Pugin

Number of EFL to go to the wall if worst Coronavirus predictions are accurate

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This thread was originally about football but the biggest losers will be cinemas, theatres, restaurants and pubs. They will struggle to survive. 

Plus tourism.

Anyone fancy a cruise?

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Plus tourism.

Anyone fancy a cruise?

Even before the virus I would rather have spent a week in prison than go on a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read this on a Crufts forum

“We have been at Crufts 4 years in a row, this time we canceled. Our team is not going due to the  emergency situation we are experiencing in Italy with the CoVid. Just a few numbers referred to Saturday, February the 29th that you can easily find in the news..... Last week we had the first case in Italy, today there are more than 1100.... 50%  have been hospitalized 15 % of which in life danger, 3% died, most of the people were 60 years old and above and had other health problems but they were all tested positive at the CoVid 2019. Schools are closed in 3 major regions, 50000 people live in a so called Red Zone, nobody in nobody out, grocery stores have been assaulted, soccer games and major events canceled... Hospitals like the one in Cremona and Lodi are in trouble because it is spreading too fast and this is the major problem, too many people hospitalized at the same time and nurses and doctors in quarantine because they have been infected as well Then there is another big issue related to the Economy. So, to those who are planning to go, please pay attention, do not think you will be OK by just washing your hands. People are packed like sardines at crufts..... That is exactly what the virus needs. Eventually we will defeat the virus, it is just a matter of time and we will all be able to go back to our lives whatever the cost may be but at the mean time we all need to be responsible not just for our self but for all the people we love who have health issues that can actually die because of the virus. 

Be safe and have fun”

You only have to see how the number of Asian countries expose their food in the street markets to be wary of what germs are present also no idea what you are eating. Vietnam has a big problem with the black market in dogs etc.   Anyone for a takeaway 

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No you didn't say that it's no worse than the flu but I specifically referred to posters other than you. One person has even said that we need to get a vaccine available and that will end the problem. That is absolute nonsense. The medical authorities are saying that the earliest a vaccine will be available is next year. 

You may well have a point with pay per view but the sad fact is that smaller clubs will lose out if big games are available at the same time as theirs, which is why we have a broadcast ban at 3.00pm on a Saturday. 

Hopefully our advantage of being an island will help but as I write this I'm listening to Boris Johnson and the medical experts and they seem resigned to this having a significant impact. Usually I can't stand the man but he did at least do a very good job of the press conference. Football wasn't mentioned. 

I'm still going to Tottenham tomorrow 💛💚

No one said get the vaccine available and it will end the problem, it’ll help control the problem like it does flu.

As for football this has the potential to significantly change the future of football, as lots of clubs won’t have the funds.

overreaction like always, you try buying hand gel now, only on line and at greatly inflated prices, things to come thanks to overreacting and press.

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

No one said get the vaccine available and it will end the problem, it’ll help control the problem like it does flu.

As for football this has the potential to significantly change the future of football, as lots of clubs won’t have the funds.

overreaction like always, you try buying hand gel now, only on line and at greatly inflated prices, things to come thanks to overreacting and press.

Quote from your earlier post -

It’s just a virus which needs a vaccine issued ASAP, fast track it and this will all be dealt with. 

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Quote from your earlier post -

It’s just a virus which needs a vaccine issued ASAP, fast track it and this will all be dealt with. 

Dealt with isn’t end the problem but deal with it! Meaning normal conditions to go on like flu! So quote it right please.

Should a vaccine become available and given to the vulnerable this will be downgraded quick. Trouble is the procedures and current requirements to bring such a vaccine to the public will take months, best to fast track any such product to help protect these people. 

Edited by Indy

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

Dealt with isn’t end the problem but deal with it! Meaning normal conditions to go on like flu! So quote it right please.

Should a vaccine become available and given to the vulnerable this will be downgraded quick. Trouble is the procedures and current requirements to bring such a vaccine to the public will take months, best to fast track any such product to help protect these people. 

Sorry but I just quoted word for word what you said! But I'll pass your insights on to the Chief Medical Officer. If only you had been there with him and Boris this morning to reassure everyone 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry but I just quoted word for word what you said! But I'll pass your insights on to the Chief Medical Officer. If only you had been there with him and Boris this morning to reassure everyone 

Great you do that, have fun at Spurs, remember to take your hand gel!

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Great you do that, have fun at Spurs, remember to take your hand gel!

I have a Screwfix mask and swimming goggles. I'll be fine💛💚

Plus I have a large bottle of Norfolk air which I always take to London games

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Look at Italy's new figures for today.😷

50% increase on numbers apparently in a day! Likewise UK numbers up 25%+ in a day. Plus, presumably we don't hear of how many are being tested daily.

Wonder who the first 'high profile' name might be affected. 23 Iran MPs now suffering.

Just hope that those stats about mild to moderate hold up. I guess like chicken pox, it affects youngsters less than contracting it as an adult or when much older.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have a Screwfix mask and swimming goggles. I'll be fine💛💚

Plus I have a large bottle of Norfolk air which I always take to London games

It’s Tottenham, that’s standard equipment for that ****ehole, never mind Coronavirus! Safe travels guys.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Plus tourism.

Anyone fancy a cruise?

Certainly do. Mrs Crafty and I should be cruising round the west and central Med in May. 

