone but just forget it all. 

I would have some sympathy for West Brom snd  Leeds but the fact remains they have not won promotion and if their league can’t be promoted then they won’t. If the EFL wants to declare them first and second and ask the premier league to take them in an expanded premier league then they can make that request but they should not be coming up at our expense unless both leagues complete. 

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Worryingly 6 is not enough. The other 8 will have been leant on heavily by the top 6. 

The more you think about it the more issues there are with integrity and this re start. I know there are meaningless games at the end of every season but there are going to be a lot of teams with almost nothing to play for from the off (which may count against any efforts to get relegation binned as it will add to this). In this climate how many teams will risk their main stars or how much effort will they put in? I can see a load of teams fielding U23 sides. 

Not looking good is it. Our best and most expensive signing this season will need to be a lawyer and the will to take it to the highest of courts.

One thing that strikingly appears absent from the table but would solve a lot of problems for the leagues in a heartbeat is UEFA's Europa League and Champions League competitions. If they were cancelled for next season it would make decision making an awful lot easier for these clubs and reduce a lot of disruption.

It seems pretty inconceivable that by September/October this year and throughout the next 12 months teams are going to be able to fly all over Europe once a week to play European games in empty stadiums and yet our premier league is talking about putting on this contrived show in large part so as to settle the competition for European places which a lot of the big clubs contracts and sponsorship deals appear to be based on.