Well b back

Come on Sarah

9 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Scientists now arguing about the gap between the two jabs, surely this will put people off having it

I am not shocked.

As I have said for the last couple of days as far as Pfizer goes they are saying they have no data supporting this and they feel their second dose should be 21 days.

As far as Oxford go I am convinced ( but will happy to be proved wrong ) that the 8 - 12 weeks has nothing to do with anything other than the efficacy as 2 or 3 pretty reliable sources have said AstraZeneca have said this is the missing part to get to 95%. 
There are very mixed messages currently.

GPs are being offered £10 for every care home resident they vaccinate in a drive by NHS England to reach the majority of those seen as top priority by the end of next month.

Latest figures showed 786,000 people received a Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 jab between December 8 and Sunday December 27, NHS England said.

About two-thirds, some 524,439, were delivered to people aged 80 and above - about one in five people in that age group.

Dr Nikki Kanani, GP and NHS medical director for primary care, said: "As we head into the new year with a second vaccine that is also more versatile, we will be able to expand the programme and ensure that the majority of care home residents are protected within the next four weeks or so.

NHS staff will now also be prioritised following the approval of the Oxford vaccine, the health service said.

Appreciate won’t be one for the west but another vaccine approved 

China has given conditional approval for a coronavirus vaccine developed by state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm to be given to the general public.

The decision came a day after the firm said interim data showed its vaccine had a 79% efficacy rate in phase three trials.

Several Chinese-made vaccines at a late trial stage are already in use in China after being granted emergency licences.

Beijing hopes to inoculate tens of millions of people by mid-February, the start of the Chinese New Year.

Some experts have given a cautious welcome to the Sinopharm vaccine however, pointing out that the firm has not made public any detailed data from the trials.

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Appreciate won’t be one for the west but another vaccine approved 

China has given conditional approval for a coronavirus vaccine developed by state-owned drugmaker Sinopharm to be given to the general public.

The decision came a day after the firm said interim data showed its vaccine had a 79% efficacy rate in phase three trials.

Several Chinese-made vaccines at a late trial stage are already in use in China after being granted emergency licences.

Beijing hopes to inoculate tens of millions of people by mid-February, the start of the Chinese New Year.

Some experts have given a cautious welcome to the Sinopharm vaccine however, pointing out that the firm has not made public any detailed data from the trials.

I imagine the vaccines have been given first trial on the Uighur people

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

GPs are being offered £10 for every care home resident they vaccinate in a drive by NHS England to reach the majority of those seen as top priority by the end of next month.

Latest figures showed 786,000 people received a Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 jab between December 8 and Sunday December 27, NHS England said.

About two-thirds, some 524,439, were delivered to people aged 80 and above - about one in five people in that age group.

Dr Nikki Kanani, GP and NHS medical director for primary care, said: "As we head into the new year with a second vaccine that is also more versatile, we will be able to expand the programme and ensure that the majority of care home residents are protected within the next four weeks or so.

NHS staff will now also be prioritised following the approval of the Oxford vaccine, the health service said.

Is this only open to GPs? At £10 a pop I wouldn't mind vaccinating few hundred a day With the wife on furlough I could get her to lock and load while I administered the jab. We could clear £2-3k per day no problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Does anybody actually know how many are available Monday ?

Yes it would be good to have a clear message on this! 

The last I read was that we had over 400,000 Pfizer vaccines to be used on those vaccinated with more on order, this has changed to be used on others.

The Oxford vaccine, strange as for months I’ve been told and read we had millions doses ready as they were being produced alongside the testing, so mass roll out could begin on approval! The biggest challenge was to set up the mass vaccination centres and these would be manned by numerous trained people from different backgrounds, this has been talked about since September, yet here we are in January and it looks like the government have yet again made a bollox of this! They really are the worst government we’ve ever had.

Edited by Indy

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

They really are the worst government we’ve ever had.

Hard to argue with that indy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes it would be good to have a clear message on this! 

The last I read was that we had over 400,000 Pfizer vaccines to be used on those vaccinated with more on order, this has changed to be used on others.

The Oxford vaccine, strange as for months I’ve been told and read we had millions doses ready as they were being produced alongside the testing, so mass roll out could begin on approval! The biggest challenge was to set up the mass vaccination centres and these would be manned by numerous trained people from different backgrounds, this has been talked about since September, yet here we are in January and it looks like the government have yet again made a bollox of this! They really are the worst government we’ve ever had.

I've raised this on the other thread to a mixed response. Apparently, there is no shortage according to vaccine companies (Independent story this morning) and GP's have been asking what is happening. There seems a kind of void!

Just wish we might get update soon (Zahawi is the minister in charge for example). Maybe this weekend?

• Like 1

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

Between Matt Hancock's ears?

I set that one up didn't I?

Inadvertently

• Haha 2

Just now, sonyc said:

I set that one up didn't I?

Inadvertently

Seriously though, someone needs to get a grip it and sort it out, from both a practical and PR point of view.

12 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

According to the Economist, India has now authorised the Oxford AZ vaccine and has 40m doses ready to use, great news.

