mr footy

Play offs for bottom 6

But would not solve the problem of PL clubs losing up to a quarter of their income for that season

Any ideas on that one ?

1 hour ago, mr footy said:

There is no doubt this would be fairest way to end season if we cannot play all nine gamesĀ 

It wouldn't because (thankfully) it would nullify Norwich's current poor position in relation to the other clubs.
Brighton are best placed for survival currently, all they have to do is match the results of at justĀ 3 clubs below them, Norwich, however have to put in a run of form they've never shown this season !

25 minutes ago, K Lo said:

It wouldn't because (thankfully) it would nullify Norwich's current poor position in relation to the other clubs.
Brighton are best placed for survival currently, all they have to do is match the results of at justĀ 3 clubs below them, Norwich, however have to put in a run of form they've never shown this season !

Sounds fair to me! (With my yellow and green glasses on)

All these concoctions are flawed.

How's about play-offs between the bottom three in the PL and the top three in the Chumps then?.

Just as feasible, but a no-goer all the same.

Either the (health) climate changes dramatically in order to permit some format, which is unlikely, or the season is declared void.

This latterĀ will, of course, give City a second bite at the cherry but we may still be disadvantagedĀ by having a larger league (frequently mooted) and therefore being faced with more relegation places to avoid in 20-21. Neither Leeds nor WBA are likely to beĀ pushovers.

With our precarious position it's a bit of a quandary for Canary supporters I would assume. Part of me wants to see the season out in one way or the other whilst part of me is delighted that we might not, after all, be faced with the prospect of Championship football so soon again.

Ā 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

All these concoctions are flawed.

How's about play-offs between the bottom three in the PL and the top three in the Chumps then?.

Just as feasible, but a no-goer all the same.

Either the (health) climate changes dramatically in order to permit some format, which is unlikely, or the season is declared void.

This latterĀ will, of course, give City a second bite at the cherry but we may still be disadvantagedĀ by having a larger league (frequently mooted) and therefore being faced with more relegation places to avoid in 20-21. Neither Leeds nor WBA are likely to beĀ pushovers.

With our precarious position it's a bit of a quandary for Canary supporters I would assume. Part of me wants to see the season out in one way or the other whilst part of me is delighted that we might not, after all, be faced with the prospect of Championship football so soon again.

Ā 

None of the nonsense options that keep being muted are actually feasible.

The Dutch FA have just led the way of logic and making the right decision and there can be no legal challenge by anyoneĀ 

I keep reading that Leeds and West Brom should beĀ promoted, why.......its just as likely that Leeds will fall apart as usual and West Brom aren't guaranteed to finish in the top 2.

The ONLY fair way for everyone involved is to do what the Dutch have done.

• Like 2

There wonā€™t be any of this at all. If the season canā€™t be concluded it will go to a PL vote on finishing the table as it stands awarding champions, euro qualifying but with no relegation, a possibility of opening up two promotion places but certainly not guaranteed. The Dutch have called it as it stands with no champions elected as it was on goal difference and no promotion/relegation. Ajax who were top will go into the CL and AZ who were joint top will go into the qualifying rounds, they are far from happy about that!! The Dutch havenā€™t null and voided it and the table stands so the league gets its euro placesĀ 

Edited by JF

Just now, JF said:

There wonā€™t be any of this at all. If the season canā€™t be concluded it will go to a PL vote on finishing the table as it stands awarding champions, euro qualifying but with no relegation, a possibility of opening up two promotion places but certainly not guaranteed. The Dutch have called it as it stands with no champions elected as it was on goal difference and no promotion/relegation. Ajax who were top will go into the CL and AZ who were joint top will go into the qualifying rounds, they are far from happy about that!!Ā 

I think youā€™re right, I canā€™t see anything other than as Ricardo has been saying a void season, no promotion no relegation, if you void the season thereā€™s no way any club has a legal legit stand on to sue as both a Leeds and WBA have not enough points to be certain promotion sides.

So I think like you weā€™ll see the season over and we all start again when we can in a new season as we are now!

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think youā€™re right, I canā€™t see anything other than as Ricardo has been saying a void season, no promotion no relegation, if you void the season thereā€™s no way any club has a legal legit stand on to sue as both a Leeds and WBA have not enough points to be certain promotion sides.

So I think like you weā€™ll see the season over and we all start again when we can in a new season as we are now!

Yes but the terminology is different. It isnā€™t Null and Void, the Dutch have been very clear in saying that the season has happened, the league table stands for Europe qualifying but they are just not awarding champions as it was so close. Liverpool will definitely be given the title it wonā€™t be null and voidĀ 

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, JF said:

Yes but the terminology is different. It isnā€™t Null and Void, the Dutch have been very clear in saying that the season has happened, the league table stands for Europe qualifying but they areĀ ust not awarding champions as it was so close. Liverpool will definitely be given the title it wonā€™t be null and voidĀ 

Yes thatā€™s correct, the issue with that is by not calling it null and void you can leave yourself open to clubs likeĀ LeedsĀ suing the premiership. By hulling it Iā€™m pretty sure it would be harder to sue as itā€™s just a cancelled season.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Yes thatā€™s correct, the issue with that is by not calling it null and void you can leave yourself open to clubs likeĀ LeedsĀ suing the premiership. By hulling it Iā€™m pretty sure it would be harder to sue as itā€™s just a cancelled season.

