Pugin

Number of EFL to go to the wall if worst Coronavirus predictions are accurate

7 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I'm pretty sure there have been instances of not all games being completed and the season declared finished 

The Bradford - Lincoln game comes to mind, and I think there was a game last year, can't remember the teams?

Its entirely different when every league cannot complete. It becomes impossible to establish promotion and relegation in any fair way unless everybody plays everybody else. When large amounts of money are at stake the lawyers will be salivating.

The medical scientist experts today have indicated that a UK peak might arrive in about 2 weeks. They seem quite sure about it, which I find surprising but are basing their projections on data and analyses each hour.

Edited by sonyc

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its entirely different when every league cannot complete. It becomes impossible to establish promotion and relegation in any fair way unless everybody plays everybody else. When large amounts of money are at stake the lawyers will be salivating.

Sure....these examples were just one game of one division 

Very good piece by Matt Slater of The Athletic, this morning:

https://theathletic.com/1669393/2020/03/12/coronavirus-and-football-games-closes-doors-euros-champions-league/?source=shared-article 

Slater confirms that clubs cannot independently have their employees tested for Coronavirus. The medical facilities to allow this probably does not yet exist.

In fact, The Athletic understands several clubs have tried and failed to have their players tested as the public authorities are prioritising those who have come into direct contact with a carrier or visited a high-risk country, and you cannot have the tests done privately. There is no jumping the queue in a national crisis.

He also speculatively suggests that Macclesfield, Oldham and Southend are most at risk of having to cease trading. 

Finally, he confirms that the Word Players' Union would support players who wish competitions to be suspended:

“We ask that employers and competition organizers respect the wishes of players to take short-term precautionary measures including suspending training or competitions,” said FIFPro.“We support the players and their associations who have requested a suspension or postponement of football activities in their countries or regions.”

Edited by Pugin

I believe the time has come for a coordinated response, led from the cabinet. Much greater public engagement is necessary so we don't have confusion. It's obvious that the club itself can only repeat a broad statement because the national leadership is so woolly.

I attach this link from Newsnight last night in case folk wish to read (top story...former health chief, John Ashton).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-newshttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news

Edited by sonyc

It was obvious two weeks ago that sport couldn't  continue as if nothing was happening. Closed doors option is a half measure and won't survive the acceleration period. The season is over.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I believe the time has come for a coordinated response, led from the cabinet. Much greater public engagement is necessary so we don't have confusion. It's obvious that the club itself can only repeat a broad statement because the national leadership is so woolly.

I attach this link from Newsnight last night in case folk wish to read (top story...former health chief, John Ashton).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-newshttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news

A journalist interviewed on 5 Live very early yesterday said that one of the lead scientists was leaking to the press that they had given COBRA until Friday to take strong positive action. If not they were going to break cover and be publicly critical of the Government. The interview hasn't been played again but having seen the article shared by sonyc you do have to wonder what on earth is going on 

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A journalist interviewed on 5 Live very early yesterday said that one of the lead scientists was leaking to the press that they had given COBRA until Friday to take strong positive action. If not they were going to break cover and be publicly critical of the Government. The interview hasn't been played again but having seen the article shared by sonyc you do have to wonder what on earth is going on 

Best of British political humour?