300m target (of 1.3bn) by June I've seen

1 minute ago, Daz Sparks said:

Seriously though, someone needs to get a grip it and sort it out, from both a practical and PR point of view.

In these days of minute by minute news it is odd to know very little.

I suppose the thing to do is imagine we are living in say 1980 and we have to update our knowledge with ceefax or the morning's papers (seriously I used to read the Norwich scores and report...the latter if lucky, in that way). Sometimes it's good to be in the dark. Social media has spoilt everything!  The bloody 'now' generation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I suppose the thing to do is imagine we are living in say 1980 and we have to update our knowledge with ceefax or the morning's papers (seriously I used to read the Norwich scores and report...the latter if lucky, in that way). Sometimes it's good to be in the dark. Social media has spoilt everything!  The bloody 'now' generation.

Exactly, SonyC. Think about the effect on people's mental health in trying to process minute by minute news. 

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

The thing is Sonyc, rolling 24hr news has been here now for two decades, you might have thought our Government would be well adapted by now.

2 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

The thing is Sonyc, rolling 24hr news has been here now for two decades, you might have thought our Government would be well adapted by now.

That's very true.

Jeez, it has been quite the feature of this government to have most major news leaked! But not this item 😞

12 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Exactly, SonyC. Think about the effect on people's mental health in trying to process minute by minute news. 

I was being sardonic but also there was a deeper message RTB and thanks for picking this up. Knowing too much or searching for news (and moreover mulling things over negatively) is a curse for some. No reactions left at moment but thumbs up

There seem to be a few things playing out here, we have had discussions around vials, there also has to be some form of Regulatory QA authentication for batches which may also be a problem. I wonder if there is some difficulty producing the volume,  crucially, to the standard required? In the absence info hares start to run, tricky situation for all, we grab on to tiny snippets of info and perhaps draw inaccurate conclusions. Bring on the Tzar!!

Edited by Van wink

AstraZeneca have made a statement today that although the doses will not start to flow rapidly over the next couple of days they will be providing 2 million doses a week to the U.K. by mid January. This is 1 dose, then a second dose 8 - 12 weeks apart. Personally as I mentioned I don’t think that’s anything to do with quickening things up ( those people will still need their second dose ) as 2 million 2nd doses a week will need to be administered before anything else in March, April and May. I think it’s to do with efficacy increasing to 95% when spread over the longer period, but we will only know this for certain when the paper promised by Oxford-Astrazeneca is released.

Pfizer have also made a statement with AstraZeneca saying we also have lots of Pfizer here, there is however lots of friction about their second dose being after 21 days, with GPS refusing to follow MHRA advice. There is lots of info around this from both sides on the internet, so may I suggest you have a look, and make your own mind up as that is getting very political.

To answer some of the other points.

I don’t believe at the moment there is a shortage of glass Phials. Russia and China seem to have produced their own, whilst the major producers upped their production sometime ago, but to avoid the PPE and mask fiascos around the world they decided they would only sell to vaccine manufacturers that ‘ were likely to have the first approved vaccines ‘. My understanding therefore is AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna ( as well as Sputnik and the 2 Chinese ones ) have no current problems with phials, I believe the confusion lies in AstraZeneca saying their existing 5 million doses are not yet in phials as it is not they don’t have them, but they couldn’t package it until it was approved.

Indeed the Serum Institute of India will be the major producer of the vaccine, but it is unlikely the Western countries like ourselves and Europe will benefit from their doses. They are a partner of the AstraZeneca group and they will be supplying India but more importantly Covax ( the scheme to provide vaccine to the world ). They are expected to have 2 billion doses ready by I think the summer. They are responsible for seeking approval from India and W.H.O. and have waited until the MHRA approved it ( this was always the plan ). In the last few hours India has approved the Oxford-Astrazeneca for emergency use 8 - 12 weeks apart, interestingly  stating 8 - 12 weeks appeared to give a much higher efficacy. I am hoping that ties in with my theory that this is the missing piece of the jigsaw as hinted at by AstraZeneca. They have already tried some dry runs on mass immunisation sites and are doing a full scale one tomorrow, with the plan to open completely from Friday next week. They plan to immunise 276,000,000 by August.

As far as our plan goes I have no information. I do wonder though if we are going to hand this over to the military. There does not seem to be any problems with the number of sites, they seem to have been announced ( certainly around here ). There also seems no problem with the recruitment, tens of thousands have been offered jobs and volunteers have ( as I understand it ) swamped the volunteer sites. If I could find a problem in my head it’s hospitals and GP surgeries who are possibly having every second taken up with those that have the virus.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 2

New Facebook post, Reydon Surgery will be vaccinating patients from Southwold, Beccles, Bungay, Halesworth and Reydon from “ mid January “ , presumably in the order previously published. Yippee.

15 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

New Facebook post, Reydon Surgery will be vaccinating patients from Southwold, Beccles, Bungay, Halesworth and Reydon from “ mid January “ , presumably in the order previously published. Yippee.

Yep

All the vaccine sites are known as well.
An announcement of what happens next would be good.