Even if Leeds and WestĀ Brom did want to sue, they have no claim to be in the premier any more than Fulham and the others still in with a chance of automatic promotion and by my reckoning any team down to Birmingham in 16th place can lay claim to being able to be promoted based on 27 points still being available and that would give them more than Leeds and West Brom.

On that basis there is no factual evidence as to who would have been promoted if they games cannot be played so they cannot relegate or promote from any leagues

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Even if Leeds and WestĀ Brom did want to sue, they have no claim to be in the premier any more than Fulham and the others still in with a chance of automatic promotion and by my reckoning any team down to Birmingham in 16th place can lay claim to being able to be promoted based on 27 points still being available and that would give them more than Leeds and West Brom.

On that basis there is no factual evidence as to who would have been promoted if they games cannot be played so they cannot relegate or promote from any leagues

I agree entirely, my point is if you say itā€™s completed as it is, then your saying the season stands, that could open the door for a case to sue, like the Dutch it should be called off as a dead season, end off.

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

I agree entirely, my point is if you say itā€™s completed as it is, then your saying the season stands, that could open the door for a case to sue, like the Dutch it should be called off as a dead season, end off.

I see the Sun newspaper is going again with the games being played soon.

What's going to happen if one ofĀ the teams catches it and cant play for 2wks, does it all come to a lockdown again!?!Ā 

It's great that they're planning on testing but what happens when it's positive šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

They get put into quarantine

And it is not some guff about 'fairness' it is ALL about the TV money. With still 25% of the fixtures not played the companies with the broadcasting rights have an almost water tight case for not paying 25% of money.

Yet despite all the bleats, not a single word of how clubs could survive such a hit.... they couldn't.

The Dutch league receives Ā£75m in TV money 1/20th of what the PL receives - so as a hit it is far less a proportion of the total income.

Were the season to end, and we were relegated I estimate that around Ā£30m would be lost and a further Ā£30m plus with parachute payments. Yep, we could simply sell players...... to a transfer market that will not exist at the same level as last summer.

That's what is focusing minds - not some bizarre notion of fairness.

Spot on Bill.

But the reality of the Virus will override the wish for the money.Ā 

Worst case for Norwich - loss of revenue this season, relegation based on PPG, reduced parachute payments next season, drastic reduction in player registration value in the transfer market.Ā 

Best case for Norwich - loss of revenue this season, no relegation based on PPG, reduced PL money for next season, very little summer transfer activity, blood some more U23 players and accept we may be relegated and go again the following year.Ā 

Ā 

Fantasy landĀ - All Premier League games are played including FA Cup to capacity houses. No reduction in PL TV monies, we are relegated but get full amount of next year's parachute payments andĀ no reduction in the current transfer value on player sales.Ā 

Only way out, in my opinion is null and void the season. Any other options leaves it open to legal challenge.Ā 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

And it is not some guff about 'fairness' it is ALL about the TV money. With still 25% of the fixtures not played the companies with the broadcasting rights have an almost water tight case for not paying 25% of money.

Yet despite all the bleats, not a single word of how clubs could survive such a hit.... they couldn't.

The Dutch league receives Ā£75m in TV money 1/20th of what the PL receives - so as a hit it is far less a proportion of the total income.

Were the season to end, and we were relegated I estimate that around Ā£30m would be lost and a further Ā£30m plus with parachute payments. Yep, we could simply sell players...... to a transfer market that will not exist at the same level as last summer.

Youā€™re right Bill, but you canā€™t finish the season if you run out of time!
Ā 

This notion of points average to finish the season and crown Liverpool champions and relegate the three teams doesnā€™t play the games and doesnā€™t give us the 30 million.

So we all know it probably wonā€™t be finished with games being played out, so anything other than mulling the season has so many loopholes to allow all clubs who feel hard done by to sue!

8 hours ago, Bill said:

The government will make the decision When they can playĀ and it will be one based on public health, not football clubs financesĀ 

It won't be null and void because the EPL will have to award European places for next season. One assumes that will take account of games played this season or a play off, rather than some imaginary randome allocation. Tough on Sheff Utd, Wolves, Spurs and Man Utd.

There won't be any promotion or relegation. Tough on Leeds. No-one will relegate Villa the resultant legal action will be huge. Very rich owners, a lot to lose.

Ā 

On 25/04/2020 at 00:13, Capt. Pants said:

No-one will relegate Villa the resultant legal action will be huge. Very rich owners, a lot to lose.

Besides which Prince William supports Villa, so there would be hell to pay in the Telegraph if they did that.Ā 

Points per game to settle the European places, no relegation / promotion BBC Sport CHampionship

and a "jolly good show" pat on the back for Liverpool.Ā 

Edited by Surfer