Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Cricket Off Until At Least July.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

EPL must surely now call it a day for 2019/1920 season and not push it any further into the long grass ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52409980

The EPL and EFL will continue to push for football to restart until the government tell them that they can’t. They won’t make any decisions until the next government review in May. 

15 minutes ago, JF said:

The EPL and EFL will continue to push for football to restart until the government tell them that they can’t. They won’t make any decisions until the next government review in May. 

I see exactly what you say JF but the ECB have not waited until the next review on 7th May.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

They could play cricket behind closed doors with the cardboard cut outs on the pitch...

Don't forget Nutty that when fielding social distancing is not a problem.

Yes a few tweaks would fix cricket - 2nd and 5th Slips only, no standing up to the wicket Keepers, and the non striking batsman to act as Umpire on an honor system - no lbw’s allowed though. 

Then there is the use of a single ball.... Lysol wipes for everyone? 

Edited by Surfer

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I see exactly what you say JF but the ECB have not waited until the next review on 7th May.

Easier for cricket to make the decision because it’s a summer sport - it hasn’t already started a season and doesn’t need to juggle finishing one season with starting the next.

It’s also an easier decision because of how the cricket season looked this year. Theres a bit of overlap but basically April-May was County Championship, June and first half of July was t20, a few weeks of county championship, August was The Hundred alongside the one day tournament, then a final month of county championship in September. 

County championship will almost certainly get scrapped (hard to squeeze in/rearrange 4-day games!). It’s also the least lucrative of the four. That lets you push everything else back by almost 4 months. And it’s then an easy decision not to start until July as you can fit your three most lucrative formats into July-September. 

The real big decision for domestic cricket authorities will be what they do if it needs to be delayed even further. I doubt they’ll make that call very early and will (if still an issue by July) take as long as football authorities are doing now.

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Yes a few tweaks would fix cricket - 2nd and 5th Slips only, no standing up to the wicket Keepers, and the non striking batsman to act as Umpire on an honor system - no lbw’s allowed though. 

Then there is the use of a single ball.... Lysol wipes for everyone? 

No silly point then?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mr footy said:

Why

Exactly.

2 extremely different sports in terms of everything relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic.

They will push it as long as they can until it is without question done with and why wouldn't they? Theres a lot to be considered here, both in terms of safety and financially.

Many getting on their high horse about the finances, but the game has that level of finance, it would be insane not to give it the consideration it needs. Many livelihoods depends on there being a high level sport to return to, both playing and non-playing staff.

Despite some people on here believing they know better, they don't. But don't let that get in the way of your belly aching.

Personally I dont believe it will resume properly, but who can begrudge them pushing the possibility all they can?

Edited by South Sider

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

No silly point then?

No, silly points and short legs definitely not allowed. Perhaps a short third man and backward square leg for Captains feeling adventurous. 

Its worth pointing out though that if Cricket were to have gone ahead it wouldn’t have seen thousands of people congregate around houses to watch the matches on a pay to view service which is exactly what will happen if and when football gets played. And cricket is highly unlikely to see mass numbers of children go to the parks for a kick around as soon as it’s played, which again will happen as soon as football kicks off as people won’t put up with one rule for multi millionaire footballers and another for society. Some very big decisions coming up for the government if they don’t want social distancing rules breaking down in society 

20 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't forget Nutty that when fielding social distancing is not a problem.

I disagree, the slips surely  would be inside the 2m distancing if a ball came between them , they would both move towards  it. Similarly  a bowler, huffing and puffing would run within 2m of a non batting batsman. Stupid game anyway.  Should use cricket grounds for games of social distancing footy,  where the object of the game is not to score goals but retain possession while maintaining  social distancing.  No goals, lines or corners on a round pitch. Scores  would be along the lines of Man City 67 Watford  33. 

First test match I was ever taken to in 1953. Trent Bridge. Hopefully will be seeing some again soon. Can you name them?

mUiQkhI.jpg

11 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

First test match I was ever taken to in 1953. Trent Bridge. Hopefully will be seeing some again soon. Can you name them?

mUiQkhI.jpg

Keith Miller one in from the left, top row, and Lindsey Hassett, the captain, centre left in the front row, with Arthur Morris centre right?

Or is Miller first left middle row? They look similar...

Edited by PurpleCanary

I met one of the team in 81 at the same Trent bridge only he was commentator then...the great Richie Benaud. Here is the list of players. Brother in law was member and got them all. Sadly he died last year. He was a member at lords also and I had several great days in the Long room.

wQKejLh.jpg

• Like 1