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

Certainly do. Mrs Crafty and I should be cruising round the west and central Med in May. 

Four of us are cruising around the Med in August - don't know what the odds are of that going ahead....

5 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

So are we on the Britannia.....part of our 25th wedding anniversary....doubt that’s going to happen!

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oh dear..... 

I spoke to a GP yesterday who said that it was only a matter of time before someone with the virus used the London transport system. At that point it will spread incredibly quickly. It seems that there is a general acceptance that it's going to happen so there's little point in trying to isolate ourselves. 

Oddly enough I was speaking to a friend who is a nurse in the local hospital and she said that to be at any serious risk of infection you need to be within 6 foot of someone infected for at least an hour. Obviously there is a small chance of being infected in less time, but the less time you are in range the less chance of being infected.

I'm not saying that this isn't serious but you've also got to bear in mind that the huge jumps in recognised number of cases often come shortly after increased levels of testing and screening, e.g. if we start testing all flu patients then we would expect to see a huge increase in numbers, and that kind of correlation is often not reported alongside the numbers from other countries. The disease is serious, the press are scare mongering, people need to take reasonable precautions, but this isn't the cataclysmic event that some seem to think it is...

23 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Oddly enough I was speaking to a friend who is a nurse in the local hospital and she said that to be at any serious risk of infection you need to be within 6 foot of someone infected for at least an hour. Obviously there is a small chance of being infected in less time, but the less time you are in range the less chance of being infected.

I'm not saying that this isn't serious but you've also got to bear in mind that the huge jumps in recognised number of cases often come shortly after increased levels of testing and screening, e.g. if we start testing all flu patients then we would expect to see a huge increase in numbers, and that kind of correlation is often not reported alongside the numbers from other countries. The disease is serious, the press are scare mongering, people need to take reasonable precautions, but this isn't the cataclysmic event that some seem to think it is...

I would suggest that the press don’t need to be scare mongering with this. Watching how world governments are reacting is all the evidence needed to realise how very serious this situation is. Countries don’t willingly damage their own economies for something that isn’t incredibly, incredibly serious. Iran have temporarily released 54,000 prisoners to try and contain the outbreak there. Is it a cataclysmic event? Who knows, but World Governments are acting in unprecedented ways that I’ve not seen in my life time

Edited by JF
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

The chance of this happening is close to nil.

35 minutes ago, Indy said:

So are we on the Britannia.....part of our 25th wedding anniversary....doubt that’s going to happen!

You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening.

Or the binners making the play offs

13 minutes ago, JF said:

I would suggest that the press don’t need to be scare mongering with this. Watching how world governments are reacting to this is all the evidence needed to realise how very serious this situation is. Countries don’t willingly damage their own economies for something that isn’t incredibly, incredibly serious. Iran have temporarily released 54,000 prisoners to try and contain the outbreak there. Is it a cataclysmic event? Who knows but World Governments are acting in unprecedented ways that I’ve not seen in my life time

I can think of one recent example where a government has seriously damaged their economy for no good reason.... The government's are reacting like this in part because of the way the press are reporting it. As I say, it is serious, but it is getting blown out of proportion.

Just now, cornish sam said:

I can think of one recent example where a government has seriously damaged their economy for no good reason.... The government's are reacting like this in part because of the way the press are reporting it. As I say, it is serious, but it is getting blown out of proportion.

Do you think that countries like Iran and China give a toss about what the press are saying? I’d judge the seriousness of the situation by the reactions of the people that are really in the know about what’s happening, and their reactions are enough for us to realise the severity of this 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Do you think that countries like Iran and China give a toss about what the press are saying? I’d judge the seriousness of the situation by the reactions of the people that are really in the know about what’s happening, and their reactions are enough for us to realise the severity of this 

I believe that this issue is in fact one the media are NOT leading or creating. You're best following the news about the actions of nation states to guide. Agree with you JF.

• Like 1

And look at how China responded. They quarantined the main affected area, built infrastructure to handle the increase in patient numbers and released an app utilising their mass surveillance to warn those that had potentially been exposed by being too close to those that later developed the infection (for example it only said people who had been in the same train carriage as the infected needed to be concerned, not those elsewhere on the train or in the station they passed through) and what happened? The infection rates have gone down and more people are recovering than getting sick on a daily basis now.

Iran is a different matter, partly because they denied there was a problem for too long which meant that there was a significant base rate before action or reporting and they don't have the resources to handle it effectively.

As I keep saying, it is serious, but there is a general overreaction to it. People just need to take sensible precautions and get on with their lives...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

That’s the cruise we are on departing May 9th. The worst I see happening is that the itinerary is amended to remove Livorno and at worse Italy altogether. We are hoping to visit Pisa and Florence and currently these sre still OK to visit.

That’s the one, if it goes ahead. we’ll get together for a drink, if you want. 😂💛💚

Edited by Indy

23 minutes ago, Indy said:

That’s the one, if it goes ahead. we’ll get together for a drink, if you want. 😂💛💚

Use very long straws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I look forward to it. 

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

That’s the cruise we are on departing May 9th. The worst I see happening is that the itinerary is amended to remove Livorno and at worse Italy altogether. We are hoping to visit Pisa and Florence and currently these sre still OK to visit.

Pisa a bit overrated parts like a Bank Holiday in Yarmouth selling rubbish from their stalls though Florence is well worth going to